1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Workout/Nutrition Help Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SK34, Jan 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Brah, if you read any of my posts on here. you'd know im brand new to this and actually solicited advice.id rather talk to a bro than some formal balonie expert. ****, people come up to me in the gym asking what i do for my shoulders. mother****er, i wasnt even working them out. i just started doing standing overhead presses yesterday.

now, my thing is with books. they are all a waste of time, and just balonie. you're hearing some butthole put his thoughts on paper that are formed sometimes academically with little relation and relevance to your specific situation. and if you know anything about me, im an ivy leaguer that hates pseudo-academia balonie.

SIL

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The best thing to do for a reality check is to have an expert critique your physique. You can post pics here and I can do that.

3. theimpossibles1

Sounds like you could get a lot of value from this book. It is known for being a no-nonsense logical approach.

Check out this short intro from the guy:

https://www.muscleforlife.com/about-me/

Look at his physique, it is no "phony baloney." Look at the reviews (4.7/5 on amazon) and before and after pics from people that read it. Trust me I know there is plenty of BS out there in the fitness world but based on everything I have seen this book is legit.

Bro im gonna level with you. You seem like a very intelligent and energetic person. Those are fantastic qualities that most people truly long for.

Your arrogance, however, is really holding you back. I promise I am not trying to be mean or insulting I just really think you could be a top notch human if you worked on certain aspects of yourself.

4. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

I don't judge someone's physique for knowledge on this, this is like saying MJ is the best person to evaluate basketball talent. There's tons of dudes at my gym that look like **** compared to me, but know way more than me in this area. It's not arrogance, it's called reading through bullshit, but for argument's sake.

Tell me where I'm lacking.

6'4 barefoot
    210-215lbs and athletic(my body pics have been on this site)
    Ivy Leaguer
    Mid 20s
    Own Condo
    Commodity Trader by profession
    Dog Owner
    Mixed race(light skin with eyes that'll get any girl)

SIL

5. theimpossibles1

It sounds like you have all the superficial and material things that you want. That is great. What you seem to be lacking is any semblance of wisdom or spiritualism.

I am confident that you are very happy right now. As you grow older and these things no longer bring you the same satisfaction they once did, you will wish you had spent some time working on your inner self.

The payoff will be excellent long term loving relationships, excellent physical health and longevity, and true, permanent hapiness.

If you continue to feel like you have it mostly figured out and close your mind to outside knowledge, you will eventually and inevitably crash and burn.

Private message me if you would like to continue this conversation. I don't want to derail the thread.

6. theimpossibles1

Didn't feel like doing the usual run/bike ride cardio today so I just did "H.I.I.T. with Scott Baker" ep1 (of3) found on Amazon Prime video.

Not only a great cardio workout but I actually had a lot of fun. Nice little endorphin rush going.

The host is very warm and fun while also pushing you hard. Highly recommend for a little changeup.

SirIvyLeague likes this.
  7. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Wanna do sprints together?

SIL

8. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

what does everyone use for headphones while working out? i need some new headphones, wireless/bluetooth connected ASAP.

i'm seriously considering buying some over the ear headphones this time around. i've prob gone through 15-20 pairs of IEM (wired/wireless) over the course of time and haven't came across a pair that hasn't had an ear piece or both cut on on me within a few weeks/months.

i mean they're only going to be workout headphones but i can't get any to last me a year or two? damn

help me out clutch fans

9. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

I’ve only had the Jaybirds X, which I had no complaints. Easy set up. Battery life was fair. The quality of material and sound I would say is above average. Plenty of ear bud fittings to choose from. Hopefully you can find some around for a good price.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Does anybody on here use a foam roller or do yoga?

11. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Foam roller is life, especially with sciatica/piriformis pain.

edit: I ordered this one from Amazon... only $21 for the 3 foot roller

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

I just bought one...I always have a lot of soreness in my feet, legs, and shoulders so I’m hoping it will help

13. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

It will definitely help. You can find how-to videos of the exercises you need for your problem areas on google/youtube.

Reeko likes this.
  14. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

In the last year I discovered yoga and it's changed/saved my life.

I started on May 11th of last year at 332.8lbs (5'8" 48 y/o M) and through just counting calories and doing yoga I'm down to 246.4 lbs (86.4 lbs lost). I started by taking a beginners series of classes at a local studio once a week then for the next month continued to practice once a week, just trying not to die at the beginning I was so out of shape and obese. As I started to drop weight I started adding in an extra practice a week as I was able to. September 23rd of last year was the last time I went a day without an instructor lead practice. I've practiced at least once a day in studio since then, and 235 times over all (its been 292 days since May 11). Some days I do a spirited vinyasa (hot and sweaty) style practice, other days I do a yin or restorative practice where its chill, laid back and stretchy and more meditative. I also go to gong meditations and other meditative practices.

I feel better today than I have in over a decade. One of the studios I regularly practice at gave me a scholarship to their yoga teacher training so I'm currently doing that because I just can't get enough yoga. Yoga is for everyone. It can scale to your body, injuries, fitness level etc. Its also a great compliment to other exercises because it's a total mind & body exercise.

I'd be happy to answer any questions.

15. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

Dont indulge the trolls that'll tell you its a waste without ever having heard of or read the book. I've read it, it works. But tbh of course its going to work. You're eating right and lifting, so yeah you will see a change. I liked it cause it helps you focus on whats important and if you really stick to it you will get shredded. Gives you good insight on things like what exercises to be doing, proper form, and has some motivational items placed in it.

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  16. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I started taking a photo lifting the weight I lost. Here I am holding 80lbs of dog food

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

congrats on your amazing progress man

Was their anything in particular that drew u to yoga as opposed to something else? Could u recommend some studios? I’m in pretty good shape, but like I told el gnomo, I’ve been experiencing some pretty bad body soreness for awhile now. I’ve also had times where my back just tightened up out of nowhere while hooping, and sometimes I’ll just get random pains on different parts of my body. It’s gotten me to start thinking about better ways to take care of my body so that it can be in the best condition possible as I start to get older. That’s what got me to buy the foam roller and start looking into things like yoga.

VooDooPope and theimpossibles1 like this.
  18. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I'm in the North Shore of Lake Travis area so I don't know any studio's in Houston. I was drawn to yoga because I couldn't walk far, or run, and I needed to do something. I emailed a studio near my house and the owner told me Yoga could scale to my abilities (or lack there of). It wasn't easy at first (but what is?) but it got easier with practice... and it does scale to your abilities.

I would recommend finding a small studio (not a chain, not Birkram,) and email them. Maybe start with a Yin or restorative class if soreness is an issue as they're more chill, and stretchy. Get there 15 mins early and talk to the instructor and let them know what is bothering you. Smaller, good, studios will check in with students and a good instructor will adapt their practice to accommodate for injuries, offer modifications on poses etc and you miss that in large chain studio's.

You can also use class pass to try different studio's and class styles etc. If you decide to do that I can send you a referral link and we'll both get some credit. You can DM me through the board if you have specific questions and don't want to derail this thread.

Reeko and theimpossibles1 like this.
  19. theimpossibles1

Excellent post. The world needs more info like this instead of 'the refs screwed us' or 'Kellerman whines about something' etc. Happy for you that you made this change in your life and are now bringing positive energy into the universe.

Thanks for sharing

VooDooPope likes this.
  20. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Thanks a lot. I'm not even kidding when I say it changed/saved my life. I tried to lose weight before but the difference this time was the mental side of yoga. It help me deal with stress and I hit the reset button on my attitude and outlook daily. One of the reasons I accepted the scholarship for teacher training is to give back and inspire others. I look forward to seeing where my yoga journey takes me and hope I can help others.

Reeko and theimpossibles1 like this.