1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Walt Frazier says James Harden reminds him of himself 'because he makes it look so easy'

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YallMean, Mar 21, 2017.

1. YallMean

YallMean Member

Never watched Frazier play. Wish I did. But really like to listen to him on NYK broadcast.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/walt-f...cause-he-makes-it-look-so-easy-155837780.html

It was a leading question, nearly rhetorical, and Walt Frazier was on to it fast when he was asked if there were any one player from his glory days with the Knicks that James Harden reminded him of.

He needed only a second or three before taking a figurative look in the mirror.

“Yeah, me,” Frazier told The Vertical while sitting courtside before a recent game at Madison Square Garden. “Because he makes it look so easy. He’s so composed, so in control, and it’s so rare now to see a guy, especially of his caliber, that’s not going all helter-skelter.”

Frazier, also a defensive stalwart, was referring strictly to the offensive end when he spoke of Harden’s minimalist grace, his canny and seemingly effortless knack of getting to where he needs to go. In his day, that was how Frazier operated, to the point where critics accused him of loafing, not caring, all the way to the only two titles the Knicks have ever won and ultimately into the Hall of Fame.

Millennials may be interested to know that Frazier – a lead guard (before there was such positional designation) who helped define NBA chic during the late 1960s and throughout the loud sartorial decade that followed – also wore a poker game face that included a stylish beard.

Just one not as long, noticeable and certainly less marketable than that rabbinical tangle of growth stretching far south of Harden’s chin.

[​IMG]
    James Harden keeps it low-key on the court. (AP)

As much as we are tempted to make this about appearance, it is more about aura, about a throwback approach to the days when it was constructive to be calm, cool to be cool, and the blank expression and penetrating eyes gave away nothing. Now basketball, in step with a greater culture of audacity and showmanship that knows few limits, is largely inhabited by serial chest bumpers, fist shakers and primal screamers.

This is no get-off-my-lawn condemnation, and not even that determined of a complaint, just a wistful concession that so many players in too many sports feel the need to punctuate their brilliant athleticism with a choreography of gyrations. They react and overreact to the 24-hour television highlights cycle and, especially in basketball arenas, to the pulsating, pounding, bleating and adrenalin-overdosing phenomenon known as the NBA in-game experience.

When, exactly, did it become so uncool to be cool, a behavioral transgression to be punished by banishment to the Tim Duncan School of Proper Comportment in San Antonio? Hard to say, though we all have a memory or two of when it was obvious that the pendulum had swung too far in one direction, creating a vacuum in stylistic diversity.

Here’s one that comes to mind: In early 1996, Magic Johnson made a brief comeback to the Lakers, debuting on a January evening against the Warriors. Early in the game, he missed one of his long unorthodox jumpers from the right wing. The rebound went high into the lane to Vlade Divac, who quick-touched a pass back to Magic.

With the young Latrell Sprewell in his way, Magic faked a shovel pass in the direction of the baseline, where no one was present. Sprewell lunged, nearly out of bounds. Magic dribbled into the vacated space, laid the ball in gently off the glass and jogged casually up court with barely a glance back.

Had that scenario been reversed, Sprewell would no doubt have seized the opportunity to read Magic the riot act, howl to the retired jerseys in the old Great Western Forum. Even two decades ago, at that moment, Magic stood out as an anachronism, a fading, dying breed.

How understated on the court was Walt Frazier? He never was hit with a technical foul. He didn’t even retaliate when clocked in the back of the head by the Baltimore Bullets’ Phil Chenier, who was aiming for Bill Bradley.

He was the oldest of nine kids, the one in control. And a school coach gave him, as a temperamental young teen, a good piece of advice. “He said, ‘Frazier, don’t lose your head, your brains are in it,’ ” Frazier said.

[​IMG]
    Walt Frazier drives to the basket at Madison Square Garden in 1973. (AP)

His practiced poker face served him well against the greats of his day, Jerry West and Oscar, too. But he has watched the game evolve the past three decades with bemusement from his perch in the Knicks’ television broadcast booth.

“I’ve wondered if I’d be doing the same things these guys are doing,” he said. “I have to say I don’t think I would be showing all that emotion, caught up with hoopla and pageantry, all the three fingers to the head thing, like Carmelo [Anthony].”

In the ranking of committed stoics, Harden is no Kawhi Leonard, the model Spur now that Duncan has retired. Compared to Leonard, Harden is Russell Westbrook. In early December, after Leonard canned a decisive jumper in the final seconds against the Wizards, he went crazy, for him, with the wimpiest of fist pumps on his way back to the bench for a timeout.

“And look at the Spurs,” Frazier said. “No tattoos. No yelling. No controversies. They just win, and nobody cares about them.”

That’s an overstatement of sorts. Leonard, an MVP candidate along with Harden, Westbrook and LeBron James, is increasingly recognized as the best two-way player in the league. But Frazier’s point that “it’s easier to get attention when you have the gimmicks and glitz” is well taken.

With his commercial popularity soaring, can Harden – perhaps along with an emerging Leonard – pull that pendulum back some, impress upon a fair share of young wannabes that there may be a price to pay for all the screaming and styling? Can they convince the kids that cool is not only cool, it’s practical?

“Harden, he might play another 20 years the way he rarely wastes emotion or energy, is always under control,” Frazier said. “Every move he makes has a purpose. In that respect, mostly, he reminds me of me.”

Frazier, wearing a sports coat that looked like it was peeled off a leopard, got up to leave, reminding us that clothes don’t make the man, or at least the player, and to understand his likeness with Harden, one must go beyond the beard.

2. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Clyde was my fav ever NBAer until Magic joined him on 'my' pedestal. So great, so cool. His Game 7 v Lakes, The Willis Game, is so mindful of Johnson's Game 6 v Sixers (sans Kareem).

But, their games? I don't see it. Not even demeanor. But, if Clyde sees it then cool!

wekko368, the shark and YallMean like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

another thread that deserves more love. certainly better than all the sensitive, whiny, hand-ringing b****-about-the-media-that-hates-Harden threads

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Haha:

YallMean likes this.
  5. the shark

the shark Member

Clyde was my favorite player as well, and I agree with you about his and Harden's games being nothing alike.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

....except that the "makes it look easy" lede is deviously intended to question his work ethic and feed negative stereotypes dating back to when Jack Johnson was the first African American boxing champion who was also saddled with this label. (Note - he was also a Galveston native - are you detecting a theme?)

Conclusion: BACKHANDED COMPLIMENT INTERPOLATED BY WRITER

Conspiracy: LOGGED

Swiss Roll likes this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I dig your work man

8. Nook

Nook Member

James Harden is a better player than Walt Frazier ever was.

Remlap and RasaqBoi like this.
  9. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I never saw Walt Frazier play but me thinks this dude just trying to put himself at the level of Harden with such a comparison

Clown

RasaqBoi likes this.
  10. YallMean

YallMean Member

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's Clyde on and off the court.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  12. Caesar

Caesar Member

Wasn't Frazier known as a really good defender though? like one of the best ever at his position?

13. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Walt Frazier wishes he was on Hardens level. More like Billups / Andre Miller style.

Either way cool props from the old man.

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Clyde's style was similar (not exactly the same, so don't f%#king roast me, CF) to the other Clyde, Drexler. Frazier was a little smoother, and Drexler maybe a little more forceful in his style of play, but you get the idea. They were both very fluid and had an economy of motion that was awesome to watch.

#14 topfive, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    macho GRANDE and YallMean like this.
  15. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Very cool article. I expect a crap ton between now and MVP votes cast.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

And, man the backcourt with Clyde ad Black Jesus. I mean...wow!

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The man was one of the greatest. Reality is his top shelf was for 'only' awe years, fell off precipitously too soon. But for those years he was as good a matrix of O, D, and leader ever on the hardwood.

18. the shark

the shark Member

"I never saw Walt Frazier play but"

Then STFU because you're clueless!!!!

19. the shark

the shark Member

Yes Caesar he was one of the greatest defensive players in the history of the NBA. Game 7 in the NBA finals he had 36 pts, 19 assists, 7 rebounds (and if they kept steals as a stat back then he would have had between 5-10). There wasn't a three PT line back then either.

Caesar and DMO (DJ remix) like this.
  20. the shark

the shark Member

One of the best ever!!!