1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao #9 in MVP Ranking

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rayrocket, Feb 27, 2009.

1. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

Last night's game moved him from 10 to 9. If everything goes well, guess he will end up in top five.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/rob_peterson/02/27/kobe_tops.mvp.20090227/index.html

PPG RPG APG SPG BPG FG% FT%
    19.9 9.6 1.7 0.4 1.7 .550 .864

Last Week's Rank - 10
    Yao, who's been in and out of the top 10 most of the season, put on a clinic against the Cavs on Thursday night, hitting 13 of his 15 field goal attempts. His numbers don't scream M-V-P, but now that everything runs through him, you may see them go up.

2. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

Apparently Efficiency Doesn't matter, its about the Points.....

There is a big difference between Getting 25 pts on 20 shots and 20 pts on 13 shots.

3. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

looks like efficiency number was not counted.

Which bothers me most is that Yao did not get respect from Refs. Many of those frontings, doublings are all fouls, but Yao did not get the call. I watched several Oranldo games, superman really gets SUPERSTAR whistles.

4. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

I do not think Yao's numbers will up a lot, and I do not want it either. This team is at its best when Yao has 20, Artest 15, Scola 15, Brooks 12, Vafer 10 ,....

5. ibm

ibm Member

yao will not never be an mvp. not before the officiating straightens out for him.

6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I just checked Howard's foul% and he gets fouled on 27.2% of his shot attempts. Certainly that has a lot to do with how bad of a free throw shooter he is, but still...that's far and away more than anyone I've seen. Shaq is 21.5%, which is the second highest I could find. Yao is 16.3%, but part of that is because teams don't want to put him on the line...so comparing those numbers is inconclusive.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

So, Yao will ALWAYS be an MVP? :confused:

8. beyao

beyao Contributing Member

Yao really needs to shoot that 10-15 ft jumper in high volume...if he shoots enough, he'll hit a high percentage and it's an UNSTOPPABLE shot.

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Yao will become an MVP when he can take a double team and not have to pass out

10. 2rings

2rings Member

Amen. Raw scoring numbers are one of the most overrated stats in sports. There are a lot chuckers that can put up points but dominate thye ball and shoot a very poor percentage. In fact, we have one on our team that has recently undergone a medical procedure.

11. 2rings

2rings Member

Could not agree more. History lesson: when Hakeem tried to stop beating the double team by scoring on it nad passed the ball out was when the Rockets really took off during the championship years. Double teams cause an imbalance in opponents defense if the ball is swung to the weak side effectively. Open shots abound. offense clicks.

12. 2rings

2rings Member

Sorry, meant to type could not DISagree more.

13. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Thats a 11% difference and you have to think about the fact that Yao gets more touches than Dwight. Yao gets no respect.

14. scalper

scalper Member

umm a few years back when Tmac went out...

and we all still were wondering if Yao was going to be a good player or not... he suddenly decided instead of passing the ball he would take on the double teams(remember that???)... it was the New York game... not only did he kill the doubles and triples and in games following at times all five players...

id love to see that Yao again... but... I remember even the scrub players back then coming out in the news saying we are here trust us....

I can understand... there are 5 players on the floor for your team...

I think Yao would trust the role players today even more...

not only are they as good or better on defense...

they a miles better on offense...

15. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

Yao is too Unselfish that everytime he got doubled he'll look for the open teamate for the open shot.

16. scalper

scalper Member

agreed although Id like Yao to take on the doubles every once in a while
    even triples...

just to keep the defense honest... make them commit to hard doubles ... make it easier for the others to get open shots...

17. Setuablaz3

Setuablaz3 Rookie

If numbers are what makes you mvp then Yao may never be one. Not that he could not but rather he would not.

Yao plays a team game and he would be happy with 15-7 if thats what wins championship.

Some of these so called journalists and experts baffle me. Rockets is arguably a top 5 team (Boston, La, Sa, Cavs, Rox) and this team has gone through ups and downs like no other team this season. A huge part of why that has happened is consistency Yao provides when team needs bailing out. Boston has had big 4, La has had the same, Sa has 3 of their own, Cavs have
    Mo helping out Lbj in a weak weak conference. Whereas here, outside of Scola, we had some streaky shootings of Brooks and Wafer. Battier has not been himself and Artest only came here to play after all-star.

I just hope that this team develops even deeper bond and surprises few people.

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Howard is always going to the goal so he is rewarded by being aggressive. When yao plays aggressive, he get fouls in his favor, but when they don't call fouls, he starts to become passive and shoot fade a ways.

19. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

lmfao

20. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

Yao is one of the least "deviating" players in the NBA, guys like Devin harris will have 40 one night and then shoot 5/18 and give u 16 pts, Yao's consistency on offense is what I like about him. Yao's career high is 41 pts, Villanueva's is 50 :D. The only thing inefficient about Yao is the turnovers, but honestly I couldn't expect anything more from a man of his size who can still be considered top 10 player in the league in a game that is geared toward 6-7 athletes who can run up and down the court at great speed with incredible mobility.