1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Morey have kept the '90-'94 Rockets together?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheFreak, Jun 19, 2010.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The core of Hakeem Olajuwon, Otis Thorpe, Kenny Smith, and Vernon Maxwell posted the following records together prior to winning the championship:

'90-'91 - 52-30, L first round
    '91-'92 - 42-40, missed playoffs
    '92-'93 - 55-27, lost 2nd round

Olajuwon and Thorpe had actually been together 2 seasons prior to that and lost in the first round both years. Olajuwon altogether had 5 seasons in a row of either losing in the first round or not making the playoffs starting in '87-'88. When Francis & Co. missed the playoffs for 4 years in a row, that was deemed unacceptable by nearly everyone here. Same goes for McGrady/Yao not making it out of the first round for 4 years.

The question is simple - would Morey have had the patience to let that '94 championship team realize their ultimate potential? Or would he have perpetually tinkered with the roster with a slew of off-season and trade deadline deals that would continually and fatally disrupt the continuity which was so important to that team's success?

This is not to suggest that the team we have now is on the same path to glory of the '94 champions if Morey doesn't make significant changes. I actually think Yao is too unreliable and should not remain on the team at significant cost to the salary cap. We've also seen champions literally put together in one off-season ('08 Celtics). This is merely meant to be a look back and a hypothetical, based on Morey's management style.

#1 TheFreak, Jun 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Morey's MO seems to be he's rather make no move than make a bad move-- an article said he "overvalues" his guys in trade talks.

I think he'd keep the 90-94 guys together unless there was an offer for one or more of them that he can't turn down-- and given that they just came off of a 55-win season, that bar would probably been pretty high for trading a member of the core.

I don't quite recall what offers were being rumored to have been made for each of the Rockets core guys back then. Does anyone?

3. nyu3

nyu3 Member

If Morey was GM starting in '83, he would have drafted Olajuwon, traded Sampson for #2 (draft Jordan) + whatever. We'd have won the 'chip for the next 15 years, beating the Celtics 11 in 13 dynasty.

1 person likes this.
  4. clos4life

clos4life Member

I'm glad he did. That's why we got so much back for T-Mac/Landry this year. :grin:

5. Raven

Raven Member

The Rockets don't have a 30 year old Dream to build around. No player is untouchable. A better example is the Rockets trading for Drexler. They could have kept a pat hand and no one would have complained, but they felt they had to shake things up, so they went all in. That bold movie got us a second championship.

6. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

He would have got more than that because in Bill Fitch book he stated that they was also offered Clyde Brexler in that same trade offer.

7. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

Drexler not Brexler my bad

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

This. Morey would have wheeled and dealed so hard that there wouldn't even have been this issue in '94 because we'd have displaced Jordan's Bulls by 1993; we could let the Bulls have '91 and '92 but that would be it. Sportswriters would have said that Jordan missed the 94 and 95 seasons because he knew already that he had no chance.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Morey would've traded the entire roster for a decent car. He was 20 years old at the time and in college.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

robert horry for sean elliot? But i think that was the year of the championship, not before

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Just because a team wins a championship doesn't mean it was the "optimal" roster. Those championship teams would still have been crushed by the Sonics teams of the era. It's ironic how people talk about we lucked out on the Bulls. When in reality, the biggest "luck" for our runs was the Sonics getting kicked out quickly.

Morey would've kept the good players, and likely upgraded our depth and overall talent. I think he also would've gone for the Elliot trade and the Clyde trade, simply because those represented clear upgrade in talent.

Rather than the 94 team, I think Morey would've made more difference on the 95-97 teams, when we had clear deficiencies at certain areas. I think he'd have found better bigs than Chucky Brown and Charles Jones. Or better role players around our big 3 than Eddie Jordan, Matt Maloney, etc.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Eddie Johnson :)

but i think he was solid for his role...maloney also wasnt bad that one year, his contract was the issue

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The Freak, that trade to Portland just killed me, as did the trade the following season that cost us Sam, Horry, and Chucky Brown. The Portland trade brought us one of the only guys that made it all right, Clyde, who I'd followed since his days with the Coogs. Of course, that got us the second championship. While I came to like Barkley as a Rocket, I still wonder what might have been, had we kept that group together. One of those things we'll never know. Also, I have a hard time separating those two trades, as they seemed so linked to me. We lose our great compliment to Olajuwon at the 4, win another chip, and then make the big trade to basically replace the hole made when OT left. And who knows what Morey would have done? I sure as heck don't!

I'll add that OT never had quite the same career after he left. A lot of that simply because he wasn't in the perfect spot for him, Houston, IMO.

14. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Some of you guys forgot why we even traded for Barkley....

15. Raven

Raven Member

To get us past Seattle?

16. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

because we wanted to break up our key rotation for an overrated pessimist?

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Great thread, got to let your players grow and add players like Horry and Cassell with late first round and late lottery picks.....

DD

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Jordan Hill
    Kevin Martin
    Jared Jeffries

I would say not bad.

19. Dream lover

Dream lover Member

Yeahl, he was supposed to be our answer for Karl Malone, except we no longer had an answer for Stockton or Hornysex...I mean Hornacek.

20. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Morey kept T-Mac and Yao for several years even thought though they were injured constantly, didn't he? Thorpe and Hakeem were better than T-Mac and Yao, so I don't see why he wouldn't have kept them together.