1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Rudy's place in history be secured with 2 more championships?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Severe Rockets Fan, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I remember Rudy saying he wanted to be the first coach ever to lead the same team to championships in different eras. I know a lot of people here think Rudy doesn't get all his props as a coach...hell he doesn't get his props from some rockets fans :eek: , but how could anyone deny him being one of the greatest coaches in history if he lead our team to another ring? or 2? or 3?:D You get the idea.
    Would he be considered better than Red, Riley, Jackson, or Wilkens?

I think it says alot about a coach to stay loyal to a team and I think it says a lot for a team to say loyal to a coach by not firing him. Staying power ,like Rudy has, doesn't come along a lot.

If he won another championship, it would show his ability to adapt to players of different strengths and abilities, and utilitze them properly...how many coaches have shown that ability to such a great extent?

I'm saying with 2 more championships under Rudy's belt, it wouldn't be so far to say that he was the greatest coach of all time.(?)

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I don't know about one of the greatest coaches of all time, but I think Rudy already has his spot in the Hall of Fame secure. When you look at his combined playing and coaching career, he has a pretty solid case...

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If he did it again then he should be mentioned in the same light as Jackson and Red and ahead of Wilkens and Riley. I don't think he will ever considered the best unless he wins another 6 or 7 championships.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

6 or 7 more championships sound good to me !!

:D

DaDakota

5. JamesC

JamesC Member

Of course. If Rudy won two more championships he would definately be mentioned with the elite coaches of all time, however until he wins 8 championships in a row like Red Auerbach he wouldn't be considered the greatest coach of all time.

6. Severe Rockets Fan

Coach******************W*****L******Pct.****Titles
    Red Auerbach, 1946-66****1037***548****.654*****9
    Chuck Daly, 1981-94, 97-99*713****488****.594*****2
    Bill Fitch, 1970-98*********999****1157***.463*****1
    Red Holzman, 1953-82*****754****652****.536*****2
    Phil Jackson, 1989-98, 99—*882****312****.739*****9
    John Kundla, 1947-59******485****338****.589****5
    Don Nelson, 1976-96, 97—**1095***877****.555****0
    Jack Ramsay, 1968-89******908****841****.519****1
    Pat Riley, 1981—**********1240***642****.659****4
    Lenny Wilkens, 1969—***** 1348***1150***.540****1

here is the list of the NBA's all-time greatest coaches...this list was announced with the 50 greatest players.

Rudy already has more or the same number of championships as most of them. His winning % should be on the upswing and if the titles start to increase, he should be able to push out coaches like Ramsay, Wilkens, Nelson, or even Fitch(ouch .463 pct. :eek: ) 'Of all time' is a statement I don't think I could argue until he reaches around his 20th year as a coach, then we can see where to rate him.

#6 Severe Rockets Fan, Oct 1, 2002
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2002
  7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Is there a more overrated coach then Lenny Wilkens?

8. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I wonder how many times Bill Fitch has looked at that "999" in the win column and thought..."Man, just ONE more!"

9. HoustonTx

HoustonTx Member

I HAVE BEEN A CRITIC OF RUDY DATING BACK TO THE CHAPIONSHIP DAYS BUT...

REGARDLESS OF WHAT HAPPENS WITH THIS REBUILDING PROCESS, RUDY SHOULD BE & WILL BE IN THE BASKETBALL HOF.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

If Rudy wins two more championships, then, in my mind, it pushes him ahead of coaches like Jackson, Wilkens and Riley. Why? Cause none of those coaches would have taken a championship team, seen it fall apart due to old age, and rebuilt it from scratch, to championships.

11. CoPilot

CoPilot Member

Thats right and in Phils case he walks into a winners and then get the kudos for doing it as if he was there the entire time IMO he is not in top 20 coach...:cool:

12. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

If we win a championship, hopefully it will go through LA and that will make Rudy's coaching that much more than Phil's. Then we can go up against Wilkens to win it... :cool:

13. Severe Rockets Fan

Thats exactly what I mean about the loyalty involving the rox and rudy. How many coaches on that list have jumped(or been fired) from one team to another just looking for a winner? The NBA proclaiming Rudy as one of the greatest coaches of all time would send a message that needs to be sent. I think thats why Red A. is so well thought of. He was the Boston Celtics and he'll always be remembered that way...as will Rudy(with the Rockets of course).
    Cmon RT! Bring us those rings!

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Don Nelson?

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well, I'm not overlooking Phil Jackson's talents. There are few coaches out there that can do what he does either. Right now, you have to put him as a top 20 coach and you have to put him ahead of Rudy for sure.

But, if Rudy wins a few more championships with a completely rebuilt team, I think that puts him int he upper echelon of coaches. There are few coaches who have ever done that, I think.

16. Severe Rockets Fan

None to date, with the same team.

17. E.J. Tucker

E.J. Tucker Contributing Member

Not only could he be the first coach to do that, has there been a team win the championship were all the starters and coach have never played for another team?

Francis
    Mobley
    Nachbar
    Griffin
    Ming

He has to get at least some of the credit for getting those players for the team.

18. lpbman

lpbman Member

Nachbar and Ming have both played for other teams...
    though not NBA teams

19. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

If we win two more championships, nobody here is going to give a damn about Rudy's place in history. Four championships speak for themselves.