1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you take on Joe Johnson's bad contract if we got Smith as well?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Mar 25, 2012.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Atlanta might want to rebuild. Send them Martin, eat Joe's contract using our cap space. Maybe sweeten the pot with a future Rockets draft pick or something. What do you think? I'm torn on it myself... Joe's contract could look really crippling in a couple years, but then again he's only 30, maybe he has 4 or 5 good years left in him.

Lot of salary to take on, but it's a big infusion of talent without giving up much... would still have Lowry to keep or send out in a different trade if we wanted to start Dragic.

I mean I'd rather have a superstar but adding two borderline all-stars to a playoff contender is a big jump. Maybe enough to get us to 4th seed.

2. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

No. If Josh Smith was a superstar then maybe. That contract is horrendous.

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

Not for Smith, but for Horford or a top pick. TBH, I can't see any better way to utilize our space since Williams isn't coming here.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Horford would be sweet, I bet they want to build around Horford though.

5. arjun

arjun Member

Yes. Taking on joe Johnson, whose not too shabby himself, to get josh smith is awesome if we are able to keep some of our key players. Instant contenders to win the west.

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Fixed.

7. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

No, we need a legit core.

8. Don FakeFan

Don FakeFan Member

Only Les knows.

9. houstunnin

houstunnin Member

NO........JOSH yes....take him in a heartbeat.....

10. houstunnin

houstunnin Member

BTW martin is a better scorer but Josh is better then scola in so many ways more athelic..wish pat-pat step up...Like that...

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

No way.

Josh Smith is very nice, but he's not a true franchise player, not even close. I'd deal for him, but not at the price of Johnson's horror show contract. He's going to eat a literal third of the cap for the next 4 years! He's right behind Rashard Lewis in the worst contract category...and Rashard is expiring next year.

No way.

12. thething

thething Contributing Member

I assume we'd have to trade Scola, Martin, and Dalembert. I'd do that deal.

Having Lowry, Johnson, and Smith is a good core to build around. Add in Parsons and Camby in the starting lineup and we can compete. (We're not going to get any players better than those guys)

13. DaFranchise03

DaFranchise03 Member

The Rockets could trade for both and use the amnesty on Johnson right? As long as its a contract from before the new cba.

If thats true and they dont have to give up everyone to match his huge contract then i would do it.

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Taking Josh Smith and Joe Johnson while ruining capspace basically would make us the Atlanta Hawks. 1st/2nd round playoff team every season until Johnson falls off the cliff. And then we suck again.

I'd make the trade if we're also getting someone major elsewhere. Otherwise no chance in hell.

15. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

You can only amnesty someone that was on your roster prior to the CBA..not someone with a contract before the cba.

16. HorneR

HorneR Member

No, that's worse than just a bad contract. Toss in an unprotected future first too and we'll talk, but nothing less.

17. konver5ation

konver5ation Member

Well I hope you'll let us know before you make any final decisions, I know the pressure is mounting on your shoulders. Handle it well.

To the original question.... sure. Players want to play with Joe Johnson, and since we are Houston fans we know that you can't always get that quality by looking at stat sheets, wins, or salary... NBA players like Joe Johnson and that has to be worth cap space, watch how much respect he gets from opponents. No one is gonna elbow him and step on his face lol.

18. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

If it meant Martin + Scola for Johnson and Smith.
    YES!!!!!!!! That contract is bad. But its a HUGE upgrade. And just not too long ago, Joe Johnson is consider the 4th best SG behind Kobe, Wade and Roy.

19. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

Douche.

Anyways no it will put us in salary cap hell. Smith might me a mvp in fantasy basketball, but he wouldn't cut the cheese for a team looking to build a championship type team.

20. arjun

arjun Member

If we strut out this line up:

Camby
    Smith
    Parsons
    Johnson
    Lowry

....we will be a great defensive team, and a very good offensive team. To the guy who tried to fix my post above, you sir are incorrect..we would be instant contenders to win the west.