1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo! Sports] Russell to Jordan: Game on

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by GRENDEL, Sep 14, 2009.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Russell to Jordan: Game on

By Marc J. Spears, Yahoo! Sports
    Sep 13, 2:28 am EDT

Bryon Russell has a message for Michael Jordan: Whenever you’re ready, I’ll be waiting in California – in my basketball shorts.

“I’ll play his a— right now,” Russell told Yahoo! Sports. “This is a call-out for him to come play me. He can come out here in his private jet and come play. He’s got millions of dollars. He can pay for the jet. He can meet me at the Recreation Center in Calabasas.

“We can have Mark Jackson do the commentating. We can have Mitch Richmond do the officiating. We can put it on TV and see if Michael’s still got it.”

Jordan spent much of his enshrinement speech at the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame singling out players and coaches who had slighted, criticized or motivated him. Russell merited a special mention.

After Jordan’s first retirement from the NBA, he was playing minor-league baseball and stopped by the Chicago Bulls’ practice facility, where the Utah Jazz were working out. Jordan said Russell, then a rookie with the Jazz, introduced himself and challenged him.

Other popular Sports StoriesBlog: Serena apology for outburst is insincere Winners and losers from opening NFL weekend More From Marc J. SpearsCeltics optimistic about Garnett's recovery Sep 10, 2009 Grizzly task: Memphis needs A.I. to play role Sep 10, 2009 “…At this time I had no thoughts of coming back and playing the game of basketball,” Jordan said during his speech. “Bryon Russell came over to me and said, ‘Why’d you quit? You know I could guard you. If I ever see you in a pair of shorts…’

“When I did come back in 1995 and we played Utah in ’96, I’m at the center circle and Bryon Russell is standing next to me. I said, ‘You remember the [comments] you made in 1994 about, ‘I think I can guard you, I can shut you down, I would love to play against you? Well, you’re about to get your chance.’ ”

When the teams met in the ’98 Finals, Jordan hit his famous championship-clinching shot after knocking Russell backward. Jazz coach Jerry Sloan and point guard John Stockton, who also were being inducted, both shook their heads as Jordan told the story.

“From this day forward,” Jordan said, “if I ever see him in shorts, I’m coming at him.”

Russell said Jordan’s story was accurate and that he was honored, not offended, by his words.

“It was during my rookie year,” Russell said. “He turned to Karl [Malone] and said, ‘Hey Karl, is that your rookie?’ I really did say that to him. Karl was laughing and [Jordan] was laughing, too. …I guess I motivated him to come back. There had to be other reasons. You know he likes all challenges.

“Out of all the people he came across, he thought about me. I’m happy to be in his Hall of Fame speech.”

Russell said “not a single day passes” in which someone doesn’t ask him about Jordan’s shot over him. While playing for the Denver Nuggets, Russell and then-Nuggets interim coach Michael Cooper got in a heated debate about whether Jordan’s shot over Russell or Julius Erving’s famous acrobatic dunk over Cooper was more embarrassing. Looking back, Russell said he wasn’t humiliated to be part of such a historic play.

“To me, that’s the greatest play in basketball history,” Russell said. “It will stay that way because he will always be the greatest player to play the game. I didn’t mind. But the referees didn’t make the call on the push off.

“It’s long done and gone. It was a call that wasn’t made on a play that was great.”

Russell didn’t watch the Hall of Fame induction ceremony live because he was running errands with his 11-year-old son, Brandon, in Calabasas, Calif., but he did record it. After Jordan mentioned him, Russell received a voice message from his old Long Beach State coach, Seth Greenberg. Several other friends and family members also called and sent him text messages. As soon as Russell got home, he rushed to the television to watch Jordan.

Jordan and Russell were teammates with the Washington Wizards during the 2002-03 season, Jordan’s last in the NBA. Russell said Jordan never brought up the story while they were together and they never played one-on-one, either. Russell, now 38, last played in the NBA during the 2005-06 season, but he works out daily and is eager to “guard [Jordan] again and beat him.”

Russell encouraged Jordan to get his phone number from a mutual friend if he’s up for the challenge. Until then, he wants Jordan to know this:

“I keep my basketball shorts on.”

Marc Spears is an NBA writer for Yahoo! Sports. Send Marc a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-jordanrussell091209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

**** the Jazz.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Sounds like a friendly rivalry.

If the NBA really wants to make All-star weekend interesting, they could try convince them to take part in a 1-on-1 event. That would be fun.

4. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

let it go dude....let it go :rolleyes:

5. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

My money's still on Mike!

6. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

Pshhh... .I'd much rather see Mad Max vs. Jordan.

7. Prince

Prince Member

are they still bound to NBA or can any producer do this?

8. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

This.

9. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Two old has-beens. no thanks.

10. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

one has-been

russell is a never-been

11. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

hehe, good story, I enjoyed reading it

12. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

A lot of folks talk about the push off in that Jordan/Russell play but why doesn't anyone talk about the hand Russell has on Jordan's shoulder when he's making his move? What's good for the goose...

13. kaninthy

kaninthy Member

clyde vs jordan

14. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5B7U74Dg04k&hl=sv&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5B7U74Dg04k&hl=sv&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Its not impossible to beat Jordan :cool:

15. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Why would Russell be embarrassed or humiliated by that shot MJ made over him? Any objective observer knows that Jordan pushed off. While the defensive stopper Cooper, on the other hand, just got straight up posterized by Dr. J.

16. TheBigAristotle

For a minute, I thought Bill Russell was challenging Jordan. Jordan (even though an *******) would still eat Russell's lunch any day any time.

17. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Yo Bryon, I'm ahppy for ya, and I'm gonna let you finish.

But Michael was the best of ALL TIME.

OF ALL TIME.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Jordan looks fat now, depending on the shape russell's in, he might be able to take him.

19. tofu--

tofu-- Member

I always thought Russell's release would be a little too slow under intense one-on-one defense. If Jordan is still remotely athletic and Russell has lost a few steps, then I think it shouldn't be too hard for Jordan to win.

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Bryon Russell is a lucky guy to be front-and-center in arguably the greatest single shot in NBA history. Who cares if a player on his level was predictably getting abused? The fact that the greatest player ever felt the need to acknowledge your existence in his HOF speech should be enough to make your life complete.