1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Yao, be the ninja

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tmacyaorox, Oct 25, 2006.

1. tmacyaorox

tmacyaorox Contributing Member

My rookie post on this great board. I read a post on Palm Beach Post and thought it's interesting. I could not believe it's what shaq said.
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/heat/content/sports/epaper/2006/10/23/a2c_heat_1023.html

"There will come a time in my career as a master where a young ninja will take me out," O'Neal said, using another in a long line of martial arts metaphors. "That's just how it happens. If you look at all the karate movies that's how they go. There's one young hungry ninja and he has to beat the guy with the white beard. The old guy with the white beard is the one you have to take out."

What did shaq suggest? Yao, be ready this season!!

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

[​IMG]

SHAQ-FU!!!!!!!!111!!1!!!!

3. LFE171

LFE171 Member

^^^ i was thinkin more like pai mei...

[​IMG]

4. yaozhuxi

yaozhuxi Contributing Member

yeah, will be happening tonighte.

5. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

He could be talking about Yao, or he could be talking about D-Howard whom the Heat played against last night. There have been comparisons made between Howard and Shaq.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

wow that means shaq thinks all asians are ninjas. how racist.

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Can a Chinese person be a ninja? Wouldn't that upset the Japanese?

8. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

First of all, Shaq doesn't have hair on his head.

Secondly, Jet Li isn't in the NBA

9. tsunami

tsunami Member

Is this a Chinese Ninja ?

[​IMG]

10. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Btw, isn't Shaq already a Sheriff? He just wants to be everything, doesn't he?

so Shaq is a Philosopher, Sheriff, and now a Kung Fu Master?

11. Khal80

Khal80 Contributing Member

Shaq was on Quite Frankly a while ago and when he was asked about other big men in the league he didnt even mention Yao's name

He did refer to amare and d.howard though

he is not the only person who thinks they are better big men, only knock is they are not true centers

He also said he is the only true center left

12. Fijiman

Fijiman Contributing Member

I thought Jet Li was planning on retiring from action films? If so, maybe we can put him on the bench. He'd be pretty handy against Bruce "Lee" Bowen! And he can take Ryan Bowen's spot. C'mon Cap Space Gurus, make it happen!

13. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

Well since Yao has already surpassed Shaq, Yao doesn't need to "take him out", that was accomplished in his second season.

14. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Well, that says a lot about how Shaq views Yao Ming, in fact, as a true center. He has no problem to praise Amare and Howard, because they play different style. I just don't want Yao to play too hard tonight. If he gets Shaq really upset, Shaq might throw elbows around.

15. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

The elbows Yao can handle; he gets 'em every night. It's Shaq's stupid-large clown feet I'm warier about. I thin Yao'll be fine, though.

16. YallMean

YallMean Member

I think this metaphor is way off. In this case, Shaq is not wiser , stronger and Yao is not little. Actually, he is the opposite of an old master. He is more like a washed out old timer, which used to the hercules of the league.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

more like?

he is, exactly that.

18. GoatBoy

GoatBoy Member

If Tom Cruise can be the Last Samurai, then Yao Ming can be a young ninja. I'm a firetruck.

I doubt there's a single GM In the league that would rather have Shaq than Yao.

19. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I'm not surprised. First, it's obvious Shaq has the maturity of a 15 yr old. That's why when Shaq feels most threatened by Yao he won't even recognize him. He mentions Amare and Howard but like he said they aren't actually centers thus there's not really a comparison anyways.

I don't blame Shaq for still feeling like he's the best center, but there's no harm in saying Yao is next in line. I think deep down he knows he's already in 2nd and slipping.

20. napalm

napalm Contributing Member

I wouldn't call Shaq washed out. Sure, he is declining rapidly, but he is far from washed out. As for Shaq giving credit to D.Howard and Amare, he isn't the only one overlooking Yao. Lots of the national media are doing the same (dime mag picked D.Howard as their choice to take over from Shaq the other day).

The good thing is that Yao knows that the only way to shut all these so called 'pundits' up (and to shut Shaq up) is to play the games. Like he said in his rookie year 'basketball isn't something you talk about, tis something you play and show people'. Ehh, something to that effect anyway :) .