1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WWII Cinema] Christopher Nolan's 'Dunkirk'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sure, not a perfect movie but no need to complain about anything.

10/10 - must see in THEATERS. Honestly I might give it 9/10 because of how shitty the JUSTICE LEAGUE trailer that was shown beforehand was, but other than that - 10/10 - I guess Nolan can't control what trailers are shown, but he SHOULD.

To see in 70mm or IMAX? As a non-A/V pro, man, I don't know. I'm glad I saw it in 70mm, but true IMAX probably would have been preferred.

Kendrick Lamar and Snow Villiers like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Fricken GREAT experience of the human condition.

I am totally into war movies, but this was different, more about suspense - and the air combat was the most realistic I have ever seen.

MUST SEE.

DD

3. PhiSlammaJamma

Dunkirk: 9/10

Saw in the National Air and Space Museum in IMAX. Given there is not much plot here outside of the war, the conflict was executed perfectly and plenty of drama. Nicely paced. Enjoyed the experience. The ending really comes together nicely and feels good, although it took some time to get there. The dog fighting was a lot of fun. All the characters are solid. I know I'm not the only one thinking Bane in a fighter cockpit, but Tom Hardy delivered with almost no lines and only eyes behind a mask, as he has done in other blockbuster movies, but you really do like and enjoy the heroism and courage he has from start to finish.

In Saving Private Ryan, I liked the scene where the two enemies walk past each other on the stairs, right after a violent man on man combat upstairs where someone is stabbed to death, illuminating the difference between the violence of war and possibility of humanity in the aftermath. Tom Hanks delivers that humanity to the movie to underscore the meaning of the movie. Dunkirk is about surviving, and how that makes a difference, which is a little different, but they did hit on that by the end of the movie and in the characters, and that came across, and translates to everyday life.

Still trying to figure out who the guy on the bridge at the end was, who seemingly woke up, but was funny as hell, and if he really did sleep through the entire thing it underscored an entirely other theme to the movie, although I have to admit, I don't know who he was so maybe I missed a plot point there.

Also, and not so obvious to Americans like me who only read about this or see the pictures, was how the War was not always moving in the right direction and was clearly in doubt. That is often lost on us. And yet most wars tilt back and forth, as do most conflicts in life. And that should be obvious, but still I think most people entering a war, won't even think about it until they are in it.

See it on the big screen for sure.

#143 PhiSlammaJamma, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I'm not looking forward to the blade runner movie but the justice league trailer was so horrible and cartoony in comparison to the blade runner trailer.

bad trailer and bad way place to advertise your live action cartoon.

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

Meh it was okay. I couldn't understand what the hell the characters were saying. They remind me of that decoy Ras Al Ghul in Nolan's Batman Begins or the asian guy in Inception who you couldnt understand what the hell he's saying. Almost ruins the entire movie for me. Nolan has to be better when it comes to dialog sounds. A lot of it sounded like mumbling.

6. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Couldn't understand what anyone was saying either. Freakin stop speaking lame ass British and speak some damn American or Texan!

Good overall movie. Was expecting a 10/10 but 8/10 overall.

Jontro likes this.
  7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Agree with 8/10. My expectations were too high; and like you and the poster before you (and probably thousands of other movie-goers), I understood about 1/2 of what was being said, and since the dialogue was so scarce, that was really lame.

It wasn't just the accents -- the sound equalization seemed way off in our theater, which was supposedly top line.

mild spoilers, since it's all atmospheric anyway...
    * Love the Kaleidoscopic treatment of time, and it actually made sense as a way to tell the story.
    * EDIT: still don't know who styles is.
    * I didn't like that I couldn't keep track of the soldiers. As Mrs. B-Bob said, "couldn't he mix in a ginger or something?" But maybe that was part of the point.
    * Hardy is almost completely wasted behind a flight mask.
    * Aerial and cockpit scenes are incredible.
    * Dive bombing scenes are some of the best of any kind I've ever seen on film. Immersive doesn't being to describe them.
    * Love that the movie shows heroic and non-heroic, very believable behavior in extreme conditions.
    * Love, as others have said, that the Germans were invisible, almost like an alien force of super-human abilities.
    * Not sure what I was missing in cinematography -- some of it was really lovely, but a lot of this movie is shaky and claustraphobic, in a cockpit, or in a sinking ship, etc.

#147 B-Bob, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    Deckard and R0ckets03 like this.
  8. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The use of "background music" in the style of a ticking clock and the sounds of diving fighter planes was just genius. I loved this movie.

Rocketman95 and B-Bob like this.
  10. Outlier

Outlier Member

Styles, the main character? Nah, if anything he was an antagonist for wanting the foreign guy dead. The main for me was the guy in the beginning scene.

11. B-Bob

Oh. You know, I don't guess I know which one styles even is, LOL. The guy I mean has skinny face, started the movie running and ended movie holding newspaper.

12. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Yes because a movie about a British evacuation made by Brits should have American accents. The British accents in this movie are very diluted down for the general audience, just straight talk and no slangs. How is it that people have trouble understanding it?

Deckard likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I guess it is like the Brits trying to watch Swamp people.

DD

14. Outlier

Outlier Member

That wasn't Styles haha

B-Bob likes this.
  15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Was good. Saw it in 70mm in San Antonio.

Would recommend.

16. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

lol

17. B-Bob

All fair, and I have no prob w accents, but a lot of it was just indecipherable due to the sound mix, at least where I saw it.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I honestly think the muddled audio was done with purpose, you're not missing any groundbreaking dialogue, character development or plot points during the interactions with muddled audio - it's part of the chaos. You cant really hear **** in BATTLE.

They're flying LOUD planes not driving Honda hybrids, fam.

Y'all dialog bozos go download a Sorkin podcast or something.

Lulz.

19. B-Bob

Yeah, I thought maybe it was on purpose. Definitely more pronounced in the battle sequences. Shrug.
    Yeah, so I guess that's okay if you don't care what people say, fam. Fits.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Saw it. Loved it.

But definitely couldn't understand half the dialogue, lol. The tone of the movie is such that you really don't need to anyway. Probably my favorite movie since The Revenant. But then these types of movies are exactly my type.

And regarding dialogue, I watch almost everything at home with subtitles on. I don't have a great sound system (or any sound system), but it just seems like all movies/shows these days have this problem. too much background noise, not able to clearly hear the dialogue.

Somewhat spoliery below:

- I didn't really get the whole thing with the boy on the boat that died by Cillian's hand. I get what he was trying - how the experience impacted the soldier, how it was dangerous for the civilians, etc. but it was just done so weirdly. was the old guy his dad? how come there was like no reaction from either about it?

B-Bob likes this.