1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you pay Budinger 15 million???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cincymmb, Jul 14, 2014.

1. cincymmb

cincymmb Member

All Chandler Parsons is is a glorified Chase Budinger. People around here acting like we just lost LeBron James.

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

No... they're acting like they lost LeBron James after unlocking him from a one-year, $1 million contract.

1 person likes this.
  3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Parsons is 5 times the player Budinger is but CP isn't worth 3 times as much per year.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

But we would have lost Parsons next year anyways, no?

5. HeyBudLetsParty

Yes, Chase Budinger was a stud.

1 person likes this.
  6. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

BOF? Lol j.k

He was good but no where near as good as Parsons and Parsons isn't even worth $15 million. Budinger isn't even worth $8 million a year.

7. ryandoc

ryandoc Member

BUT... Budinger was a former contestant in the slam dunk contest, so there's that! :rolleyes:

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Exactly. Him signing with Dallas really reenforces that idea. I didn't know Chandler Parsons had the same following LeBron did either. It's insane how mad some people are.

9. Convictedstupid

He would have been unrestricted. The downside is he possibly could have been a very valuable trade chip. But would we have even traded him? Seems sort of unlikely.

10. Progs

Progs Member

Bud was a better shooter and more athletic but Parsons was better in everything else.

11. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

He isn't Lebron , and there is a problem with him if he thinks he needed to be featured more than he was.

12. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I liked Parsons but he was a very solid role player at best and not the "star" he and some posters here perceive. Role players are imminently replaceable and usually at a cheaper cost.

Exhibit A

Ariza @ $8M > Parsons @ $15M

1 person likes this.
  13. conquistador#11

if we're playing this game, only howard would be deserving of my imaginary max money. I'd pay harden kmart money, 10.6 million and free buffet line at ginger's.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

For me, it's not about losing Parsons. It's about taking several steps backward a few hours after we all thought Bosh & Parsons were coming. The goal and philosophy we have has had us treading water since Yao got hurt in the Lakers series.

When do we get to go to war?

15. cincymmb

cincymmb Member

Is Ginger's a strip club?

16. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

The Rockets got Howard last year, and Harden the year before, but they are treading water?

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

A clutch BBS kneejerk roster looks like this:

Spanoulis, Lull
    Von Wafer
    Budinger
    PPatt, Landry, Scola
    Jordan Hill, Chuck Hayes

Non flexibility because we gave them all player options.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I've seen you mention this a lot lately, but don't you think it's clear he would be gone next year? Fegan negotiated his contract to make sure he'd be a Mav, not a Rocket.

What's the benefit of renting him for another year, given how our FA chase ended? We weren't a championship team as is and he's not an asset as an UFA, unless we're sure he signs with the team we're trading him to.

How would we replace him next year? There isn't always an Ariza available at the price we got him for. Maybe we didn't get better, but I don't think we're worse. We've locked in the 1/2/5 positions a year early and now can focus on improving just two positions.

19. vator

vator Contributing Member

I only hate the fact that we didn't get anything for him. I think paying him 15 million dollars is a mistake. He and Ariza practically put up the same numbers across the board and we have Ariza for half of what Chandler would cost. Like I said, losing him for nothing stings, and losing him to a rival like Dallas is like getting spit in the face, but considering the way things played out, they had to let him go.

I will admittedly be mad if they don't use the money they have left to bolster the rest of the roster. Losing Asik and Lin are at the moment bigger losses because their production has technically not been sufficiently replaced because we don't really know what Isiah Canaan, Nick Johnson, and say D. Mo will bring to the table this year. If we can somehow get Thaddeus Young, Ilyasova, or Milsap then I will say letting Parsons go was a great decision. Those 3 guys all make around 8-9 million so Ariza and one of them for 16 million makes us a better team than just Parsons for 15 million. Morey has some work to do before I let him completely off the hook though. That said, Bosh was on the hook and got away. It would be a completely different story around here had Miami not panicked and decided to go all in on Bosh at the last second.

20. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Bingo. That's the reason I am extremely disappointed in the organization. I thought it was a stupid move then and now we got burned.

Parsons at $1M > Ariza at $8M.

I am actually a fan of the Ariza signing, but we wouldn't have had to explore this option had we just kept Parsons locked in. Very stupid move to gamble like this. Since last season, I figured the Rockets would stop taking risks and actually build a solid team. I don't blame them for not matching Parsons, I was against matching myself, but at some point you have to build stability in your roster.