1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you prefer Jeremy Lin over either Dragic or Lowry?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by crash5179, Apr 8, 2012.

?

Would you prefer Jeremy Lin to Lowry or Dragic?

1. Lin is better than both Lowry and Dragic

15 vote(s)
    4.7%
  2. Lin is better than Lowry but not Dragic

9 vote(s)
    2.8%
  3. Lin is better than Dragic but not Lowry

6 vote(s)
    1.9%
  4. Both Lowry and Dragic are better than Lin

290 vote(s)
    90.6%
  1. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Stupid question. We could have kept ALL THREE of them but Morey took Flynn over Lin because of the guaranteed contract, which is understandable.

2. Akim523

Akim523 Member

What are you trying to argue about? Of course Lin gets the most credit because he's the reason for the win streak. As good as Tyson has been defensively, without a penetrating and dishing PG he was close to useless Offensively.

What are you trying to prove?

Of course I will bring up stats because that was impressive. Out of no where then play like a superstar the next day is always gonna be special for any player.

I can understand why you hate, at least please try to bring up valid arguments.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The issue here isn't that your arguments are nuanced, its that they are arbitrary. A nuanced argument is one that looks at a particular issue at multiple angles to arrive at a multi-dimensional understanding of it. It doesn't mean that you apply different criteria to different players and consequentially take very extreme, imbalanced positions (as you do, routinely). That's pretty much the opposite of nuance.

#63 durvasa, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  4. s3ts

s3ts Member

first, the stat you mentioned is useless to me. if you didn't get that part on my last post then here it is. most of those other players who get mentioned for that stat would never bring that up, because they simply would not give a *****. as such, you should not care either, only if you're bandwagonLin.

secondly, about this argument about Tyson Chandler being useless without a PG -- i find it just ridiculous. i invite you to go back, watch all the highlights watch every basket. try to see how many of these baskets derived from a pick-and-roll by Tyson Chandler. he has one of the most effective pick-and-rolls in the league. if you put Tyson Chandler on any roster, the pick-and-roll alone would own on the offensive. and it would be a critical go-to play. Lin cannot possibly achieve the same pick-and-roll plays with any other PF/C player in this league.

basically, i'm challenging you to simply watch the games and plays. know your history, as Paul Mooney once said. i can agree that Lin is worth something, but a lot of his success has to do with the roster that he is on.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

No. For neither.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

In hindsight, basically what we know know in hindsight is that

1. The Rockets made the correct call in thinking that Jeremy Lin was our 3rd best PG.
    2. The Rockets also made the correct call in thinking that Jeremy Lin was a capable backup(failed trade for Gasol)
    3. However, the Rockets made the incorrect call in thinking that Flynn's expiring contract, or having a backup big, was worth more than Jeremy Lin's ability as an NBA player.

The Rockets still made a mistake in terms of talent judgement, but they were a lot closer than just about every other team in the NBA. At least the Rockets thought Lin could play backup. The Knicks wouldn't play Lin until they literally had no PGs on the roster. In the end, good talent evaluation, horrible scenario and horrible timing. Perhaps with a full offseason and summer camp, the Rockets could've gotten a better handle on Lin.

7. Relentless

Relentless Member

What the ****? Please stop taking about this Lin guy. Dragic es el hombre.

8. cod

cod Member

One draft day rumor reported was that the Rockets had tried to deal Flynn before the Minny trade was finalised.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Rockets never felt Flynn was anything but a flier. That trade was done because they didn't need Miller once Yao was done for his career. Miller makes more money, and has a 1mil buyout next year while Flynn does not. It was a purely monetary move on the Rockets part.

The point is that the Rockets didn't feel the necessity to cut Flynn and his expiring contract just to make their 3rd string PG position better.

10. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I'm a Rockets fan and therefor have no interest in a stupid Knicks board. If you want a poll on your beloved Knicks board then you post one. As for me I have no desire to trade barbs with the most idiot fans in the NBA.

11. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Lin's Starting Numbers:
    25 Games
    18.2 PPG (44.5% FG, 34.3% 3ptFG, 79.6% FT)
    7.6 APG (to 4.7 TOPG)
    3.7 RPG
    2 SPG
    Easily the worst defender of the three

Dragic's Starting Numbers:
    18 Games
    17.9 PPG (51.6% FG, 42.5% 3ptFG, 82.6% FT)
    8.8 APG (to 2.9 TOPG)
    3.6 RPG
    1.9 SPG

Lowry's Starting Numbers:
    38 Games
    15.9 PPG (41.8% FG, 38.8% 3ptFG, 86.5% FT)
    7.2 APG (to 3.2 TOPG)
    5.3 RPG
    1.8 SPG

Anybody who thinks Lin is better than either of our PGs is either a crackhead or knows nothing about basketball. Straight up. I like Lin but come on now, lets not get ahead of ourselves.

1 person likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sorry, I disagree, you take a very general argument about the roster being crowded and try to pigeon hole it onto one single player - when their situations are completely different, thus elisciting a completely different discussion.

For whatever reason you are being extremely obtuse and anal about language, instead of actually attempting to understand what the discussion is about.

I hope you are not one of those guys who get hung up on stuff like that, those guys never get laid.

DD

13. DaDakota

We still should have had all 3, there was no reason to cut Lin to keep Jeff Adrien.....none.

Especially since the org knew it was going to clear Johnny Flynn off the roster by the trade deadline.

DD

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

:eek: Actually yeah... we could have had a higher pick... just ensuring Lin won't break out playing for other teams....

Hindsight, hindsight.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Jesus, DD is now playing the "least I get laid" card in the GARM.

A bannable offense just for the mental imagery alone.

16. DaDakota

Not hindsight at all, many people were saying to keep him and that it was a mistake to let him go.

DD

17. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Why keep 4 PGs on our roster? Does any NBA team have 4 PGs on their roster?

Only 2 can play (with one logging major minutes). What is the big deal if we don't have a legit third string PG? It isn't like Linsanity was going to happen here (as Linsanity would not be possible in the role of Boykins/Fortson/Flynn/whomever playing 8-10 minutes per game tops during an injury).

We only had less than a week to evaluate Lin due to the shortened training camp. He was coming off a season in which he barely logged any minutes on one of the worst teams in the league. Hindsight is 20/20. Good that he is succeeding but it wasn't a terrible unforgivable decision to let him go. GS on the other hand.....

18. DaDakota

We had nearly 2 weeks, and you keep NBA talent over scrubs like Adrien....it is not unforgivable, but it is not intelligent either.

You keep Lin, because you know he has talent and you know that Flynn is going to be moved at the trade deadline and Dragic is an expiring contract.

IMO.

DD

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Uh, the main argument for why we didn't sign Lin is that our roster was already crowded at PG. And you explicitly pointed out our PG situation (having Dragic + Flynn behind Lowry) as an example.

At the very least, you could acknowledge that bringing in Lin could exacerbate the overcrowding issue you were complaining about earlier, but his talent-level was worth taking that chance. But you can't even do that, because that would undercut your need to blast the Rockets organization as incompetent player evaluators.

And this is "nuance", according to you. Just laughable.

20. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

How many times are you going to spread this myth around the GARM? The Rockets did not cut Lin for Jeff Adrien. You say that so often, and you are wrong. They cut Lin for Dalembert.