1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Scola average 20+ in current system?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rayrocket, Jan 9, 2013.

Tags:
  1. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

Scola has good perimeter shots, he can run and hustle....

2. SuperVon

SuperVon Contributing Member

You should ask Yahoo!

3. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

Trade Morris or PP for him and find out.

4. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

Good perimeter shooting? From my recollection...I can barely remember Scola ever hitting or even shooting a trey. So to answer your question, I would say no.

5. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

There is a good chance the Rockets don't let Scola go if they knew the Harden trade was coming prior to Scola's release.

6. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Scola would do Ok, but he takes two point shots and plays best in a half court game. Good luck to Scola, I loved that guy, but the Rockets have moved on. I think we want young athletic guys that can shoot the three.

7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Thats a question only professional can only answer. Mudafugin Ho Chen.

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Yes. Scola has more hustle than any big man in the NBA. In a running system he would leave his man in the dust. Wouldn't be able to spread the floor well though.

9. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Scola would be less of a long stretch threat compared to Morris or even Patterson, but a much better pick and roll finisher and post up option and more than capable of hitting the mid range jumper. Defensively Asik would have helped him and he was a decent rebounder (his 6.5 per game last season would put him 2nd on the team this year) and great at running the floor. I don't think he would average 20+ ppg, but no reason to think he wouldn't be around 16 like he was last season, perhaps even a bit higher with the increased high tempo style the team has been using.

10. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

right, we are a rebuilding team...

11. drc3906

drc3906 Member

Really, we are a rebuilding team? Not sure we can be defined as that anymore.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Don't think so, prob would be around 14-16. He's a bit too old to throw up 20 every night while having to rebound 6-8 boards a game.

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Reading the thread, it sounds like I'm in the minority, but I say no chance. Love Scola, but no chance...

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He'd look OK. He runs. He makes mid range shots. He finishes down low. He's a decent rebounder (not any worse than Morris and Patterson). He hustles. And he has a low post game.

I'd say he'd be a slight upgrade over our PFs currently. But he's old and no upside. Any of our guys may turn out better than him.

15. bongman

bongman Member

Yes we are. We are not even close to being a finished product which makes our future very exciting. With our cap space, it is almost definite that we will add one or two above average players by the start of next season.

16. #BeWell

#BeWell Member

I have an Autographed scola basketball. Anyone interested in buying for a hundo?

17. EarlIII

EarlIII Member

Ball stopper, plays no defense....

A long distance 2 is the worst shot you can make in basketball. Thank god Morey moved him.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

I haven't seen him play this year, but his shooting has so far sucked. He also goes against the very tenant of Rockets philosophy this year, which is 3s and layups. His post play would be nice in a backup setting when Asik isn't playing. But then again, the Rockets bench has done quite well this year without a post presence.

Honestly, Scola isn't that good anymore.

19. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

During the first 15 games I thought we were pretty stupid to have cut Scola for nothing. There were definitely lulls in the offense where we needed to have a reliable post/ pick and pop option to get us easy buckets (which is obviously Scola's MO). 20 points is probably and exaggeration, but he would have fit in well.

Over the last ten we're basically running team's off the floor and putting up 115 a night with ease. So now my thinking is that to take that next step this team needs to improve defensively, which is not Scola's strong suit.

20. Viola

Viola Member

I'm with you, no chance!! But I still love him.