1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you discourage your kid(s) from playing football

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by UtilityPlayer, Feb 5, 2016.

Tags:
?

Would you discourage your kid(s) from playing football ?

1. Yes

65 vote(s)
    73.0%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    12.4%
  3. Indifferent

13 vote(s)
    14.6%
  1. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

I wouldn't allow them to play tackle until 7th grade. At that point, they can decide what they want to do in regards to sports, especially in Texas.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This. My kids have shown little to no interest in it...but if they did, it would be flag football until at least 7th grade. I'd push for them to wait until 9th, though. The longer they can go without taking the hits the better.

3. PhiSlammaJamma

They ought to develop a simulation program for kids who want to play in college but not in high school. Focus entirely on weight training and speed. And run virtual simulated games to practice game action and play calling. Have a combine. Sign with a college. And hope for the best. Maximize earning potential. Key is getting reps in the virtual world. Redshirt. I think it could work, but the mind needs those reps to be on the same playing field as those taking the field.

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

They might invent super helmet that will make head injury not very likely, you never know how technology will advance.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

No. 7th grade should be the latest, after that it gets physical. I went to the 8th grade game and seen someone get murdered. They called the ambulance after 20 minutes of laying down. Don't want to throw a newbie cause he won't know what hit him.

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I forced my son to play football in 7th grade. He was outta shape and getting bad grades. Fast forward to now, he's all straight A's except for the Spanish class and in great shape, we lift together.

Can't wait for next season to start. We have put tons of training this offseason together, whatever it takes to get him on the A team. Sometimes we take shots of vodka before a workout to confuse the body.

7. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Muscle confusion, brah.

[​IMG]

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Cardinals' Bruce Arians: Parents who won't let kids play football 'are fools'

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

Meh. That's only one side of the story. I bet he's never been concussed as badly (or even if at all) as some of the people who had to retire because of concussion scares.

AND he played QB, only in college. I get that he's had a whole lot of experience with the game of football, but to be blunt, he's probably never experienced anything like severe concussion / head traumas.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Bruce Arians is the fool. He should stick to coaching instead of giving parenting advise.

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I don't need no old white guy coachsplaining to me about the merits of junior football.

12. White Bronco

White Bronco Member

Proudly kept two sons from playing football. Both played soccer and both are very fit with excellent aerobic capacities.

13. White Bronco

White Bronco Member

Kept both of my boys away from football and in healthier team sports.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

^^suddenly I have an urge to eat jello.

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Absolutely

I'd rather my kids play a real sport that requires athleticism, skill, tactical awareness and brains as opposed to egg ball which is a fake tough guy sport that does not require any atheticism, skills or tactics (use of the brain). Only requirement is to slurp big macs and guzzle cream soda to get big and fat

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Don't allow kids to play football until Middle School. I had a kid who started in 7th grade.......got a full ride in college.....graduated 3rd in his class in college.....now is in Graduate School. Had one concussion in college (on a fumble recovery in practice). A shoulder injury prevented him from attempting to go to the NFL.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Yeah....ok.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't let my kids play football until they were at least in 8th or 9th grade, same goes for competitive hockey. Before that, if they want to play baseball or basketball then they could.

1 person likes this.
  20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

My imaginary kid would be black, I'd be a little worried about the demographically redundant peer group and being too tired after school to focus on studies, which he'd need extra time to work on since he'd be more likely to under perform academically. But if we were poor and all the neighbor kids were gang members or something, yeah I'd probably want him to do it.