1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worst Morey Trade as a Rockets GM

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Rick Adelman for Kevin McHale!

Well, it wasn't an actual trade with Minny obviously but it just seems that way since the day Adelman ironically signed with the Wolves and we sure as hell are suffering from this move so far.

I know coach McHale is going through a tough time right now and i wish his family well but yeah, it is what it is from a basketball standpoint.

Main issue with our team so far aren't the losses as it is expected from a young NBA team. IMO, win or lose, if our coaching staff continue to misuse our young players (esp Lin) then it's a lose-lose situation for the franchise.

Would you rather win games by relying on pick & roll, iso ball with Harden almost the entire game and let the others defer to him?

Or lose games but develop and maximize the potential of all our young players and let them play the role they're all supposed to play?

"The Rockets coaching staff have made Jeremy Lin into a pass-the-ball-and-defer-to-Harden machine!"

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Great, another "Fire McHale" thread.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Young team but ball movement has been very good since the Miami game, turnovers are down. While I don't agree with every move, the coaches are doing an outstanding job right now.

Nothing wrong with Lin defering to James Harden. One player is the 2nd leading scorer in the league at this point while the other couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat... at this point. Hopefully Lin will improve but anyone that thinks JHard should defer to Lin is only thinking of Lin and not the team.

4. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

Are you blind? Outstanding? GTFO lol.

5. Dei

Dei Member

Batum for Artest, by far, in hindsight. As good as passing the first round in a decade was, Batum is just ready to break out - I still think he's got a lot more to show. Basically a T-Mac lite.

6. MKL

MKL Member

I thought you were talking about the Gay trade. Damn that Gay trade!

7. amaru

amaru Member

I would have to go with the Rudy Gay for Shane Battier.....overall Morey has done an outstanding job.

8. AFS

AFS Member

Adelman is a great coach, no doubt. However, let's not so quickly forget his annoying habit of playing favorites in the rotation. After Aaron Brooks' return from injury, Adelman kept playing him at the ends of games where Brooks would shoot us out of the game. Adelman kept doing this until Brooks was traded.

Adelman and Morey just were not working in sync. Morey would acquire new talent, only for those players to rot on the bench because Adelman was too busy playing the players he had developed a relationship with. The coach and GM have to work together and not be forced to work against each other.

Adelman is better coaching a team that's not rebuilding. McHale probably won't be a championship coach, but right now for the development of our players, he's good enough.

9. crash5179

Shocking but true. The Rockets have moved the ball great since the Miami game.

24 assists against the Blazers
    19 assists against the Hornets
    25 assists against the Heat

The ball is moving and their have been a number of great, perticularly for the youngest team in the NBA. Yes there are times that JHard decides to go iso and sometimes it makes me smh but typically the ball movement has been good. Ball movement is how we got the lead for most of the game against Miami and Portland and how we took nearly a 20 point lead against the Hornets.

10. Dei

Dei Member

Morey was not GM yet.

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Ohh only if it were a perfect world...lol get over it, McHale's not that bad and we (cluchfans) knew going into the season we werent going to be competing and have very little hope for thr playoffs anyways.

12. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Seen so many of these threads

13. Metta

Metta Member

In recent memory, for me, the Lowry trade. I know it lead to the Harden deal, but I think we still could of thrown in a pre-meltdown Royce White and maybe another scrub and gotten that deal signed, sealed and delivered.

Yes, I know Lowry is injured right now, but come on.

14. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

LOL Nah. It's more like a "Get Morey to talk to the coaching staff and change the team strategy" thread. Still baffles me that this issue hasn't been raised to any post-game press conferences or post-practice interviews with the coaching staff at least.

Just to be clear. I'm a fan of all our players and i don't have any favorites but i'm not blind to NOT see they way they are horribly misusing Jeremy Lin.

The Rockets reporters or insiders always mention how ridiculous it is to see how Houston fans are panicking with all these losses so far early in the season but fail to see that it's actually not the losses what irks most of us.

Again, it's not the losses. We expect the losses. But why the heck are we playing p&r iso ball with Harden almost all game when the plan is to develop and let this young core grow? Apparently, this staff is more concerned with W's like this team is built to win now. Why relegate Lin to a spot up shooter role when his strength is being a playmaker and create for the team?

15. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

I'm still happy with the trade, we were in "win-now" mode.

16. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

in before the Dragic/Lowry groupies who will once again battle it out for 50 pages with the LOFs/2012ers!

:)

17. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

You would trade Batum for Artest given how our team was built to win then. It's easy to say it was a bad trade now since it's 2012 and we have a brand new young team.

18. crash5179

You do understand the P&R and iso are two different things right? P&R is not iso ball and the Rockets have not been running iso's with Harden almost all game.

19. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

The Rockets acquired Battier by shipping swingman Rudy Gay, the No. 8 pick in the NBA Draft, and forward Stromile Swift to Memphis.

Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said Memphis called offering Battier and the deal was too good to pass up.

"We were very excited when we heard that Shane was available," Dawson said. "We made the deal without hesitation."

20. Dei

Dei Member

Yes, it's in hindsight. I've said that I have no regrets about that trade in the past too but it's becoming worse and worse as time flies by.