1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao calms Francis, who's triple-dip' sinks Warriors

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by story_teller, Mar 22, 2003.

1. story_teller

story_teller Member

From ESPN.com's recap of Rox-Warriors game:

Man, Yao and Stevie are really developing a great repoir on the court. It was awesome to hear Francis say, "My big man to care of me." And how about Yao letting Francis know he needs to calm his ass down (not quite as blunt of course *hehe*) and just play ball. I thought it was also cool hearing Yao say Stevie is the Rockets leader.

Dynasty & Franchise!!

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Too bad only one of them sowed up tonight.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yao is going to be a great leader. And he's a pretty good one right now!

4. story_teller

story_teller Member

huh??? You mean too bad just one TEAM showed up?

5. story_teller

story_teller Member

Totally agree. Is it safe to say that in subtle ways Yao leads now? Stevie does it @ times, but more so with his play (as opposed to being vocal like Yao).

I'd call 'em co-leaders now. And Rice is the veteran-type leader.

6. jamalccc

jamalccc Member

Yep. The wanta-be leaders yell and cuss. The real leaders lead by examples.

7. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

can't you see that Yao regards Steve as the leader of this team? He said it!!

8. jamalccc

jamalccc Member

Cat: a leader in trash talking.
    Moochie: a leader in shotclock melting.
    Boki: a leader in bench warming.
    Cato: a leader in paycheck ripping.

The leadership on our team runs deep...

9. jamalccc

jamalccc Member

yeah... Steve also said Saddam is evil, earth is round, tunafish stinks...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10. ivan_zhang

ivan_zhang Member

Haha, I think
    SF: a leader in asts
    Yao:a leader in scores and rbs.

Who is the leader of Jazz? I think it is Stockton when he is young.

11. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

I think Yao's being geninue. he's just reluctant to assume responsbility of being the leader of this team.

12. story_teller

story_teller Member

Exactly. Yao knows in the end Francis is the leader of the team. But @ the same time, from reading Stevie's comments, he respects Yao in the same way. It was Francis who started doing stretches during workouts @ practice with Yao b/4 anyone else on the team. That's why it was comical to me how some ppl wanted to start a "Yao-Francis -- who's more important to the team-rivalry." *lol*

13. story_teller

story_teller Member

What?? Stop bein' an ass, man. *lol* :p

Kinda funny what you said, though.:D

14. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Actually, the real leaders do both.

15. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

This is a joke, right? A triple double, only 3 TO's, a direct responsibilty for at least 37 points, and 2 steals is not showing up? Part of a guard group which held the offensively oriented Arenas and Richardson to 10-38 shooting is not showing up? (I'll take my chances letting Boykins beat me any day).

I was busy and had to tape the game so I have yet to see it. From the game stats my initiial conclusion is the Steve got his teammates involved in the game. IMO, that is more important than individual numbers. Perhaps I will have a different opinion after watching the tape of the game, but right now I am skeptical that will occur.

16. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

Both players were awesome tonight, and others played their part. Probably the only downside was the amount of turnovers the team had.

-G'day-

17. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

Don't agree...the greatest sports leader i have probably ever seen was Joe Montana...everyone who ever played with him said his just walking onto the filed made you sure you'd win, no matter what the score was...and his nickname was 'Joe Cool' because he never lost it and yelled...perfect example:

Super Bowl...49ers down 3 with a couple of minutes to play in what had been a hard-fought defensive battle. Montana starts the final drive with his heels literaly on his own goal line, and knowing that one big mistake or 2 or 3 little ones, and he loses the ig game...On the Cincinnatti sidelines, these flollowing conversations take place, not in a booth, but in real life;

Bengal (can't remember name ) after Bengals had just seminglt broken open game with touchdown drive with only minutes left... " Yahoo! We win! We win! Man, this thing is over."

Chris Collinsworth: " Um, have you seen who's playing quarterback for the other team? "

And Cincy head coach Sam Whyche : "God I wishh we hadn't given ( Montana) that much time...He's the best at this thing ( 2 minute drill)...*To his defensive coordinator who had been playing predominantly 3-4 2 gap rush* If you sit back there, he'll just cut us into pieces...this guy is a surgeon."

And the drive begins...by the end, Montana was perfect; his only incompletion on the entire drive was when he threw one out of bounds to stop the clock, and this on a drive where the defense knew he had to throw...but the best part, the Joe Cool part that is the reason I am telling this story here, took place towards the end of the drive...

When they had gotten about 2/3 of the way down the field, and there was about a minute left, they came into the huddle...The 49ers players were finding it hard to maintain control given the pressure of the circumstances, and one, their very young left tackle Harris Barton, admitted to finding it difficult to catch his breath, literally was almost hyperventilating he admitted later, and couldn't focus on the play call...so there, in the middle of the huddle, in front of the till then largest television audience ever, in the final drive of the Super Bowl, with almost no time on the clock, Joe Montana turns to his young LT and says " Hey H ( Bartons; nickname)...look over there, isn't that John Candy? " Barton turns and looks to where Montana is pointing,and sure enough, there is John Candy eating popcorn...Barton says he was literally amazed..he says, like everyone else has always said about Montana, that he was so incredibly calm it was as if he were playing catch in the backyard...After the Candy thing Montana then said " Okay guys, let's win this thing..." and proceeded to calmly call the play...2 plays later he hits ( his 4th option on the play!!!) John Taylor in the endzone for the Super Bowl victory...That is leadership...and it's hardly of the firey type. I admire the Messiers, the Steve Youngs, the Magic Johnsons...the fiery leaders who drag there teammates to victory, screaming along the way..but given my druthers, I'll take the Montanas, the Gretzkys, the Birds...the guys who seem to unaffected by pressure that they carry their team to victory by making each and every player calm ebough to get there on his own two feet.

18. littlefish_220

No matter who is the leader or who will be the leader, the good thing is our two best players have developed a REAL good relationship.

19. Sane

Sane Member

On a side note: Anyone notice how Jason Williams got 16assists and 0 Turnovers followed by 15 assists and 0 TO's in his last 2 games for the Grizzlies?

Wow. That guy's come a long way. That contract doesn't look too bad and next year, Sacramento will wonder why he's making HALF of what Bibby will be making.

20. story_teller

story_teller Member

EXACTLY. And that should pretty much wrap it up there.