1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Jackson trade Kobe for Jordan?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Hottoddie, Apr 16, 2001.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I was just reading an article in which MJ was carefully avoiding the question of whether or not he's planning on coming back & I had the craziest thought come to mind.

Since Jordan is the GM of the Wizards & has a vested interest in the success of the team as part owner, could his pending return be a crafty move to rebuild the Wizards by adding a young superstar with a long term contract?

Here's my crazy idea. Jordan has a secret deal worked out with the owner of the Wizards that would allow him to give up his interest in the Wizards (temporarily) so that he can make his comeback. Then the new (temporarily) GM would sign MJ for two years & trade him to the Lakers for Kobe. I'm assuming that Phil Jackson would be all over this deal. At the end of the two years, MJ would rereretire & retake the GM position & his ownership interest with the Wizards, with Kobe as the center piece of his rebuilding program.

Maaan, this post is really starting to sound stupid. Oh well, it's all in good fun. [​IMG]

So, the real question should be, With the discontent on the Lakers, do you feel that Jackson would trade Kobe for Jordan with just a 2 year contract? This is, of course, assuming that Jordan is able to play at the same level he retired at.

------------------

2. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Jackson would have to be insane in the membrane to even consider that.

Kobe is young and damn good. Jordan is over the hill. It makes no sense.

Cool conspiracy theory, though.

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel boy.

3. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Wow, that one is the most interesting conspiracy theory yet.

Could there be anyone currently on the Wizards (or one they are hoping to draft) that would be traded with MJ for Kobe? Someone to groom to essentially take both Jordan's and Kobe's place? Maybe Jordan has enough left in the tank, but he wouldn't last for long.

------------------
    "I have no regrets except that I wasn't up to keep Randy from getting on that plane."
    --Ozzy Osbourne on guitarist Randy Rhodes

[This message has been edited by Lynus302 (edited April 17, 2001).]

4. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

But Richmond would. [​IMG]

------------------

5. TexasG

TexasG Member

Yes, Courtney Alexander. He's not in Kobe's class but he is going to be a very good player. Maybe in the class of a Ray Allen, Michael Finley, or Catino Mobley type 2 guard. He led the nation in scoring during his senior year at Fresno State. Then he was drafted by the Magic, and traded to the MAVS for 3 million in cash. He has a very good offensive game but never had a chance with the MAVS considering they have Finley. He was traded to Washington in the Juwan Howard deal, and has been averaging about 25 ppg. He's only a rookie but he's going to be a STAR! I hated the MAVS had to give him up.

------------------
    http://www.rapmusic.com/texasg/NewMavsLogo1.jpg

[This message has been edited by TexasG (edited April 17, 2001).]

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I take it y'all are ignoring the fact that MJ couldn't sign for more than the exception with Washington, while Kobe makes $10+ million dollars a year. Courtney Alexander wouldn't come close to bridging that salary gap.

------------------
    I'm about to boldly go where many men have gone before.

7. RocketsFanFromLa

If the Lakers were smart, they would have never traded for Hobe, his ego is too big. I personally think that Eddie Jones would be better to have on the team. He actually plays defense.

------------------

Really a member since
    March 1999.

8. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

Kobe can play some tough D when he wants to. Remember that he was on the All-Defensive team last year. Has long arms to go alog with quickness. I agree that Jones would fit in better, but Kobe is gonna be unstoppable when he lears to be a team player.

------------------

Don't EVER underestimate the Heart of a CHAMPION!

9. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Eddie Jones??? Ya, I'm so sure the Lakers are pissed at getting Kobe for Vlade Divac... I'm sure they are pissed they won a title last year...

Eddie Jones blows... I like him, but he disappears in the big games, much like Quitten...

Jones isn't the great defender people say he is... He is good at help D, ala Quitten, but he does get his jock taken to him one-on-one...

As for Kobe, last season he was easily the best perimeter defender in the league... Look what he did to Iverson and the Blazers... None of the blazers SG's and SF's could do s#it when Kobe was guarding them...

This year, his d has fallen off a bit... If he can regain his d, the Lakers will win it all...

------------------
    "Awesome baby!"

Dick Vitale

10. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

EJ IS the great defensive player that everyone says he is.

Personally I think that LA made a horrible deal with Campbell+Jones for Rice, But i guess they were being paid back for getting Kobe for Divac.

------------------
    Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion

11. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Jones has done absolutely nothing in the playoffs ever...

To say that LA is better off with Jones is total BS...

If Kobe can learn to play within the team, LA wins it all again...

I know that is a big IF...

But if EJ were with the Lakers still, they barely win 50 games...

------------------
    "Awesome baby!"

Dick Vitale

12. vj23k

You're saying that the Lake Show is better with Grant, than it is with Jones+Campbell?

------------------

13. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Campbell never did jack shi+ when Shaq was healthy... THe only time he would contribute is when Shaq was gone for a long stretch...

I would say the current Lakers lineup of
    Shaq
    Grant
    Fox
    Kobe
    Fisher/Harper

is better than
    Shaq
    Campbell
    Fox
    Jones
    Fisher/Harper

Kobe is a top 5 player in the NBA... Jones is a top 40... Big difference...

------------------
    "Awesome baby!"

Dick Vitale

14. Hydra

Hydra Member

But what about:
    Shaq
    Campbell
    Jones
    Bryant
    Fisher

------------------
    "Of course, thats just my opinion, I could be wrong" -- Dennis Miller

15. vj23k

Kidrock, I NEVER said anything about comparing Jones and Kobe.

I know that Kobe is a better player, a much better player.

What I said was that Shaq, Kobe, Jones, Campbell, Fox was better than the current lineup.

The Lakers have made some stupid trades.

Jones+Campbell for Rice, Van Exel for Battie/Lue, and Rice for Grant.

Don't get me wrong, I like Grant, but he isn't near the player he used to be.

------------------