1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Harden/Dwight/Smith be the best "Big 3" in the league?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 2016Champions, Jul 3, 2013.

?

Would Harden/Dwight/Smith be the best "Big 3" in the league?

1. Yes

190 vote(s)
    36.3%
  2. No

333 vote(s)
    63.7%
  1. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

When Bosh was a 1st option in Toronto he was an incredibly good player. Ever since he took his talents South Beach, his talents have been underutilized as the 3rd option in the role of a spot-up shooter. The only way I think Bosh could be part of a "Big 3" is if he was the first option and the other 2 options made the bulk of their contributions on the defensive end. What I'm about to say next is going to sound crazy though..

Daryl Morey met with Josh Smith yesterday, and Morey is listening to offers for Lin and Asik so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of those two being moved to make room for both Dwight and Smith. Now Smith is not a great offensive player and it's easy to see why, he shot 33% on long 2′s last season with 3.9 attempts per game which is an improvement from the 6.3 attempts he took the season before but still unwelcoming especially within the Rockets offense which boasts the lowest amount of mid-range shots in the league. However, there's a silver lining to Smith's ugly shot chart--the the right wing where he makes 36.5% of his 3's with 63 attempts which is equivalent to 55% on long 2′s, so if he can take more shots in that spot and less shots everywhere else besides the rim then his efficiency wouldn't be so bad.

The fact Smith makes the bulk of his contributions on defense, while being a transition monster and fantastic passer for a forward, makes Smith ideal as the 3rd guy/option in a "Big 3". If the Rockets were to acquire both Dwight and Smith, I think the Rockets would have the most synergistic trio in the league.

2. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Assuming Smith doesn't shoot much is making a big assumption

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I wouldn't undersell New Jersey. Deron, Pierce, Joe Johnson, KG, and Lopez is pretty strong.

4. cloudng8

cloudng8 Contributing Member

Nope, they would be the best on defense though hands down. Smith worries me but if he's serious about winning he needs to stick to what he does best... Play defense.

5. dantian

dantian Member

Josh Smith is mediocre. Asik is better than him. Big 3 only by salary.

6. OTMax

OTMax Member

Hell yes, we would have defense, length, shooting. It's basically the perfect big 3 when you have a big front court and a guard who can break down the defense and initiate the offense.

The HEAT are really the only comparison and first you have Wade and Lebron who play alike, Smith & Dwight do not play alike. Smith or Dwight or better than Bosh. Harden is better than Bosh and Wade. Lebron is the man but in a 3-on-3, we would win pure on defense alone.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

No..... lol

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Whoever has the Greatest player of this Generation GOG has a huge advantage

Bron James

9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

It's close, but Lebron really is just that good, however I'd take Parsons over any of their next best.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

No, but Harden/Dwight/Smith/Parsons would be the best big 4

11. CCorn

CCorn Member

It's the anti Miami.

12. OTMax

OTMax Member

Haha we're starting something new here: 3 all-stars and a underpaid young buck on the rise to make it a Big 4.

13. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In 09-10 Smith only took 7 three-pointers all year. He didn't take extra 2pointers, so those shots must have been going to his other teammates. That trend didn't last as the next year he took 150+ threes. But it does show that he can reign in his atrocious shot selection if need be.

But to the original topic, I think any team with LeBron has an advantage.

14. Jharden13

Jharden13 Member

Yeah 4 years ago.

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Bad question. Is Houston the best team on paper?

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

How I think the players rank:

1. LeBron
    2. James Harden
    3. Dwight Howard
    4. DWade
    5. JSmoove & Bosh (tied)

Houston would have a huge edge on in the post both offensively and defensively, not even close. LeBron is the best player in the game but even though he is a forward he plays more like a huge wing player. DWade and LeBron give Miami a huge edge.

But JHard does more to close the gap between Houstons wing players and Miami's wing players than Bosh does for Miami trying to close the gap between Miami's post playes and D12/JSmoove.

I don't know but it's pretty damn close.

17. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Harden >Wade
    LBJ>>Dwight
    Bosh>Smith.
    Like Miami we need a few vets who can punish teams if they collapse on Smith and D12 or if they double Harden..

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yup, team over the hill right there.

19. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

Actually it would be only two All-Stars right? Josh was the runner-up Defensive Player of the Year at least once...but never an All-Star right?

20. conquistador#11

smith is just meh. over paid, i thought we frowned on anyone who is over paid, but now we want him. I'd rather have chuck hayes back playing the four and take a lottery guaranteed pick from the kings for asik then to trade him to atl for smith. Infact, asik would contribute more to wins than Jsmoove or whatever he calls himself.

they used to call lebron, wade and bosh 2 1/2 men. Howard, beard and smith would be 2 and 1/8. We also have to think long term as chandler is going to get batum money soon.