1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Yahoo-The player the Detroit Pistons paid $26 million to go away has been on fire for the Houston Ro

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HangTime, Feb 13, 2015.

1. HangTime

HangTime Member

Maybe this is posted but i didnt see it anywhere....delete if needed.

Duane Burleson/AP Josh Smith has been on fire in February.

The Detroit Pistons shocked the NBA world in December when they unexpectedly cut Josh Smith and gave him remainder of his $26 million salary to go away.

The Pistons used a special rule called the "stretch provision" to extend Smith's remaining salary over five years to lessen the financial impact, but the move still came as a shock because Smith was the Pistons' premier free agent signing two years ago.

When Smith was cut, he hit free agency and signed with the Houston Rockets for one year for $2 million. The signing was questioned by some — Smith had been a disaster in the Pistons' offense, and his propensity for low-percentage shots didn't seem to fit with the Rockets' analytical offensive attack.

Rockets GM Daryl Morey explained the signing pretty simply:

"For me, it's not that difficult. He's been an elite defender in this league. Maybe he was having a tough year in Detroit. I don't know what went into that. But when you're in a competition of 30 (teams), especially a competition in the West, you've got to get talent, you've got to take chances on guys."

After a little bit of a bumpy start to his tenure in Houston, Smith has been on fire for the third-place Rockets.

In February, Smith is averaging 16 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 1 steal, and 1 block per game in 31 minutes per game. His shooting — the biggest question mark about his fit with the Rockets — has been red hot, hitting 47.6% of his shots from the field, 48% of his shots from three (on five attempts per game).

With Smith on the floor in February, the Rockets have a 7.2 net rating, third best on the team. That number falls to -12 with Smith off the floor. In other words, the Rockets are losing when he's on the bench.

With Dwight Howard out several weeks with a knee injury, Smith has stepped up as James Harden's sidekick. Though the Rockets lost to the Clippers Wednesday night, Smith showed his all-around game, tallying 21 points on 8-17 shooting, 13 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 blocks, and 1 steal.

History suggests Smith's shooting will come back down to Earth — he's 28% career three-point shooter. But the signing that several people mocked is paying off for Houston. Smith is simply a versatile talent giving the Rockets great minutes in a tight Western Conference

2. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Great news and what we hoped for as Rocket's fans. Let's hope he can step it up even another notch come playoff time!

3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I remember the end of the Phoenix game in late January when Mchale didn't play Smith in favor of playing Dorsey, I almost lost my mind. The reaction is how you know Smith is doing well. I know it will be hard to continue that type of shooting for long but if he cools off I hope he heats up again in the playoffs.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I really hope we can keep him with the MLE.

5. Lando

Lando Member

J Smooooooth FTW

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is really playing well now. It's a blessing for us. Keep it up Josh!

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Great pickup by Morey, it was an obvious one and I was amazed to see there were people upset about it.

One thing I've come to notice about Smith is how silky and fluid his jumper looks. Just watching his form you would think that he's a lights out shooter.

8. CertifiedTroll

When he spots up for a shot, and doesn't try to do some Trevor Ariza off balance stuff he is pretty good at the three.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It's good this worked out so well for both teams. SVG should have traded Smith last summer instead of waiting to cut him. He hasn't been able to play SF effectively for many years.

What a bonanza for the Rockets!

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

The guy has been playing off the charts but he still has one or two WTF moments ina game especially when somehow he decides to launch a long 2 which is inevitably a brick.

Stick to the paint and the 3 ball which you are shooting well Smithy

1 person likes this.
  11. joeson332

joeson332 Member

His contributions exceed his miscues thats for sure, I'd take that in heartbeat.

12. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I guess some folks were worried he'd tank the team's chemistry because of how poorly Detroit had been playing when he was there. And in fairness, he didn't fit in at all as a starter(the Rockets went 1-3).

But as the Rockets' 6th man, he's been outstanding. Way way better than I ever imagined. He's become the team's secondary playmaker behind Harden and aside from the occasional dumb Lin-esque turnover, he's pretty good in that capacity. His teammates are finally accustomed to receiving his passes which is reflected in the decrease in turnovers over the past couple weeks(well, that and Dwight being out).

Also his defense and rebounding have been solid. He saved us in that Mavs game a few weeks ago when Harden was struggling and banged up. Also, the 3-point shooting is unbelievable. Now I do think he'll level off over time. Remember that Brewer was shooting lights out when he first arrived here and he's regressed considerably since then. But what I love is that Smith isn't resorting to dumb 3's. He takes most of them in the flow of the offense when he has his feet set and is wide open. Analytics. Right, Chuck?

Now my concern is no longer about Smith's ability to fit in and play well, but whether the Rockets will be able to bring him back next season. I'm sure Smith wants to stay here, but he's gonna get a decent offer from someone out there. I hope Morey can find some "flexibility" under the cap to resign him.

#12 count_dough-ku, Feb 13, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  13. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Dude is gonna be HUGE in the playoffs against all the elite PFs. I know that isn't exactly an original take but I don't think we will fully appreciate it until we watch him lock down some folks in the paint come playoff time.

I dream of what it would have been like to have had him in last year's playoffs against the Blazers and would LOVE a rematch this year.

14. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

Its still early but ill have my first helping of crow. I was someone that didnt want him if he was free lol. But i was wrong and am pleasently surprised at how well he has played for us so far.

15. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Plenty of people early on were right to criticize Smith, but not necessarily Morey for bringing Smith in (since clearly the guaranteed starter talk wasn't set in stone).

Smith shot pretty bad those first few games he started over DMo, and to make matters worse Detroit went on a monster tear right after they let him go. Now we're praising Smith because he's playing great within the context of his role as a 6th man. If his shooting goes down the drain and some of those touch passes and behind the back passes start to miss their targets we'll all turn on him again.

I'm reserving judgment until this year's playoffs are over.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Definitely an Anti-Analytic move that paid off.

17. SemisolidSnake

Well, in The Piston's defense, they are from Detroit. Wasting obscene amounts of money on stupid decisions is in their blood.

18. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

On the offense, yes. It was a Analytics slam dunk on the defensive end.

19. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been very pleasantly surprised by Smith. No doubt, his 3's are going to cool off and that's fine. As long as he recognizes it and doesn't force the issue, he'll continue to be a major positive with the rest of his game.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Wasn't anti-analytic at all.