1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would the Rockets get equal value in a McGrady trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by blathersby, Jan 30, 2008.

?

Could the Rockets actually get equal value in return for a McGrady trade?

1. Yes, they could get equal value or very close to it

22 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. No, the Rockets would get the short end of the stick in any McGrady trade

119 vote(s)
    84.4%
  1. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

So every win without McGrady, there seems to be a ton of "Trade T-Mac" threads. I think we've all noticed them, and many of us have scoffed at them. So I have to pose this question:
    Do you think that the Rockets would actually get equal value in trading McGrady away?

Personally, I don't think so. With McGrady's injuries, there's no way we get more than $.80 on the dollar in a McGrady trade, and that's if we're lucky. But seeing as these threads pop up, I'm wondering what the general consensus is.

This isn't a "Post your McGrady trade!" thread (although it'll probably end up that). Go play with the trade machine elsewhere. What I'm interested in here is whether or not people think the Rockets could trade McGrady and get equal value in return. If so, what teams would pull the trigger on the trade? They'd need all of the following:

1.) They need to be close to competing for a title or currently competing for a title and looking for someone to push them over the edge
    2.) They would need to either be under the cap or willing to pay the luxury tax
    3a.) They'd need to have a player or combination of players that they could give up without destroying the very reason they're competing in the first place that they're willing to part with. Example: Boston will NOT be parting with Ray Allen for T-Mac.
    3b.) They'd also need a player or combination of players the Rockets would be interested in. Unless a team is giving up on a season and rebuilding, any trade would have to make BOTH teams better. Example: The Rockets are probably not interested in anyone from the Cavs aside from Lebron.

Personally, I can't see a single team in the league that fits all of those conditions.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It depends on what you define as equal value.

It is possible to get better as a team but get individually worse players.

DD

3. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Not even remotely close.

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Yes, but not exactly what you are thinking. The Rockets can not get a player equal to McGrady's ability in a trade. There are maybe 10 players that are at McGrady's skill-level in the league. The Rockets won't be able to get any of them. That being said, McGrady's frailness and likelihood of missing 30% of the season hurts his value. The Rockets can get a very good "non-All Star" player, about the caliber of Odom, Deng, or Micheal Redd. None of those players healthy can match up to McGrady healthy, but if they play 75 games, they are worth what he is.

5. caneks

caneks Rookie

The answer is really depending on what is the real value for T-Mac?

6. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

I think that 2 scoring titles half a decade ago in addition to "13 in 35" tend to overinflate Tmac's perceived value.

IMO, if you can get a collection of young and healthy 80 cents on Tmac's aging and physically deteriorating dollar, you have to consider it.

7. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

With McGrady's injuries, he's only WORTH $.80 on the dollar! That's why we CAN get equal value. Equal talent? Probably not, but all the talent in the world doesn't help you if you're on the trainer's table all the damn time.

I say cut the cord and get a couple of starter quality, high IQ, reliable players in return.

8. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Exactly my thought.

I assume you define "value" as basically basketball ability in an ideal world where injuries and chemistry are not a concern.

But if you include considerations like health problems, bad contracts, and chemistry problems in your definition, then I'd say yes... we CAN get equal "value." I DON'T think we could get equal basketball TALENT back, no. But we can get pieces that fit around Yao better, and who have smaller contracts, and who aren't hurt so often.

9. Seth

Seth Member

I think we will get equal value, if you consider what T-Mac Actually brings to the team we might get that in return, now, talking skill´s wise i don´t know but i really don´t care, i think Rockets need to find players that fit and not players that have a lot of highlights.

10. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

immediately? no, but in time yes.........did the lakers get equal value for shaq? at the time, odom and butler it wasnt equal value.....but if they kept butler, then now the answer would be yes as butler and odom are still in their prime and have years more to contribute while shaq is clearly on his way out.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

8-7 this season without him. It's not like they're setting the world on fire when McGrady misses a game. The record prior to this season was absolutely horrid without him. I don't understand any of this talk. There is no equal value.

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

"Won't get anything for TMac" is a popular myth. I think that this conclusion is based on a one for one trade, but if he is traded for several players the Rockets could well get better.

13. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

The restrictiveness of the salary cap means that the fairness of a trade is very closely tied to the value per dollar of the player. It's arguable that a player like Caron Butler for TMac would be a good deal.

Butler is pretty good, but he lags far behind McGrady in ability to create his own shot and passing ability, which are probably the rarest skills in the NBA. He's slightly ahead of McGrady in rebounding, steals, and free throw shooting. But the key is that Butler's salary over the next few seasons is about $10 million per year, while McGrady is close to $20 million. While McGrady is clearly better, it's a tossup of who would be getting the better end of the deal in a straight up trade.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And the lakers traded away competing for a ring to have better players far into the future who won't help them get past the first or second round.

We trade T-mac and we won't get players who make us better.

15. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

8-7 is better than 17-13 (with tmac considering we lost 4 games he went out due to an injury -> possibly 19-11).

being average is the way to go :rolleyes:

16. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Ditto.

You might have an "addition by subtraction" sort of thing. Especially if you get a really good (but not McGrady-good) player who doesn't take so many games off. Even when he's on the floor McGrady takes games off, you know?

17. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

What trade?

I actually waste time to read your suggestions, trade Tracy McGrady?

Yeah, right...

18. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

It's hard to assess T-Mac's value to the team, since his injury situation is so unpredictable. He may play out the rest of the season, or he may miss another month. Each scenario seems equally likely to me.

19. aaaccchhhooo

aaaccchhhooo Member

well...i don't think any team wants..well they probably do but they are not willing to trade away their building blocks for him because he has liability...of course any trade that involves TMAC..the other team have to ship enough players to match the salary...i think right now if we really want to trade him (or use him as a trading bait), we should not be asking "will we get equal value for him?" ..that's defintely a no, because other team will always use "but he's always injure and show up only have a season..."....etc...but if we really want to trade to lift our team up ( that should only be the reason) we should be asking "what does coach RA offensive system need?" obviously the system haven't been working like we all hope it would, we need a mike bibby, someone who is a pure shooting...because they will get a lot of open looks.....i think personally would trade straight up TMAC for Kidd..why? i think new jersey would give this serious considerations..they are in the east..tmac in the EAST...he's a beast..even if he only/most likely available half a season. (they got his cousin VC for the other half :D ) ..it would be in both teams interests for this trade..otherwise...i don't see any other team with a player that caters to our need AND willing to trade for TMAC....overall i think TMAC will stay as a rockets until he retires..because unless otherwise..there's a LOT of teams that do have players that will caters to the rockets needs..but not one of them is WILLING to trade for tmac.....and the teams that willing to trade for tmac...don't have a player(s) that fits our system....so just leave with the fact that TMAC will always be a rocket and move on.....