1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo Sports] Houston Rockets way ahead of schedule, team to watch

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Dec 20, 2012.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

4 games in 5 nights starting Christmas day. The first of three. Stretches like that will test the legs of even the youngest and fittest players. Hope we rise to the challenge.

2. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

You taking my words out of context baby boy. I saying his yahoo
    articles isn't done without help.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Really, your going to start the personal attack crap? OK, well here is a quote I didn't borrow from anyone else and I certainly don't need a link for it

end quote.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

T-Slack,

Chill, man. As durvasa points out, what you are mad at KD for doing is called "blogging"-- a part of which involves linking to news and stories from other sources and comments on them. What KD does here is no different than what's being done in other NBA blogs (or, as a matter of fact, other non-NBA or even non-sports blogs).
    For example, see here: http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop and here: http://nba.si.com/?sct=uk_bf1_a2). You may or may not like his commentary, but what he does is industry standard practice for his job.

There has been a lot of debate (both within sports and other realms) as to the practice of blogging, aggregation of information on the web and intellectual property/credit issues-- and I think it's a fair debate to be had-- but lets not pretend that Kelly Dwyer is somehow uniquely practicing a dark art.

#64 Carl Herrera, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

:confused: When you link to someone else's work, you're giving that person web hits, not taking them.

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

it should be noted though, that KD has repeatedly come to clutchfans and b**** b**** b****ed about getting cheated out of webhits when his articles have been posted here......which is no doubt a wildly disingenuous tantrum to throw here when he is basically repackaging others' content anyways..

7. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Don't people have to click on the link to get the web hits? And why would people click on the link when its all there on the blog?

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think they'll be sort of okay for now. But come Feburary is when I see a dropoff in play. But yeah, schedule becomes a lot more grueling starting now. Both in terms of road games, an compacted schedule.

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think KD is cheating anyone out of web hits. For example, in the article referenced by the OP, he quotes two sentences from a Houston Chronicle story and 4 sentences from a Blinebury blog based on an interview with Harden. The articles are not "all there" for you to read. He also specifically called Fran a "must follow" on twitter.

Also, in his "10-Man-Rotation" feature, he only provides links and a one-sentence teaser as to the topic being discussed at the articles being linked to. You very much have to click on a link to see, for example, what Dave D'Alessandro have to say bout Deron Williams: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...NhdANhdXRob3IEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3#more-id

It's not like he posts substantially all of someone's article and just comments: "That was awesome!" and call it a day.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Because it typically isn't all there on the blog. And Yahoo! sports is a more visible site than many of the web pages he's linking to. Even if only a fraction of people that visit his blog click the links, he's still helping those pages out by increasing their exposure to a wider audience.

I can't imagine anyone complaining because a Yahoo! blog linked to them.

11. crash5179

That post was awesome! I'm out! :p

12. just a word

just a word Member

Woj and Feigen are beat reporters, who writes news articles. Blogging is different, and imo function more as op/ed. Both types are writers, and valid, even though Blog writing isn't the same as being a reporter.

You are blowing this out of proportion; and also dismissing one form of writing for another form of writing. Or, perhaps rather, you are valuing a person's personal hunt for information over a person who does second-hand research. Which is a good point in valuing data-aquisition... but does it matter if the data is still correct?

For instance, if Morey buys his statistics from a third party, and analyzes the data using his proprietary algorithms, does that make it less valid than if he took the data himself?

Of course I'd be more impressed with Morey's effort and skill if he got the data himself, but that's SEPARATE from his ability to analyze the data.

13. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

The exciting thing is I think we're still underachieving. Many teams Have already played together for a long time, and have their chemistry down pat. Or they have a lot of veterans. We're just beginning to get in rhythm. Lin's underperformed, Asik is still learning how to play offense, we're still tinkering with out lineup. And our starting lineup is only like 24 years old on average! It's gonna be rocking and rolling next year. Book it.

14. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Back in 09 when I first signed up on here, I posted that I thought Kevin Durant was a selfish player that didn't make his teamates better. Now you have to remember the sonics was one of the worst teams in the nba in his first two years. Then Kelly chime in saying I didn't know what I was talking about and how the thread quality on here was going downhill. So yeah, that rub me the wrong way.

15. ty185

ty185 Member

I thought playing LAL twice already is the definition of easy schedule... :)

16. crash5179

OK, fair enough just say he sucks. I can't fault you for that. And yeah, that would rub me the wrong way to.

17. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

it's been exciting watching this team come together and catch some sort of rhythm. granted it was extremely frustrating in the beginning, they really are a fun group.

18. dragonz

dragonz Member

I have no problem with KD using other people's article in his blog, as long as he links it. This is part of the internet journalism, and the original writer likes it too because it increase their click too.

But I do have problem with his rumbling words and bad grammar, sometimes it is unreadable and makes my head explode.

19. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Let's put it this way... I have been forced to watch the Kings because of Chuck and this Rockets team is way more entertaining. Not only because they win, but also because of the way they play. It's much more exciting/interesting to see a team that sometimes overpasses than to watch one that does nothing but iso's

I didn't expect the wins, even after Harden joined the team :)

Lots more fun!

20. Lactose

Lactose Member

Young legs recover much faster...I'm hoping if any team can go through a lot back to backs well it'd be the rockets.