1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Y Sports Radio] Calvin Murphy: Jeremy Lin Needs The Ball In His Hands

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bball7, Jan 25, 2013.

1. bball7

bball7 Contributing Member

Calvin Murphy speaks the truth.

http://www.ysr1560.com/sean-pendergast/calvin-murphy-lin-needs-the-ball-in-his-hands-8202/

2. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

Hmmmmm. Really calls out Mchale.

Edit: Very funny when he calls American players out for playing zone.

#2 Roxnostalgia, Jan 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  3. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

4. tie22fighter

tie22fighter Contributing Member

Thanks you Mr. Patterson and thanks you Mr. Murphy for calling out the problem.

Mchale is a big man. He is just not a good fit for our guard dominant team.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What is Harden supposed to have in his hands, then?

6. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I could be wrong, but I think Calvin means that Lin needs to handle the ball more than he has been. I could be wrong though.

7. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

your balls?

1 person likes this.
  8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Calvin's twitter just got an extra billion followers. Welcome to hell Calvin.

1 person likes this.
  9. tie22fighter

tie22fighter Contributing Member

Calvin is saying Lin shall be the initiator and Harden shall be the finisher.

Hero ball means Harden is both the initiator and the finisher.

10. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

All Hail Calvin Murphy

11. torocan

torocan Member

My assumption is that he would play more of a traditional 2 guard, ie moving off the ball and off screens and picks, cutting, curling, and receiving passes when he has mismatches.

Of course, it's not like this is something that hasn't been expressed before by a few. Of course, if Calvin Murphy had posted what he said in his interview, he'd be labelled as ignorant of basketball and a LOF by some posters.

Of course, Calvin Murphy is just a former PG, 2 guard, and Hall of Famer... what does he know? :grin:

12. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

LAMO :grin:

13. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

The difference is that Calvin talked about all star weekend, Patterson, Mchale, the Lakers, and international basketball in a 15 minute interview. He wants the Rockets to be better not just for Lin to be the man.

14. jocar

jocar Member

Mchale's fault for not assigning roles?
    Lin's fault for deferring?
    Harden's fault for ball hogging?
    Ho Chen?
    All of the above?

15. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Whatever it takes for Lin to start being aggressive and not just swing the ball around the perimeter and hide.

16. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I miss Mr. Murphy. League pass doesn't allow me to see his segments.

So... He says too many people are handling the ball right now, including some people who have no business with the ball. He says Harden is a finisher but needs to finish without needing the ball in his hands for 8 seconds.

Says Jeremy is a point guard and needs to handle the ball more.

I loved his comment that today's NBA players are great athletes not great basketball players.

I can't disagree with him. Harden is such a dynamic playmaker and the best player by far, that it is easy to get enamored with his ability and put too much on his shoulders, especially when Lin is slumping. But I hate seeing him bring the ball up court so often. I'd prefer a little ball movement before he gets the rock.

But we have to remember, that great players often transcend positions. Harden should run PnR. He should initiate plays here and there. It would be a greater waste to sit him in a corner while Lin massages the ball.

1 person likes this.
  17. Gil

Gil Member

What's Lin's usage rate on the team?

18. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

That's what a combo guard does though. Finishes with the ball without needing the ball in his hand OR initiate plays when your initial play fails.

The best scenario is Lin orchestrates the offense and make plays. When it fails and there's 10 sec left on the shot clock. Give it to Harden to initiate plays or create for his own.

Right now defenses are just camping Harden because they know he'll initiate plays and most of the time finish the play himself which is causing him a LOT of turnovers.

Lin on the other hand always creates for his mates, but doesn't look to finish. So he should be the initial initiator as Murphy says it. Think about all the freedom Harden will have with Lin distributes the ball to everyone but Harden, and defense has to stay tight with everyone else. Harden will get the freedom to go and finish and make plays as well.

And it has shown statistically that Harden has less TOs while is more efficient when Lin handles and orchestrates the ball more.

19. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

I'm pretty sure every Rox fan agrees Lin should handle the ball more. It's nice knowing that we also have TD and Beverly now coming off the bench. Some of the long time clutch members here purposely bait and troll the LOFs though, and it devolves into some really awful arguments that kill discussion unfortunately. LOF's also bait and troll as well. I love reading this forum when discussion is actually completely unbiased. There was another thread saying how Lin's TOs will probably go up, but since he is involving the entire team unlike Harden, when Lin is handling it's worth it. Harden has great passing skills, but hasn't ran the offense like a PG should. If anything, Hardens passing skills would be magnified even more if Lin initiated the offense and Harden draws secondary attention after the initial pass, if he is the open man or their running a specific set play. Either way Lin has things he has to work on, but running PnR is something he can do well.

20. conquistador#11

did you not listen? The murph and his awesome suit said it starts with Mchale.

Do people honestly think with his competitive fire, Lin just thinks to himself, "hhmmm Harden is the best 2 guard, let me just hand him the ball and watch him, less work for me."

Both Lin and Harden have to pick their spots and it's up to the coaches to let them do that.