1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you take a chance on Albert Connell?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hottoddie, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

All charges were dropped & he continues to claim that it was a rookie prank. He's only 27 & is an unrestricted free agent. The chances of him doing anything like this again would seem to be remote. Would you take the chance & sign him, or would he disrupt the team, as a result of the theft/prank?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1372811.html

Connell in clear as McAllister drops theft charges

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Len Pasquarelli
    ESPN.com

With restitution made, Jefferson (La.) Parish district attorney Paul Connick Jr. confirmed Tuesday that theft charges were dropped against former New Orleans Saints wide receiver Albert Connell, who was alleged to have stolen over $4,363 from teammate Deuce McAllister last season.

McAllister informed authorities two weeks ago that Connell, first suspended and then released by the Saints after the theft charges were made public, repaid him in December. McAllister apprised the district attorney that he wanted to withdraw charges against Connell.

"Because of the people involved, this probably got more publicity than other cases of a similar nature," Connick said. "But it's not unusual at all for restitution to be made in such instances, for the charges to be dropped, and for both parties to move on. That's what is going on here."

Connell told the the New Orleans Times-Picayune on Monday that the situation was "nonsense" and called the whole matter a prank.

Connick said his office had verified with McAllister that the money was returned to him. An NFL official said the league was awaiting verification from Jefferson Parish that charges against Connell had been dropped.

Connell, 27, was arrested in December after allegations that he had stolen $863 from McAllister's pants as they hung in the Saints tailback's locker, and $3,500 from his car in the parking lot at the team complex. Saints officials had videotape evidence of the latter of the incidents. Connell subsequently turned himself in to police.

Connell contended at the time, and has continued to claim, the incidents were merely pranks played out on a rookie. McAllister was the Saints' first-round selection in the 2001 draft.

"If it was anything serious, I don't think they would have dropped the charges," he told the New Orleans Times-Picayune. "Me and Deuce were squared away a long time ago."

McAllister's agent, Ben Dogra of SFX Sports Group in St. Louis, told the newspaper McAllister just wanted to move forward and play football without any distractions.

"There was never a time in my conversations with him that he ever wanted to file charges against Albert Connell," Dogra said. "To him personally, he just wanted the matter to die down and focus on football. He didn't want to hurt another guy's career."

Connell signed a five-year, $14 million contract with the Saints as an unrestricted free agent last spring. Even before he was suspended four games for "conduct detrimental to the team," Connell was having problems on the field. His play was subpar and he had just 12 receptions for 191 yards.

New Orleans officially terminated his contract on Feb. 28, making him a free agent and able to sign with another team.

Connell told the Times-Picayune that he's been in touch with a few teams and is eager to get back on the field.

"I'm in the best of shape; I'm ready to go," he said. "I just wish it could have been with the Saints."

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Its not like he hit anyone.

3. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

That's true, but the question of trust comes into play. There was a recent incident of theft in baseball & the player was subsequently released. The news talked to some of the Astro's players to find out their feelings about it & they replied (something to the effect of) that it was wrong & that you had to be able to trust your teammates. While the baseball incident wasn't an alleged prank, it still could be used as an example of what the clubhouse atmosphere might be like.

Personally, I'd like to see the Texans pick him up. But, only if they are 100% sure that it'll never happen again.

4. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

First off, Connell has sucked the last 2 seasons. That alone is a reason to pass on him. Then when you factor in the off the field issues...

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I don't want him. Talented or not. I don't want the Texans to end up on Texas Justice. I have a hard time cheering for players like that....especially after they reach 20. I have cheered for EG but he did his stuff while young. Connel has about 4 years on him. Mad Max was my all time most hated rocket.

6. junglerules

junglerules Member

Couldn't agree more, actually. forget the fact that he's a potential FELON....football personnel people overlook "minute" details like that all the time. :)

However, he's horrible on the field, too. He doesn't strike me as a player who puts full effort out on the field, and his ability to suck in an offense like the saints last year is uncanny. They aren't the rams, but with them trailing so much, and throwing so much, you woulda thought he might get some numbers. Nope...he could barely find the field......I don't care who has him, as long as it's not a team i like.

7. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I agree with KR and JRL. No chance in hel@, the Saints despite all their melt downs last year essentially decided he couldn't help them on the field. At least Westbrook has a decent payoff skillwise if you tried it.

8. coma

coma Contributing Member

Aside from him sucking on the field, we drafted Jabar Gaffney didn't we?

9. Prempeh

Prempeh Member

Huh?

10. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Taken from Sportsline.com:

Besides being ineffective on the field, Connell is also a chemistry breaker? Yikes. That, in my opinion, constitutes a big fat NO to your question.

11. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

How is Roaf the chemistry breaker?

It was Horn who f-ed his wife!!!

:mad:

12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Honestly, what can Connell do that a 5th round WR can't? I know Connell, the anti Aggie, is good at slight of hand and all.........

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

in dec. '99, gaffney was kicked off the team for stealing money and a gold watch. after earning his way back on, he's hasn't exactly been a chiorboy, tho, to his credit, he was only 21. i'd hate to have to justify a single one of my actions when i was that age.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

When I was 21, I don't remember stealing any money or a gold watch.