1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would/Do you let your kids play football?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Brando2101, Nov 12, 2014.

Tags:
?

Would/Do you let your kids play football?

1. Yes

34.6%
  2. No

65.4%
  1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

More information is coming out about concussions and "mini concussions" all the time and it's hard to keep track of how many athletes are knocked out with random injuries and who is suing the NFL etc.

Simple Question.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Only flag or touch

3. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hell no.

4. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

I'm currently teaching my son to play qb..and teaching him not to willing take hits..slide.,run out of bounds..that's the only position I would let him play

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Hell to the no.

6. thedude077

thedude077 Member

No because I don't want them to get hurt.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Nope.

I went to see my 9-year old nephew's football game in Kingwood, and I've never seen so many douchebags. Coaches (and most dads) are just a bunch of frustrated, washed up, never has-been athletes trying to live their dreams through their kids. These idiots actually had head-sets on.... Really? You need a headset to coach a bunch of 9-year olds?? :rolleyes:

We're sticking with golf.

8. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Not anymore! He was the starting middle linebacker and back-up running back at his high school until I decided to take him out of the football program. I chicken-out, I would see how he would come home after a game (bruised up/dead tired), and how he would complain about how the coaches were using him. I figured it was only a matter of time before he would get injured, and I decided that it would be wise to get him out before that happened!

The coaches/players still keep hounding him to come back, which puts a lot pressure on my son to return. He feels an obligation to the team, and feels that he's letting them down, the funny thing is I also feel an obligation, an obligation to make sure my son doesn't get injured!

Perhaps I'm being overprotective, but so be it!

#8 BamBam, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

A lot of youth sports are like that. I coached my son's soccer team last year, and some coaches took that stuff far too seriously. Around here though (Warner Robins, GA), youth baseball is the most serious. We won the girls LLWS (or whatever they call it for softball) a couple of times and the boys LLWS. Worst thing that ever happened to little league around here.

I'd let my kids play. I believe most people come out just fine after their football careers are over. There is risk, but that is true of lots of things.

10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not a chance. The health risks are way too high and there are other ways to be athletic than football.

Hell, I'll have them play soccer and get signed at age 12 by an academy if they want to be professionals.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't yet have kids so wtf do I know, but I don't think I'll allow it.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Would let but would not encourage. My son's school is private and does not have a football team.

My son is built for football. He is husky and tall for his age. Doctors told us that my son would be 6'6" tall. He is currently build like a tank. Projecting, I imagine that he would be 230ish 6'6" in his senior year of high school. Good o-line material.

Have encouraged him to play basketball but that has gone nowhere. Too much running for his tastes.

Son wants to play baseball. I guess it is time to work on his first base skills ;)

13. Buck Turgidson

Not before 7th/8th grade or so.

I'd be curious to know if respondents played HS football and if that affects the answer. I did, but I don't have kids yet so this is not something I've thought too much about.

It would probably depend on the school district also, not to mention his athletic abilities. Not all HS football is created equal.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

At a minimum, if they want to play they can play flag football until high school. At the very least, I'll minimize the amount of contact up until then. I don't think my oldest will want to play. He's 9 and played 1 season of flag. He leans more towards basketball and soccer...and Minecraft.

Not to say the coaches in flag are any less nuts. My 5-yr old just completed his first season. These moron coaches were yelling and trying to run complicated plays. It was hilarious and sad at the same time. My son had a good time but he didn't learn a damn thing. They spent 1-1/2 hours of practice (way too long for this age) just running plays. No fundamentals at all (especially on defense). By the end of the season, the kids still didn't know the plays and had to have them explained to them before every down.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I think I'll only let my kiddo play golf. These youth sports are out of control. I basically stopped going to watch my niece play softball because the parents, my sister included, were awful.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Suburb problems. I played golf in HS. The breed of people that played golf in HS... very weird folks.

1 person likes this.
  17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

LOL, high school golf. She's going to be making money on the tour instead of hanging around with high school golf dorks. Pee pee games.

18. Buck Turgidson

I coached inner loop kids in soccer and baseball. It is not a suburb problem.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Everything is a suburb problem according to Ziggy.

1 person likes this.
  20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't think kids should play football until high school. I detest watching children play tackle football.

But, once they get to high school, if they love the game and wanna play I would be perfectly OK with it. So I'm gonna say yes.