1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worst Contracts: Ryan Anderson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jul 17, 2017.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

This is somewhat misleading and Meyers Leonard wasn't even on the list. We don't have it nearly as bad as Chandler Parsons. That dude single handedly dismantled a pretty good roster in Memphis this offseason with his crap contract. The contract with Ryan Anderson isn't THAT bad.

The worst by each position:

Joakim Noah

1. 2016-17 Per-Game Stats: 5.0 points, 8.8 rebounds, 2.2 assists, 0.7 steals, 0.8 blocks, 49.0 percent shooting

Remaining Contract Value: Three years, $55.6 million

Brandon Knight

1. 2016-17 Per-Game Stats: 11.0 points, 2.2 rebounds, 2.4 assists, 0.5 steals, 0.1 blocks, 39.8 percent shooting

Remaining Contract Value: Three years, $43.9 million
    Tim Hardaway Jr.

1. 2016-17 Per-Game Stats: 14.5 points, 2.8 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 0.7 steals, 0.2 blocks, 45.5 percent shooting

Remaining Contract Value: Four years, $70.9 million
    Chandler Parsons

1. 2016-17 Per-Game Stats: 6.2 points, 2.5 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 0.6 steals, 0.1 blocks, 33.8 percent shooting

Remaining Contract Value: Three years, $72.3 million

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You got busted up pretty good in this thread. Tinman is right, clutchfans does research. It's what makes us the best fan site in the world.

Mazulis likes this.
  3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Ryan Anderson's contract is so bad that it cost us Paul George, might cost us Melo, and now even Les Alexander is running away from it.

napalm06 likes this.
  4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Great work here.

Let's say Ryno was paid in the range of $14-16 mil. I think that's more his number, and looking at the field at large it wouldn't be a bad deal. The issue is, now to flip him for a superstar you're including more filler contracts. I have to believe that Ryno and EGo were designed to be shipped out together if a superstar was available, hence why they add up perfectly to a melo type deal.

I mean, if you want to look at bad contracts look no further than the blazers. They resigned all their guys from a year ago to bloated deals to show loyalty, what has that gotten them? An 8 seed and an ass kicking by GSW.

Ryno made CP3 to Houston possible. While he was non-existent in the playoffs, he was a part of Houston's regular season success. If Houston falls to a 4/5/6 seed, CP3 and the Clips don't match up against Utah. We don't see that team implode. We don't get CP3 or even get him to look at us.

5. dmoneybangbang

Meh, if he can make 3s during the playoffs then much will be forgiven.

6. valorita

valorita Member

Ryno's value to our team is worth 20mil/yr.

1) best floor spacer at the four
    2) not complaining of touches/chemistry
    3) got EG to come
    4) contributed to 55 wins and thus CP3

This is what we should be pitching to other teams.
    He was our lucky charms.

7. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Tin come over and teach me some math. Id love to see it. Considering my father taught me and is from rice uni.

8. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

9. Le$$

Le$$ Member

problem is you got dumb **** who 2nd grade edumacation seems viable for clutchfans. ever heard of typo?

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Yes the reason is because we need to move him to get Carmelo, his contract is slightly over paid, it's not awful, in economics this concept is called opportunity cost. It's the same reason why if you were dehydrated stuck in a desert, i could get you to give me your entire life savings for a gallon of water but if i came up to your house you'd tell me to go **** myself if i asked for $5.

I don't expect journalists to understand basic economics, they'll even at times touch on it without understanding it (such as suggesting it becomes more difficult as cap space elsewhere dries up) because most of them are dumb, but please, don't be dumb like them.

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

But it's way simpler than that, really...a guy with a single very good or elite aspect of the game, is just not worth a 20M contract, nothing more nothing less than this. Anderson is a great shooter, probably the best in the league in his spot, but in every other aspect of the game he's mediocre to bad.

- can't pass
    - can't run the floor
    - can't dribble
    - can't get past his defender
    - can't creat his own (good) shoot
    - can't rebound
    - can't play the 5 (which means in certain match ups you have to sit him)
    - can't guard the paint
    - can't block shots
    - can't stay in front of anybody
    - can't switch to save his life

...and until last season i could've added "can't stay healty", which is an aspect probably still scares other teams and then we should consider.

He's also almost 30 fwiw.

Yeah, he's an elite shooter, unfortunately basketball is more than just shooting.

pippendagimp likes this.
  12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

no he's worth about 15m a year, and there isn't simpler than that, if you think that then the simple thing probably applies to you as this is a very basic concept of deal making. It's the same reason that Morey moved Lin and Asik before free agency, if teams knew we had to move them to create space for Dwight, the vultures would have circled and we would have come out much worse than we did.

Even that article posting he starts with it wasn't considered awful and he didn't play too bad, but now it's awful, and he, and you don't understand how that train of logic reaches its conclusion.

Try following this, if Melo was traded to Cleveland a month ago, so there's no trades on the horizon, are people who don't understand how this stuff works even talking about Anderson as one of the worst contracts in the nba? no of course they aren't, he'd be talked about basically for what he is, a slightly over paid, great fit.

#52 Aleron, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  13. Vivi

Vivi Member

He may be worth 15M a year, but he's getting 20...i don't know man...i remember a lot of people being at least a bit surprised (if not shocked) by seeing the Rockets giving Ryan an 80x4 contract, and i was one of them...i like Ryan, he's a cool dude, i understand why he's a valuable piece here, but overall doesn't change the fact that he's just not a 20M x year player, no matter how you want to look at that contract.

I get what you're saying, as today teams know we must dump him and they're asking more because of that, but even in a normal situation i bet we wouldn't get a 2nd rounder for Ryan as today. His value considering the contract is just not as good as some of us here thinks.

Lin got moved in free agency though, not before. As soon as Lebron announced he was going back to Cleveland we got some sort of agreement with Bosh and we dumped Lin to LA.

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Anderson - not a bad guy
    Anderson - not really a bad contract
    immovable but not BAD - not the same thing

Anderson is simply not a NBA starter IMO

Rocket River

15. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Call me crazy but I believe CP3 will probably make Ryno look underpaid next season. Between Harden and Paul dishing him the ball he should be having a career 3 point shooting year.

chenjy9 and NJRockFan like this.
  16. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind if we got to keep him. I think he is going to have a great year with CP3 and Harden.

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Agreed. While I prefer Melo due to him being a significantly superior scorer, I would definitely not mind going into next season with Ryno at 4.

#57 chenjy9, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
  18. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

A piece of me died while reading this. What. A. Contract. What an overrated egomaniac, even with the injuries. He's going to make more than every NBA player ever made before 2012, without doing anything.
    I hated that contract when it was signed, even assuming that he'd be healthy.

don grahamleone likes this.
  19. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

His health is a big issue. I don't think he will ever be what he was before the injuries.

20. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Yeah, this designation seems to be more about our inability to flip him for Melo. The guy was our third leading scorer and shot 40% for the arc and was decent rebounder. None of the other guys in that list approach anything more than low end specialized players. Ryno's value to this team may be a higher than on any other team.