1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Olajuwon consider Houston a title contender with the acquisition of C-Webb?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by countingcrow, Feb 6, 2001.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

With the new info being published about Webber, I thought this would be a question worth asking. I personally believe that with the acquisition of Webber this offseason that Olajuwon would gladly stay with the Rockets to play alongside Webber in Houston's frontcourt. But the question remains: Would the Rockets front office even want to re-sign him if he wanted to stay after the debacle he has caused the last couple of weeks? My guess would be yes. Olajuwon is still a viable piece of the Rockets and is more valuable than Cato. With Hakeem's great showing against the Knicks he proved he still has some athleticism and unmatched talent in his old body, but can he perform like that more often?

Am I the only one who has pondered this question involving this scenario?

------------------

2. JR

JR Contributing Member

without a sign and trade to confuse the issue, hakeem staying means no webber. renouncing the rockets' rights to hakeem is where the money to sign webber comes from.

------------------

3. countingcrow

There is nothing stopping the Rockets from re-nouncing Olajuwon's rights and then subsequently signing him to the veteran's minimum or a slightly higher contract.

It can be done. [​IMG]

------------------

4. JR

JR Contributing Member

in that case good by me. i thought it was like baseball where if you renounce the rights you couldn't resign the guy for some time . . .

------------------

5. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Truthfully I don't think Hakeem can coexist with Chris Webber (if the Rockets did land him). Dream already complains that he is not part of the offense enough. Unless he absolutely understood that he is needed to be the defensive presence in the middle, and may get a few touches in the game. Hopefully the Rockets will get Webber, and if Hakeem does decide to play another season, perhaps he'll choose the latter, and take the reserved role. The Rockets would definitely have a better chance with Hakeem, than without him.

------------------

6. countingcrow

Jared,

Thanks for the insight, but I would have to disagree with your assumption that Olajuwon and Webber couldn't coexist. Olajuwon brings just as much to the table as Divac does in Sacramento and Vlade always gets his touches. Vlade's stats are not too shabby and he is a big part of the Kings great chemistry. Without Vlade the Kings would not be as formidable. I just think that Hakeem would play a Vlade-like role with the Rockets if Webber were to come to Houston.

Who agrees?

------------------

[This message has been edited by countingcrow (edited February 06, 2001).]

7. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

This season, Hakeem has complained because he knows the Rockets do not have a true low-post player, outside of himself, so he has rightfully complained. If the Rockets land Webber, I think that Hakeem will realize that Webber is the best low-post option, and will play a complimentary role quite hapilly. A lineup of Steve, Mobes, Shandon, Webber, Hakeem, possibly Mo off the bench, and assorted role players would definitely contend, if not win the title outright. I think Hakeem would accept a role that would good for the team. Obviously, for the Rockets to play really well, Hakeem still needs to be somewhat of a go-to guy. Tonights game proved it.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Imagine this scenario:

Rockets sign Webber,
    Rockets sign Hakeem
    Rockets starting lineup is Hakeem, Webber, Shandon, Cuttino, and Francis.
    Rockets make the playoffs next year.
    Rockets win the championship next year.
    Hakeem goes out on top as a 3-time Champion.

Not a single person in the world would be happier then me. While I agree the above mentioned notion is 99.9% not going to happen....I am just pumped after todays performance by our Dream [​IMG]

------------------
    SUCK POLICE!!!!!!

To point out individuals or teams that have managed to reach the pinnacle of SUCKINESS!!!!!
    -----
    GIANTS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. countingcrow

By the way,

Maybe Olajuwon staying in Houston would be one of the things that would attract Webber. Who's to say that Webber doesn't insist on Olajuwon staying put? IMO Webber would want Olajuwon playing next to him for a couple more years.

------------------

10. countingcrow

Rockets03,

That 0.01% you left open might be all it takes for Webber to come to Houston.

Nice lineup too. [​IMG]

------------------

11. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Countingcrow we just have to hope that Sac-town gets knocked out of the playoffs in the first round. An early exit will show Webber that the fake ass pg they have in J-Dubb is not going to help him get where he wants to go. Francis is the one that can get him there.

------------------
    SUCK POLICE!!!!!!

To point out individuals or teams that have managed to reach the pinnacle of SUCKINESS!!!!!
    -----
    GIANTS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. driver8

driver8 Contributing Member

If the Rockets sign Webber in the off season, I'll eat my own crap. There's not chance in hell CWebb bolts for the Rockets. I'd kill to see the guy in the pinstriped p.j.s, but it's not going to happen. The strongest possibility is Sactown. Let's say the get bumped out in the 1st round for the 3rd straight year. We still have to get past his hometown (Detroit, unlikely since they're going to suck for years, but still a stronger possibility than just running for the $$$) and New York (who may not be able to afford him, but the possibility of reuniting with Spree has got to sound attractive to him).

The question is, why would he come to Houston. The cash? He'll get that anywhere he goes (which leaves Detroit smelling better than Houston). The players? Sure you can't beat Francis and Mobley, but how about some support down low for the big man. Cato? I'm not sure if that's the kind of support he's looking for.

He's looking for a winner. Houston has yet to demonstrate it's winning potential. Sacramento has the best record and has been shooting up ever since CWebb hit town. Why give it up? If he does, it won't be the first stupid decision he's made.

------------------

13. treeman

treeman Member

I dunno about Hakeem - he's very open right now. I do know that a Francis-Mooch-Cuttino-Shandon backcourt could ONLY be enhanced by a CWebb-like PF. OK, maybe not that strict, but a fast, agressive, hi-scoring PF who can occasionally play defense....

I can't say that I think the chances of Hakeem resigning here are high; they're very low. If I were you I'd expect Hakeem to be either waived or traded soon (unlikely as it sounds after tonight's game). One good game does not excuse scores of bad ones.

My one, simple question to Hakeem would be: Can you do it again?

My guess is that he cannot. Of course, I'd keep playing him until... I truly hope he can prove me wrong, but...

I must admit, thinking about a Hakeem/CWebb/Anderson/Mobes/Francis lineup does have its appeal (OK, I'm drooling...)

------------------

14. silent j

silent j Member

Actually, once you renounce a player, you can't resign him for 6 months. Until you renounce him or sign him to a new deal, he counts 150% of his last salary against the cap. If we don't renounce Dream, we don't sign Webber.
    j

------------------

15. cometsluv4play

kprc radio said after the game in philly last week or so that we have just as good a chance and better at landing Webber in the offseason due mainly to Olajuwan's contract expiring. and yes we could resign him if he signs last after Webber for the minimum or possibly better. neither New York, Detroit or the Magic have the cap space we do, only a sign and trade are possibilities with them and they would have to give up too much to make it worth it in the long run. for that matter we could probably do a sign and trade as well involving mo-tay going to Sac town and give both players the salaries they want.

------------------
    cynthia don't go!!! i miss you already:(

16. Title99

Title99 Contributing Member

I was under the impression that Olajuwon's contract will expire at the end of the year. At this time we will have the cap room to sign Webber. We could then sign Olajuwon to the minimum, if he would take it. I doubt anyother team would sign him for much more than that. Therefore, we don't have to release him in order to sign Webber.

------------------

17. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Actually, once you renounce a player, you can't resign him for 6 months. Until you renounce him or sign him to a new deal, he counts 150% of his last salary against the cap. If we don't renounce Dream, we don't sign Webber.

silent j,

You are quoting rules from the previous Collective Bargaining Agreement. The rules for renouncing players was changed in the latest CBA. Here's the explanation from the Salary Cap FAQ:

As detailed in question number 25, free agents continue to count against their team's salary cap. By renouncing a player, a team gives up its right until the following June
    30 to use the Larry Bird, Early Bird, or Non-Bird salary cap exceptions to re-sign that player. A renounced player no longer counts against the team's salary cap, so
    teams use renouncement to gain additional cap room. After renouncing a player, the team is still permitted to re-sign that player (the previous CBA prevented teams
    from re-signing a renounced player until 55 days into the regular season), but they must either have enough cap room to fit the salary, or sign the player without using
    one of the three "Bird" exceptions.

For example, in August 1999 Charles Oakley was renounced by the Toronto Raptors. Had they not renounced him, the Raptors could have re-signed Oakley for any
    amount up to the maximum $14 million using the Larry Bird exception. Following the renouncement, they were only allowed to give him up to the $6 million they had
    available under the cap.

After renouncing a player, a team can still trade the player in a sign-and-trade agreement (see question number 64).

If we renounced Hakeem, then he'd count nothing against the cap and then we could resign him to the Veteran Minimum ($1M).

------------------

[This message has been edited by aelliott (edited February 06, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by aelliott (edited February 06, 2001).]

18. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I don't think we would have to renounce Hakeem to sign Webber, if we could sign him for an average deal, say $4 million, one year. We sign Hakeem first, which clears cap to sign Webber. We would have to renounce Shandon and Mo, however:
    In summer 2002, Hakeem, Walt and Carlos come off the cap. That frees up $10 million to sign a top free agent (Vince Carter?)

------------------

19. treeman

treeman Member

So, theoretically, we could waive Dream, resign him at the end of the season for $1 million+, and then pull a sign & trade (without any adverse cap consequences)? Correct me if I'm wrong, please?

I'm listening. Continue, please?

------------------

20. Nomar

Nomar Member

As much as I want Webber, i dont think he will come. Also, I think Hakeem is done. Last night's game was a fluke.

A more realistic team would be Haywood or Woods, Mo Taylor, Vincent Yarbrough, Mobley, Franchise.

------------------
    The next time I have meat and mashed potatoes, I think I'll put a very large blob of potatoes on my plate with just a little piece of meat. And if someone asks me why i didn't get more meat, ill just say, "Oh, you mean this?" and pull out a big piece of meat from inside the blob of potatoes, where ive hidden it. Good magic trick, huh?