1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Walt Frazier says James Harden reminds him of himself 'because he makes it look so easy'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YallMean, Mar 21, 2017.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

And, dadgum, pure class and fun!

the shark likes this.
  2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Don't be mad that yer an old fart....

Os Trigonum likes this.
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The anti-beard to Harden's beard-beard. You could press their beards together and combine them into a single object, like puzzle pieces.

4. the shark

the shark Member

Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than open it and remove all doubt. Please save your breath from here on out as you'll probably need it to blow up your next date.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Clyde Frazier was a Hall of Fame caliber player.

However, James Harden is better and it really isn't debatable.

James Harden has to do far more than Frazier ever had to do.

6. the shark

the shark Member

"A Hall of Fame caliber player"?

HE'S IN THE HALL OF FAME!!! Voted one of the 50 greatest players of all-time.

"Isn't debatable"?

Would you say it's "debatable" between Kawhi and Harden?

Clyde was voted All-NBA 1st team FOUR times ('70, '72, '74 & '75) and the 2nd team twice ('71 & '73).

He was voted to the 1st team All-NBA Defensive team SEVEN TIMES ('69-'75). So he played both ends of the court something that Harden will doesn't do!

"Isn't debatable"? I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and $hit out a smarter statement than this.

7. eman

eman Contributing Member

Not many commenters in here came to love basketball, like I did, from watching Clyde and those Knicks teams. Forgive them. They know not of what they write. Clyde was a primarily defensive player, maybe the best defensive guard ever. His physical and mental tools would translate very well to today's NBA. Could drop 40 whenever he wanted-- and there was no 3-pt line back then-- and always made his teammates better, always kept the ball moving. Those early 70s Knicks had the best passing in the history of basketball, and Clyde was a big part of that.

I do see some of Clyde in Harden at times. They have almost identical physical tools. As a Rockets fan, I hope Harden will have Clyde's consistent effort, concentration, and stamina on the defensive end in the playoffs. Wouldn't be a bad idea for MDa to show the Rox some tape of the '73 Knicks, and tell Harden and Bev to watch Clyde, EGo and Lou to watch Pearl, Bibby, and Barnett, Ariza to watch Bradley, Ryno to watch DeBusschere and Lucas, Dekker and MonstaTrezz to watch Jackson (yes, Phil "Action" Jackson; you're officially old when you remember him as a player), Nene and Capela to watch Reed...

saleem, the shark and Os Trigonum like this.
  8. Fantasma Negro

Walt Clyde with a Euro step and a three point shot, I'll accept that

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

chippiness is occurring

10. the shark

the shark Member

Well said!

eman likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

I never said that he wasn't a Hall of Famer... I said is that caliber

Frazier was a very good NBA player and a Hall of Famer, but he was never a #1 option and his prime was short.

Frazier was a good defensive player...on a team surrounded by other good defensive players.

There have been a lot of very good defensive players in the NBA, and that doesn't make them better than players of the ilk of James Harden. Defense is largely based on team defense and scheme.

All Defensive Teams means little to me.

Larry Bird made all Defensive Teams and was a poor defender.

Kobe Bryant didn't guard anyone for a decade and made all NBA Defensive teams.

It is a meaningless honor, especially from 40 years ago.

The impact that James Harden makes on a basketball court is vastly superior to what Walt Frazier did.

It never said that Frazier wasn't a Hall of Fame worthy player....... but he never had the impact that someone like James Harden has had.

I love the false narrative of players playing both ends of the court.

There are very very few players that carry the offensive load that James Harden carries and also were good defenders.

When you look at the list of players that have the type of usage, you will notice that few played good defense and were making the kind of impact Harden is offensively.

Larry Bird wasn't a good defender, neither was Magic Johnson. Oscar Robertson was a mediocre defender. Dr. J wasn't very good at it either.... Charles Barkley, Kobe Bryant, Steph Curry and Westbrook all had serious defensively limitations?

What do all these players have in common? They were/are better than Walt Frazier.

When a player has a smaller offensive load or is a second scorer, it is a lot easier to spend time and effort defending.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

'Drop Back Baby' was not on the '73 squad; the human coat hanger was on both, of course. Good post.

BTW - - W'C'F was kryptonite to TheLogo!

eman likes this.
  13. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

I see more similarities between Walt and Kawhi then James.

About Kobe not being a good defender, he was a much better defensive presence during the shaq 3 peat years. And yes, he take a huge step back when he was the main focus on offense, but when it comes to clutch defending, Kobe is almost as good as one can be.

14. threepointshot3

Sorry Walt, but Harden is a lot better then you.

15. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

I wonder if Clyde enjoys A1 sauce on his $200 steak, or maybe he's just fond of women who posses very large asses?

Also, does Clyde embrace the lettuce? If all of these questions are answered yes then that's a real game changer and I could see him being the true father of the beard.

eman likes this.
  16. the shark

the shark Member

Obviously you never saw Frazier play, because if you did you wouldn't be calling him a "good" defensive player.

He was the point guard on not one but TWO championship teams and from 69-75 (when he was voted 1st team all-D) he averaged over 21 pts a game (and like eman stated previously could go off for 40 on any given night...like in a gm 7 of the championship which he did). Let's see if Harden ever accomplishes this (or if he ever makes it to the finals). As a Rocket fan I'd love to see it happen!

Os Trigonum and eman like this.
  17. the shark

the shark Member

Let's also remember that there wasn't a three PT line during Frazier's era so you could probably add 2-3 more pts per game to his average given Clyde's shooting range. So around 24-25 pts a game and considered one of the greatest defensive players of all-time. Yes he did it on BOTH ends of the court.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

at the risk of dating myself, I'm in this club as well. ;)

eman likes this.
  19. amaru

amaru Member

The Spurs don't have tattoos huh?

Guess he's never really looked at Leonard, Aldridge, Green and Simmons lol