1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] Scola in town; no buyout yet

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gotrock?, Jul 16, 2007.

1. gotrock?

gotrock? Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...gx.0bYF?slug=txrocketsscola&prov=st&type=lgns

I know there's been a lot of speculation...here's the latest update I've seen.

Argentinian F Scola in Houston to meet Rockets

July 16, 2007
    HOUSTON (TICKER) -- Argentinian forward Luis Scola is in the United States looking to complete his move to the NBA, but there is no word yet on whether he has sealed his release from Spanish club Tau Ceramica.

The Houston Rockets have announced a news conference for Tuesday at which Scola will be introduced to the local media.

But Rockets spokesman Nelson Luis told PA SportsTicker that the conference did not indicate that a deal with Tau has been reached.

"We have nothing to announce on that at this time," Luis said.

The Rockets acquired the rights to Scola last week in a trade with the San Antonio Spurs, who drafted the power forward in 2002 but never agreed on a deal to sign him.

Scola, 27, has a year remaining on his contract with Tau and is understood to have a buyout clause of close to $3 million.

Scola's agent, Claudio Villanueva, said Saturday that an offer had been sent to Tau to negotiate his client's release.

According to a report in the Houston Chronicle on Friday, Scola and the Rockets already have agreed to a contract worth approximately $9.3 million over three years

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Wow,I thought he couldn't sign a contract until the buyout was complete. His agent better get it done quickly.

3. AggieRocketFan96

God, this is starting to make me highly skeptical that this is gonna get done. Yeah, I know, I'm a pessimist, but that's what happens when you are a longtime Rockets fan...

4. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I thought the buyout had to be done before the 15th??

I'm worried :eek: :eek:

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

From what I've read, I believe Scola's camp is trying to bargain down the buyout amount from the contracted $3 million, and Tau insists on not lowering it.

It's probably not gonna be that big a difference and will be worked out soon.

Those wiley Argentinians always trying to cheat the Spaniards out of their money. :)

6. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

The buyout is not a problem. As long as Scola pays the buyout, Tau is willing to let him go. But it seems his agent is trying to negotiate and bring down the buyout to a lower number.

That's what said in another yahoo news 2 days ago:

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

No, his deadline for deciding on his TAU OFFER (5 years, $13.7 million) was the 15th. He already decided to say "no" to that offer and told them before the 15th. They can negotiate buyouts and the Rockets contract well after the 15th.

8. WNBA

WNBA Member

Scola is here already. Isn't it safe enough to say Scola is a Rockets?

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

its not like a defection..or maybe it is :D

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

It's safe once the contract is signed.

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.click2houston.com/sports/13691492/detail.html

Scola Set To Arrive, Introduced Tuesday

POSTED: 4:05 pm CDT July 16, 2007

HOUSTON, TEXAS -- To steal a line David Beckham's hype, new Rocket Luis Scola is "Coming to America'. Scola, who agreed to a new contract worth at least 9 million dollars over the weekend will board a flight late tonight in Buenes Aires, fly overnight and land at 6:30am Tuesday morning.

Scola, who will stay in Houston for nearly two weeks, will get some rest and then be introduced at a 2pm news conference Tuesday at Toyota Center.

Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey told KPRC Local 2 Sports, " Luis is a very good fit for us and now more than ever is ready for the NBA." Scola is a 6-9 Power Forward who had been the property of the Spurs prior to the trade that brought him to Houston last week.

Full coverage of Scola's news conference Tuesday on Local 2 Sports at 6 and 10 as well as click2houston.com's sports page and video on demand.

12. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

tomorrow is going to rule.. We have the Scola press conference.. I'm off work.. and NCAA Football 08' comes out for the 360.. Can you say life is good or what? The only thing that can brighten my day even more is to announce at the conference that the 07-08 powerdancers will indeed be topless and beer now costs 50cents, nothing says hello more then a bunch of drunk red rowdies with topless women :eek: ;) hey now, Houston isn't known as strip city for being stingy :cool: Not to mention that Patrick Ewing will beg to be taken back.. actually maybe we can do without the topless women afterall.

13. CharlieMurphy

CharlieMurphy Contributing Member

Pshhh...he's going to play for us this season whether or not his Spanish club Tau Ceramica allowed to or not. We will go to war over this ;)

14. saleem

Can Tau insist on getting all the buyout money before they let him go? If yes, then when does their season start as compared to the NBA season. Can the Rockets structure the contract in such a way that they might give Luis let's say 4M this year to make it easier for him for him to come here? Lastly will David Stern have any objection to the way a contract/buyout is structured?

15. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

wow...good thing you aren't a Hawks, Clippers, Kings, Raptors, Grizzlies, Twolves, Pacers, or Hornets fan :confused:

we might have to put you on suicide watch !
    :p

[​IMG]

16. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Actually, what could be better is if the power dancers appeared topless...in my pants.

Ba dum dum.

17. Adelman

Adelman Member

So tomorrow there is going to be a news conference for scola?
    Anyone know what time it will be?

Boy i am excited. We got a great pf that is ACTUALLY coming over and playing this year. And also ACTUALLY going to contribute :)

18. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Um, maybe if they were, um, bottomless...in your pants?

Thank you. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

19. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

My understanding was that he had to state his intention to buyout his contract To Tau Ceramica by July 15th. If he did not, his contract automatically renewed for the 07/08 season. His attorney informed them on the 14th so he only has to negotiate a dollar figure to be released and he cannot sign his new deal until he finishes bartering with Tau on a dollar figure.

20. saleem

That's where all the confusion is coming from,the report above says he has already signed a contract with the Rockets. How is that possible without the completion of the buyout?Calling for our forum experts to explain this.