1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Workout/Nutrition Help Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SK34, Jan 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ditch the box.

before you workout again try doing a few body squats. check how that feels when you drop to different positions. see if that pain exists when you do it and get a feel for where you're comfortable/pain-free.

the combination of two of the three (overhead presses, with the barbell, standing up) are fine but i think you may risk falling off balance with too much weight going full overhead extension.

what adjustments did you make to your bench press? how has it worked out?

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Not sure what you mean, but don't worry so much about "heavy weight" doing overhead presses unless you are using a machine. Focus on form and balance first, then gradually increase the weight.

There are any number of triceps exercises. Tricep pushdown (using cables) and bench press are a couple.

3. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

I have it to where it's a a little past shoulder width, and I moved the bench seat to a slightly decline. It really works the chest. That's an excellent chest bench set up for a tall dude.

How do I get 70lbs dumbbells up to do overhead press with them. That'd be hard.

For triceps I do dips. I attach a weight to myself and try to do them heavy.

SIL

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

First off, you won't start at 70 lbs. Start at a weight you can easily handle, gradually increase the weight and in 2-3 months you'll be blown away by the progress.

"It ain't where you start, it's the progress you are making." Don't chase the fools gold of quick results or you will fail.

5. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

I meant that as an example. I can probably only get a weight off the rack and over my head that wouldn't be strong enough if I just started in the overhead position. Should I do them seated?

SIL

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

this month I’ve been going to the gym 4-5x a week in the morning...lift for 1 around hour , then hoop for 1-2 hours...shower, then off to work

been using this app called Workout: Gym Exercise Planner...I like it because it gives me a set of exercises that I need to do so I’m going to the gym knowing what I need to accomplish and I’m not just wandering around doing random stuff, and it shows u how to do each exercise correctly

my only cardio is hooping and walking my dogs for at least an hour every day except when it’s cold AF

#1206 Reeko, Jan 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

I also don’t drink now unless I’m out with friends or something...don’t drink soda or juice either...pretty much just water and green tea for me

I try to eat clean throughout the week and then eat junk/go out to eat on the weekends

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Either is fine. Standing requires using more muscles for stability.

9. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Walking dogs is second best form of exercise according to me.

SIL

10. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

But with a dumbell, it's really impractical you can't use near the kind of weight you can seated.

SIL

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Sitting is fine too.

Understand this: The overhead press isn't an isolation exercise that solely focuses on the tris. It's a compound movement (which is the best way to go) that incorporates the shoulders, delts, traps, etc. If you stand, it also works additional muscles further down your upper body.

Don't worry about how heavy the weight is at the beginning.

SirIvyLeague likes this.
  12. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Brah, I don't wanna look like a p***y.

In all seriousness, I really don't care about the weight. I did that box thing ryan suggested, and to get all the way down like that without too much pain required 25lbs on each side, which isn't very much. You have studs like @Pen15clubber lifting 405lbs. Not too caught up in that, just want to get stronger and fill out some.

But okay, I'll try that as I go right now. I just saw someone do it with the barbell, and thought damn that's a real beast mode exercise. I'm already filling out, I've lost 3lbs but a lot of that was alcohol weight. I'm up 1 size in clothing and my concierge noticed that I was lifting weights. Damn right she did. Got a date from a fitness girl yesterday, saw some of the game at Rodizzio grill last night.

If you have long arms, what do you do for biceps besides curls?

SIL

13. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Not so much on the workoût side but I did a semi juice diet.

Fruit smoothie in the morning, bone broth around 10, veggie juice lunch, bone broth around 2. Green tea to drink.

For dinner I ate anything. Lost 5 pounds in a week. probably from all the prep work involved but it was interesting. I don’t think I consumed enough to have the energy for regular workouts too but it was a good, passive diet where I got to eat my fill once a day. Will do again.

14. theimpossibles1

I just bought the book "Bigger, Leaner, Stronger" by Michael Matthews. I have heard good things about it. Anyone here read it? Thoughts on it?

15. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Waste of money.

SIL

16. theimpossibles1

Why do you always post your opinions without any substance to back it up?

I will indulge you... why is it a waste of money? Have you read it?

17. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

You don't need substance to form or support your opinion. Much to your delight, I'll give you some feedback. What help is a book going to provide you, really?

What are you looking to get out of it?

SIL

18. theimpossibles1

You are right. You don't need substance or support for your opinions. However, if you want people to respect your opinions, you do.

The answer to both of your questions: Knowledge.

So has anyone read the book?

19. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Practical and real applicable experience>>>>>>>>>> knowledge from a ****ing book.

Rather than wasting your time reading it, I suggest you go to a gym. A far better investment of time for your body.

SIL

20. theimpossibles1

See my edited post. I have spent plenty of time in the gym. I don't, like you, think I know everything there is to know about exercise/nutrition, so I read the expert, substantive opinions of a proven fitness author rather than take random advice from bros on forums.