1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yang Yi] preserving anonymity is how you protect your source

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaoterminator, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Yaoterminator

Yaoterminator Member

link: http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_44bec1440100buih.html

T-mac is currently the hottest issue of the Rockets. Some call him cancer of the team, some say a trade is on the horizon, while his apologists are still counting on his resurgence. Opinions divide, and you can’t tell which is right.

Information about T-mac comes from two sources. One is the official source. With voice recorders thrust in front and the red light of cameras on, those in the center of the issue, namely DM, RA and Yao, never lashed at T-mac or admitted to the locker room problems. According to them, T-mac is still the cornerstone of the team, and harmony prevails in the team.

But from all media outlets, Chinese or American, local or non-local, you can read about how the team is stuck in a quagmire, about T-mac already irking the coach (of course the coach didn’t admit it), and about T-mac criticizing Yao for being too soft and Yao wanting him out (which they didn’t admit either). You can always read something like this: “ a player” said before a game, “I wish I could be him and decide on whether to play by tossing a coin”, and “another player” said that “it won’t be worse if we trade him for Marbury” or “someone close to the management” said “Alexander is really pissed off and is set to trade T-mac”.

Since none of these has happened, and all the quotes were from “one player” or “another”, these are classified as rumor. But if you regard these as total bull**** coming from nowhere, it indicates that you don’t know about journalism and NBA, and you don’t even know much about life.

Using anonymous quotes and sources is how reporters get news and how they protect the source. It is an unwritten law especially in American journalistic circle. Look no further than the Watergate scandal. The journalists and editors of the Washington Post kept the identity of Deep Throat in secret for decades. But the credibility of the information provided by Deep Throat was not weakened, and finally it resulted in the downfall of Nixon. In NBA, most GMs kept their secret roster moves until the last minute. Such precedence abounds. Four years agao, Dawson and Jeff van Gundy told Steve and the press that he was not gonna leave. The next day, he was officially one of the Magic.

So, no one openly talking about the problems and no management openly talking about a trade doesn’t mean the Rockets are not making a move. Life tells us, no smoke, no fire. Not every rumor is necessarily true, but not all rumors are fabricated. Combing the recent rumors and we will know that, 1) T-mac is injured. But attitude, rather than injury, causes the problem; 2) the problems are known to more and more outsiders. Lots of players began to mock him. He has lost his teammates’ respect; and 3) the Rockets would like to trade him without exposing the problems. Once the problems are publicized, the Rockets would be cornered as the next Knicks. It would render a trade more difficult and the team without a leeway. Just like the Knick, which paid Marbury without having his service for a single minute.

If you are convinced that a trade is on the horizon, you don’t know much about NBA either. NBA boils down to business. T-mac is Alexander’s resource worth $20m a year. However serious the problem, he still has value. They won’t just ditch him without reasonable return. Since T-mac’s attitude problem is known to all in the league, his value has shrunk sharply, which makes a trade extremely difficult. If no trade is feasible before the deadline, the Rockets would prefer to keep him till the summer, and make other plans after the season.

In two weeks, T-mac will be back. When he is on the court, he will still possess the ball. He would probably still be on fire in some matches, getting 30 points and triple-doubles. When T-mac is brilliant, the problems would be invisible temporarily – something Alexander and DM would like to see. Only when T-mac flies again, can he help the team win and regain his value. Then the team can get something out of a trade in the summer.

It’s not necessarily a countdown yet. Let’s just wait.

===============================================
    This is a news analysis rather than a random blog entry.

There is hardly anything new in this article actually. But I kind of feel that he is rebutting some of the fans here who said that his last blog entry was bull**** for the lack of a source. Now he gives you the answer. He definitely checks this forum every day. So if you would like to bombard him, go ahead please.

2. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

Are you Yang Yi or someone close to him?

3. WarioMillie

WarioMillie Member

I am not a crook.

[​IMG]

4. Raven

Raven Member

Never sell low. It's incumbent upon the Rockets to get decent value, which I think is impossible right now, and the worst thing that can happen is if the team takes back some bad contracts in order to get something done.

I just hope the drama cools off and Tracy realizes how close he is to screwing up the rest of his career.

5. Yaoterminator

Yaoterminator Member

no.
    I m just an ordinary Chinese fan who likes the rockets, feels sorry about Yao's inconsistency, and occasionally translates some Chinese news into English.

I only translate those written by people supposedly close to Yao, like Yang Yi and Yu Jia. So guys like Su Qun are out of the picture.

6. bluesinsoul

bluesinsoul Member

Yang Yi sux.

7. blender

blender Member

Yaoterminator, did you translate that entire column? Great job and thanks.

Yang Yi writes, "Not every rumor is necessarily true, but not all rumors are fabricated." This is where I think the McGrady situation is at right now. There are too many stories on the tension to dismiss it entirely, but too many conflicting reports (and too few words from the involved parties themselves) to believe it all.

When emotions are involved, it's too easy misinterprete words that may have been spoken in stream of thought, with little real intent from the speaker. Which is why I try to be especially wary when anonymous sources talk about what they overheard regarding the Rockets.

8. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

or it is possible there is a person on the Rockets staff who hates TMAC yet has a good enough position that a reporter thinks him to be credible. Then he just makes crap up to get TMAC crapped upon.

9. Yaoterminator

Yaoterminator Member

I only translated the latest two blog entries.

I disagree with u. You believe that "too few words from the involved parties themselves" has worsened the situation. But if everyone involved is telling party lines instead of what is really on their mind, hearing more from them won't do any good.

At this moment, quotes from "one player" or "another" are probably more credible than words on every rockets players' "interview guideline" that they are refering to.

10. yj2317916

yj2317916 New Member

:eek: your post is public at cn.nba.com

11. Rocketsgo

Rocketsgo Member

Thank you for your good translation. ;)

12. Crush

Crush Rookie

Except why would a person on the Rocket staff hate T-mac? There are only a few reasons I can think of. These aren't just random clutchfans members

13. blender

blender Member

Sorry, I should have written "too few genuine words from the involved parties." I agree, at this point it's hard to believe Yao or McGrady when they publicly say everything's fine.

Right now, I take the players' words with a grain of salt, as much as I do with the words of anonymous sources. The truth is somewhere in there but it's hard to get at.

As for the quotes, I don't doubt that a player said "Let me flip a coin and let you know if I'm playing or not" (something like that) or an "extremely plugged-in person" said "Yao wants Tracy out." I don't think the reporters are making up these quotes; I believe someone did actually say these words.

However, I do question the context in which the words were said, or the interpretation provided by the sources.

And I try to be especially wary when reporters or columnists use the "trust me, I know what's going on" or "my sources tell me" card. Even when they turn out to be right, it strikes me as lazy reporting and ripe for abuse. If their sources told them something, I'd expect them to follow it up to the best of their abilities, and then report on it.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

True or not, everyone has to be doing the same thing.

Waiting on Tmac...(to quote my favorite movie)

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."

DD

15. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

don't belive at all...

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

denniscd hates Carroll Dawson. He has portrayed CD as a human scum. And he is supposed to be an insider or close to some insiders. Do you believe CD is that bad? It is obvious that CD did something that REALLY pissed off denniscd or his source.

I don't know if this is something comparable to the T-Mac situation with "insider" information.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So basically everyone is lying but Yang Yi?

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The writer of this piece apparently doesn't know much about journalism. Woodward and Bernstein's Watergate coverage didn't solely rely on Deep Throat for the source material but was highly corroborated. Deep Throat tipped them off and pointed them in the right direction but this wasn't a matter of Woodward and Bernstein just writing what he told them and then watching the fallout. They would've lost their jobs and rightly so if they had. done. Just in the past few years there have been a few scandals involving Dan Rather and the NY Times in the past few years regarding citing anonymous sources with little coroboration that have gotten the reporters in trouble. In a couple of cases the reporters where flat out fabricating the story and when it was shown they couldn't corroborate it they got canned.

So yes journalists will rely on anonymous sources and will seek to protect them but any good journalist will try to corroborate that with other information that isn't anonymous.

How this is matters to the current situation is that Yang seems to be saying "this is an anonymous source and since we know reporters like Bob Woodward have used anonymous sources we should trust these anonymous sources." Yes, good reporters who won Pulitzers have used anonymous sources but they also back up what those anonymous sources are saying with a whole lot of evidence. Just saying you have an anonymous source and that is what you are basing your story on though doesn't make it any more reliable without corroboration.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

People will believe or not, it is a personal choice.

Annonymous sources are everywhere, the key is to look at the history of the journalist that is writing it.

David Aldridge is a very credible source, he is usually right, but believe what you want.

And you can not compare an investigative journalism piece like Watergate to the NBA, that is silly....one is an in depth investigation, the other is a race to get new info out as quickly as possible.

DD

20. Yaoterminator

Yaoterminator Member

Very insightful.

I myself major in journalism, too. And I learned something here from you. Thank you very much.

I guess Yang Yi is gonna learn a lesson here, too.