1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worrell's priceless commentary of Olajuwon destroying Robinson!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Jun 9, 2013.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

Wow great stuff! So basically the local broadcast versions of playoff games were pay per view and not on a local houston channel? I think what you guys are saying is that it probably worked the same way back then with NBC and TNT as now TNT and ESPN. NBC like TNT now does not allow local broadcasts of games, unlike ESPN now (maybe TNT back then as well?). The first 3 games of 1995 Conference Finals were TNT, then NBC picked it up so it makes sense they only had Game 1 till 3.

2. SSP365

SSP365 Member

worrell needs to go.

his blatant bias has become quite unprofessional and embarrassing publicly.

I know all team announcers have bias for their team (naturally) but ever since calvin left (calvin was very honest with his commentary and always put worrell in check) worrell has gone out of control and is devoid of any fair and balanced opinion when calling rockets games.

The opposing team would be making offensive moves and worrell would be interrupting the ongoing play by making incorrect biased calls against the other team. He never calls it fairly and this has caught the eyes of some media members and they even wrote about it.

He needs to tone it down and stop overstepping his boundaries as a play by play guy. That's what he is, not an analyst.

Worrell right now is on par with tommy heihnson of the celtics. No objectivity or honesty whatsoever when calling a game.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Blasphemous.

4. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

GTFO!!!

5. larry cook

larry cook Member

He's pretty bias but your stretching it as for firing. If anything Matt Bullard/Drexler and their stale cheesy lines should part and Calvin Murphy should be reunited with his long time buddy. Those two are the Originals and have some epic chemistry broadcasting together:cool:

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

The way it worked, before the original lockout of 1999, The CBA said that Nationally televised games (TNT/TBS) were blacked out in the local market. It forced you to watch your local broadcast team. Basically, if the Rockets were on TNT/TBS, the cable company would block it out in a blue screen with a message saying, hey you need to watch this game on HSE or Prime Sports or whatever we had on.

Back then, I believe some teams didn't have some type of deal, so all regular season games were PPV only. Atlanta Hawks may have been one.

I remember Bill saying the bamboozled line but that game was on the road, so I'm assuming it was on Paramount 20.

7. OTMax

OTMax Member

Really, well back then it was probably great to watch local broadcasts with Worrell & Calvin in their prime :) Any chance you recorded that game?

8. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

I never get tired of watching these. It's a great way to unwind after a rough day.

9. cml750

cml750 Member

After having to watch most of the games streaming over the internet, several with the other teams announcers, I have grown to appreciate Bill W. and Bullard (I have never been a fan of Drexler's commentary) even more. I have no problem with them showing a little bias. Seriously, some teams announcers are just bad, really bad. I like Worrell and really miss Gene Peterson and Jim Foley on the radio.

10. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

What point is there in Bill Worrell trying to sound unbiased? He's been in and around the Rockets organization for like 25 years, and I'm pretty sure he was calling Phi Slama Jama games before that. He IS a Rocket. He's also a professional and a gentleman (on air, anyway), which is about all you can ask of a freaking play by play guy.

11. cml750

cml750 Member

I completely agree with you!!! I like that our announcers are fans too!!!