1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would an all-Lebron team be invincible? (And what about all-Durant, all-Leonard, etc.?)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by celebrevida, May 10, 2017.

1. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

A while back, I posed the question of which is more powerful, 5 centers (say 5 Shaq) vs 5 guards (say 5 Iversons) in a full court NBA regulation game. The slight consensus seems to be that 5 Iversons would win due to superior shooting and ball handling. I don't know that I agree but certainly its plausible.

But I think its fair to say that if you actually had a team of all Shaqs or all Iversons and put them out there to play a full NBA season, it would not be too successful. At least it would not be expected to win a championship. I don't think an all Shaq or all Iverson team would beat Warriors, Spurs or Rockets at full strength. There would be too many weaknesses to exploit either way.

But then I thought, wouldn't an all Lebron team easily work and easily beat the likes of Warriors, Spurs, Rockets at full strength? What weakness could you exploit on a team with all Lebrons???

And if so, are there any other players that you could clone x 12 and easily contend for the championship? (Say 12 Kevin Durants or 12 Kawhi Leonards or 12 Draymond Greens or 12 James Hardens, etc.)

#1 celebrevida, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
  2. omgTHEpotential

The ball movement of the all-Lebron team would be ridiculous.

3. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

If a team had 5 lebrons does that mean they have 5 GMs?

malakas and J.R. like this.
  4. Juxtaposed Jolt

12 Steph Currys would be ridiculous.

5. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

There would be no need for GMs since there is no decisions to be made for personnel. There would however be 5-12 de-facto head coaches.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  6. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

That would require cloning, OP. Haven't we been through this discussion before in the GARM?

The only team that could possibly top a team of Lebron clones would be a team of Beverley clones.

jevjnd likes this.
  7. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

5 Ricky Rubios would own the league

8. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Just like the 5 Shaqs vs 5 Iversons, I thought it would just be a fun thought experiment.
    Not sure if serious but a team of only Steph Currys would be very beatable. Not big or tall enough to rebound or defend against bigs. If playing against Spurs you could just keep dumping it to Gasol, Aldridge, Lee, etc and score at will in the interior. Also all-Curry team would get out-rebounded easily. I mean I guess the all-Currys could try to outshoot the Spurs but I don't know that they could when Spurs would score at will in the paint.

A team of all Kevin Durants or all Draymond Greens OTOH would be very formidable as you couldn't abuse the paint that easily. Nor could you out-rebound it by large margins.

#8 celebrevida, May 10, 2017
    jevjnd likes this.
  9. Juxtaposed Jolt

Why would 12 Currys be beatable, but 12 Iversons be plausible?

Regardless, a team of all-around players would obviously be better than a team of lumbering 5s or quick-footed 1s.

I think a team of 5 Giannis vs 5 LeBrons would be really fun to watch. Not sure if Giannis can handle the strength of LeBron, at this point in time, but it'd be fun to see LeBron vs Giannis' length and wingspan.

#9 Juxtaposed Jolt, May 10, 2017
  10. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

It wasn't a team of Iversons vs a top-NBA team. It was a team of all Iversons vs all Shaqs. In that thread people claimed that Iversons would get shots off of Shaqs as he couldn't defend on the perimeter. Also all-Iversons would be able to press to steal and create turnovers to negate Shaqs size. So it was plausible to some that an all-Iverson team could beat an all-Shaq team.

But no way could an all-Iverson team beat Warriors, Spurs or Rockets. Similarly an all-Curry team couldn't beat the Warriors, Spurs or Rockets either. That's different than beating some hypothetical all-Shaq team.

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Do you think a team of all Westbrooks would conspire to let one of the Westbrooks get all the rebounds so one could average a triple double?

kevC, roslolian, DreamRun95 and 2 others like this.
  12. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

A team of 5 Giannis would get beatened more times than not by 5 Lebrons I would think. Giannis doesn't have enough shooting skills so the Lebrons just pack inside and dare Giannis to shoot. Also does Giannis have enough ball handling skills? If not than it just means getting the ball stolen and turning it over a lot to the Lebrons.

I don't think it would be close. 5 Lebrons easily win.

5 Durants vs 5 Lebrons would be far more interesting. I think an all-Durant vs all-Lebron team would be very evenly matched although I might give the all-Lebron team a slight edge.

#12 celebrevida, May 10, 2017
  13. malakas

malakas Member

I would choose the 5 all Durant team. The all Lebron team would have bad spacing.

14. da_juice

da_juice Member

All Bird would be the vreatesy

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

They would need 5 "****ing playmakers" on the bench to help lighten the load.

16. DreamRun95

DreamRun95 Member

An All-Kawhi vs an All-Lebron would be interesting. Man vs Robot.

17. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Did I miss some rule about a no all-MJ team? 16 posts and nobody mentioned the GOAT yet?

18. likestohypeguy

This weird cloning thought experiment is how ive always considered the all-time all-round goat, since everyone does everthing in basketball: hakeem/MJ.... LeBron.

19. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

5 Jordan's vs 5 Hakeem's

Who ya got?

20. likestohypeguy

That's why I put a slash between them at no. 1, who could know vs. a hurricane if the hurricane was named hurricane ditka.