1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Yahoo is closing delicious.com (social bookmarking)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by No Worries, Dec 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yahoo seems to buy a lot of crap that evaporates into thin air: Geocities, Broadcast.com. Probably should have taken the MSFT offer.

3. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

yahoo's probably full of 50 ish year old execs who dont really know what they're doing.

4. No Worries

6 Solid Alternatives to Delicious

We’ve just reported that Yahoo is closing down Delicious, it’s popular booking marking service along with Yahoo Buzz and the Traffic APIs.

Here at The Next Web, we’ve gotten together a list of other great bookmarking services that are if you will, “healthy alternatives” to soon to be gone Delicious.

1. Google Bookmarks is one of the most popular bookmarking tools that is incredibly easy to use. It lets you sort by date and title and organize your bookmarks into lists.

2. Pinboard.in , while not free like the others ($6.98) is one of the most popular bookmarking sites out there, in which users are guaranteed to never lose their data.

3. Diigo is better known as “social bookmarking 2.0″ because it’s both a collaborative research tool and a knowledge-sharing community and social content site.

4. Historio.us : is a dead simple, easy to use one-click bookmarking site.

5. Zootool this creative and awesome web application places an emphasis on saving visual content, so it’s pretty much like if FFFFound, Tumblr and Delicious had a baby.

and how could we forget…

6. Mister Wong this European based social bookmarking tool has been around almost as long as delicious and should have an archive size equal to Delicious’. You can also connect Mister Wont to twitter and have it automatically import links. Oh and it’s also available in six different languages too.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

****!

Now I need to get all my bookmarks tranfered! I have like 200!

Anyone know a good way to transfer?

6. Poloshirtbandit

me too :(

7. No Worries

You can export your delicious.com bookmarks to a HTML file:
    • go to delicious.com
    • click Settings link, top right
    • click "Export / Backup Bookmarks" link
    • click the Export button

8. No Worries

I am in the middle of trying Diigo, Pinboard, and Zootool. All three will take a delicious.com export bookmark html file.

I uploaded my 1500+ bookmarks last night to all three. Pinboard (which cost me $7.57) is the only one which has finished getting my bookmarks into their system.

Zootool got swamped and is now offline.

It might take a little bit of time for these sites to get back to normal.

9. No Worries

I just tried Google Bookmarks. I was able to get all of my 1500+ bookmarks into GB. Most of the work was to get the book into Firebox BM facility. Then it was trivial and fast to get them into GB.

The tags got lost in the process, so it is FTW.

10. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Why do you need a website to handle bookmarks?

11. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

People use bookmarks?

12. No Worries

A social bookmarking website provides a central location (in "the cloud") for all of your bookmarks versus having different bookmarks in each browser you use (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera) on the different computers you use (work, home, school, smart phone, iPad).

If you upgrade any of your computers, you also need to bring along the bookmarks or start anew.

Another benefit to social bookmarking is that the central website lets you browse other people's bookmarks as well. When you save a bookmark to the central website, you get to tag the bookmark. For example, if I saved "clutchfans.net" as a bookmark, I would tag it with "houston", "basketball" and "community". Other people will be able to see this bookmark and will be able to see all things that I tagged with "houston", "basketball" and "houston+basketball". Navigating the tags is a way of doing a web search, that can produce better results than google mainly because people generally only bookmark quality sites.

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Hell yes Yahoo should have taken MS's offer.

Check this out:

(WARNING- HUGE picture)

[​IMG]

14. No Worries

MS might have axed delicious as well. I as well as others might have jumped ship if MS have bought Yahoo, since I do not trust MS with my data.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I just synchronize my Google Chrome stuff. But one can also use xmarks for that (they just got acquired by lastpass, I think).

16. No Worries

http://news.slashdot.org/story/10/12/18/1342250/Yahoo-Says-Delicious-To-Get-the-Boot-Not-the-Axe

"In a statement on their Delicious official blog, Yahoo now claims that: 'No, we are not shutting down Delicious. While we have determined that there is not a strategic fit at Yahoo!, we believe there is a ideal home for Delicious outside of the company where it can be resourced to the level where it can be competitive.' What that means can be everyone's guess, but at least for now, your delicious accounts are safe."

Selling delicious.com makes more sense than just unplugging. I wonder if Google will make an offer.

17. No Worries

Delicious to Google Bookmarks

Link describes a way to get your delicious bookmarks into Google Bookmarks, while retaining the tags. The multi-step directions Google gives for importing bookmarks will drop the delicious bookmark tags.