1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wu Ying and the death penalty in China. Trying to understand

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Glish21, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Glish21

Glish21 Member

I am in the UK currently due to a death in the family (irrelevant to the topic). The BBC has been talking about Wu Ying and how she has been sentenced to death due to fraud. When the story is referenced, the only crime I read of is private funding. Is there another aspect to this story that I am missing or is this a function of Chinese law that is expected?

I appreciate feedback. I admit I know nothing of Chinese law and am passing no judgement. Just curious about others thoughts/input.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-17071311

2. YallMean

YallMean Member

She allegedly committed a few crimes such as co-mingling personal funds with investment funds, bribery, false accounting, but the one crime that got her death penalty is illegal fund raising from private individuals.

The details of the case is very complicated. Basically, she raised from several self-titled money managers around 200 million yuan ( $30 million USD) in a span of a few years. The monies came either from these managers private pocket or downstream fund raising from other money managers or individuals. On the book, Chinese law prohibits private fund raising in this form, but Wu certainly was not the first one doing this. The private market for fund raising in coastal provinces, as matter of fact, is well and alive, despite Wu's case. The private funding has been the only source of operating funds for many small businesses in the coastal areas for as long as the CCP allows such business.

Wu did not run a ponzi scheme like Madoff. The investors of her fund were aware of what she was up to with the money, i.e. investing in real estate, enterprises, shops, etc. Wu promised them a very high return, but they knew the risk. Also unlike Madoff, Wu's investment actually could have made whole of investor's money had it not been frozen by the Chinese authority. The current worth of her investment, according to the media, is around 500 million yuan.

So you can see the death penalty is not warranted from a retribution point of view. Many established Chinese economists have been very critical of Wu
    s case and openly calling for the abolishment of such law altogether. Activist questions the motive to put Wu to death, suspecting the real problem is that a few high-up corrupted officials want to silence Wu forever. This case exposes many issues in the Chinese system. You can shoot some specific questions so we can keep focused.