1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Y! Wojo] Spurs McDyess for Bulls Thomas?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-thomasspurs021610&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The San Antonio Spurs are trying to unload Antonio McDyess(notes) and the remaining $7.5 million owed him after this season to possibly clear a way to make a trade for Chicago Bulls forward Tyrus Thomas(notes), league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Spurs have been searching for expiring deals to move McDyess, who will make $4.9 million next season and is guaranteed about $2.6 million in 2011-12. Trading McDyess would free minutes and give them greater flexibility to re-sign Thomas this summer if they want. Thomas would give the Spurs a younger, more athletic complement to Tim Duncan(notes), and could be part of a future frontline with former first-round pick Tiago Splitter(notes) and rookie DeJuan Blair(notes).

The Spurs are shopping Roger Mason(notes), who is in the final season of his contract, with the help of Mason’s agent. In addition to Mason, they have a number of other expiring contracts – Michael Finley(notes), Matt Bonner(notes), Ian Mahinmi(notes) among them – to possibly offer the Bulls.

The Denver Nuggets could be a match for McDyess, who played six seasons there. Nevertheless, it’s less likely the Spurs would want to do that deal with another Western Conference contender. The Bulls have been shopping Thomas, and are trying to get expiring contracts and a good first-round pick for him.

New York still has interest in a deal for Thomas that would include Al Harrington(notes), but doesn’t have a 2010 first-round pick to give them. And one of the Knicks future first-round picks could be on its way to Houston in the deal they’re discussing for Tracy McGrady(notes) and his expiring contract.

The Spurs are 30-21 and are tied for fifth place in the Western Conference. They traded for Richard Jefferson(notes), who they also have tried to trade, and signed McDyess last summer to increase their payroll to about $80 million in hopes of chasing their fifth championship.

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

lol who is this guy's source?

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Yes, I'm sure the Bulls would be all over this deal. Trading away a promising young talent in Thomas for an old, overpaid bum thereby killing their cap space.

4. Ditty

Ditty Member

I was just going to post this it looks like thomas will be coming to san antonio :grin:

hopefully the spurs can make a move for mason to memphis for sam young and spurs can trade finley bonner or mihinmi for a big guy maybe andrey blatche because wizards still looking to get under luxuary tax

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

So much for all those offseason moves.

6. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know but he is about the most reliable source I've seen.

7. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

So I guess T-Mac for Lebron rumors aren't dead yet as it makes as much sense as sending McDyess for Thomas. :rolleyes:

I'm not a Thomas fan, but that's ridiculous, particularly since Spurs fans seem to hate McDyess from what I've seen.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The Spurs have been a mess this year, but at least they added Dejuan Blair, who put up monster numbers during the Rookie-Sophomore game.

9. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Rockets should try to get McDyess, can play PF and Center. Andersen and Cook for McDyess ?

10. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I guess the spurs probably need to give up a pick for this.

11. Pocket Rockets

umm i dont think its a direct deal...they want to trade mcdyess first and then in a seperate deal acquire thomas from the bulls.

12. HRocketsFan

HRocketsFan Member

No kidding. It's like this guy has a hat with a bunch of names in it and he is pulling them out and firing up the trade machine. The Bulls would be stupid to make this deal considering there are better offers out there.

13. arsenicbear

arsenicbear Member

I have not watched Tyrus Thomas play that much but my understanding is that his post defense is not that great and his jumpshot sucks. Why would the Spurs give up Dice who has a credible mid range jumper and plays semi respectable D?

14. engr_alex

engr_alex Member

this sucks for mcdyess. dude chose the spurs over detroit because they made him feel they really need him. now, this is how the spurs treat him.

they shouldnt have signed him to that type of contract if they werent man enough to see it through. tsk

15. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Haha, imagine if he actually signed with detroit...he would feel shafted

16. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

What exactly makes Thomas so much more promising than Stromile Swift and Eddie Griffin? Dominating for 30 seconds at a time while the other 5 minutes and 30 seconds goes wasted can only do so much. He's been in the league for 4 years and has shown no signs of consistency or being able to put it together.

17. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

does that mean no more 3 way trade ??

18. httx713

httx713 Member

spurs the spurs ..