1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worst commercial ever...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thedreamisover, Feb 11, 2003.

1. thedreamisover

Oh, yeah, I've been meaning to say something about the nonsensical Yao/RocketsBootyGirls/Ladder commercial. How do you have one of the biggest faces in sports' marketing today and come up with that? Seriously, why not just string together some highlights and play the Yao Ming song if that's the best you could do? Somebody should really be ashamed of that commercial. I know that I am.

2. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

Amen.

That is just one very random commerical with very random things happening. And you can see Yao wasn't too happy hahaha.

However, a couple of those dancers are quite hot. :D

3. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

the rockets entire marketing department needs to be fired if you ask me. they have horrible commercials that they have to play 100 times a game, and their "be part of something big" slogan is just a big piece of crap to top it all of...

4. Samurai Jack

Samurai Jack Contributing Member

I disagree, the wife and I found the commercial amusing.

( maybe because we have two daughters around that age )

:)

5. Svpernaut

the camera action and "score" were horrible. sounded like they had an 80's cover-band playing in the corner while they gave a Sony Handi-Cam to a towel boy and said... "Go Make A Commercial!"

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

OK, somebody settle a disagreement with the wife.

She says that the kid in that commercial is a girl, but I swear that kid is a boy that needs a haircut...She is more familiar with kids that I am and is probably correct, but we argue about it every time that spot comes on...

Is that kid a boy or a girl?

7. Svpernaut

it's a little girl you weirdo! ;-)

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

A-Train: It's a girl.

I don't have any real problem with the Rockets commercials, however, what does annoy me is how often they get run during the game. I mean, good grief. Do I have to see them on every freakin' break? Either the players doing stuff or the season ticket/ticket package plan ads with all the drums playing.

It's bad enough that I have to hear "mean like an alligator, strong like a bear.." and "Ford is the best in Texas" so much I end up signing them in my sleep. A little variety would be nice. :)

By the way, a fellow BBS poster pointed something out to me recently...

How does being "mean like an alligator" exactly equate to good brakes? I mean, I understand "strong like a bear." But when did brakes get mean?

9. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

Yao should be kicked off the team for being involved in such a ridiculous commercial.
    i love you yao, but comeon

10. Svpernaut

it's in the player's contracts that they have to do commercials/pr events for the team, so Yao basically didn't have a say. i'm sure cat and franchise didn't exactly want to be coloring with school kids for theirs either.

11. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

The worst part about it wasnt even the gay plot , it was the fact that it looked like a home video from 1980.

12. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

You have got to be kidding me...That's it, I am officially forbidden from ever having children for the rest of my life...Does insurance cover vasectomies??

Personally, I blame Steve and Cuttino for the overall poor commercials...

13. ewfd

ewfd Member

It's a fairly clever and cute commercial.

Personally, I think the "be part of something big" slogan is the best promotional thing for the team done in a long time.. I've gone to 3 rockets games so far this year.. I had only been to 1 in the past 10 years before that..

14. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

I think these commercials were meant to appeal to the public at large. I think they do(although I personally don't like that one). Most of us here are fanatics anyway. We go to and watch every game we can. They have no need to advertise(sp?) to us.

And by the way....the Rockets have done a lot worse in previous years.

15. rocks4life

rocks4life Contributing Member

jeff,

I think mean like an alligator means that an alligator's bite is mean and when it bites it wont let go. Kinda like you step on brakes that will fasten tight so you can stop when you want the car to. Well, that is what i think it means at least.

16. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

The slogan is pretty good, I agree.
    It's just the quality of commercials is pathetic. The newspaper ads are far better.

17. Svpernaut

they're "be part of something big" would be a lot better if i didn't see a 50 foot moochie norris of all people. yeah moochie is so why i like to watch the rockets... lol, and the eddie griffin one is almost as bad. come one you have a decent player at best and an underachiever on billboards?

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that sounds vaguely familiar! :D

19. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

We need to incorporate the "Hiya Big Elephant" theme
    that would win everybody over.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Sorry, but all time WORSTEST Rox spots EVER were the old Bill Heard campaign, topped (bottomed?) by Clyde saying to Hakeem, 'I always wondered what the Dream dreams about...'

This 'era's' are bad enough, but -- they had predecessors!

PS I like the Be Start of Something Big idea. Anyone want to run it past the guards?