1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Working Downtown

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, Feb 26, 2018.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Never thought the day would come, but I may be looking at an opportunity that’s located downtown. I’ve always worked in field offices and casual office settings, so this would be 100% foreign to me. The commute won’t be a huge issue, but other than that I’m just looking for input from people who’ve worked there.

Pros/cons, the good bad ugly, etc. My experience downtown begins and ends with sporting events, concerts and nightlife. I do know that the building does have direct access to the tunnels and relatively convenient parking.

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I'll be working in downtown beginning this summer too. So will keep an eye on this thread.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

4. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I never had an issue with working downtown. I think the traffic is a bit overrated, depending on where you are coming from. Especially if they provide you with parking. But its just like getting anywhere else, in my opinion. Except easy access to food.

5. Damion Laverne

I worked downtown before. Really good food options. I took the METRO in terms of commuting and it wasn't bad.

6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I loved working in downtown, I do miss it. Good food options, it's really not that much heavy traffic and better options for public transit if you are commuting from the burbs or somewhere in town. Tunnels are great to avoid the heat.

7. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Food is awesome. Take the train and grab a burger at hubcap grill.

8. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I work downtown now, in Houston Center. I love working down here. Every single food option you could want is a short walk away. I've worked all over the city, and downtown is by far my favorite area of town to work in.

9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I work in Houston Center too, but I don't know about most of these awesome food options :(

Dozoo Dumplings in Park Shops
    Hubcap Grill

but thats all I can think of...

Roscoe Arbuckle and HR Dept like this.
  10. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

There’s some good options in the market square area of Travis Street.

HR Dept likes this.
  11. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Downtown Houston has chewed up and spat out far greater men than yourself. Stick to your paper route, kid.

Fullcourt and HR Dept like this.
  12. marky :)

marky :) Member

Used to work in downtown and food choices galore especially in the underground tunnels. Traffic is expected but if you just go with the mindset that there's nothing you can do about it then you're golden.

Hopefully your new job provides parking and/or gives you a discount on parking. That expense racks up quickly.

HR Dept likes this.
  13. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

I work in 2 Allen Center and as others have said traffic is just something you deal with on a daily basis. I live in Pearland so if I'm not on the freeway before 4pm then I'll be stuck in traffic. I try to take alternate routes (i.e., Scott, Cullen, Almeda, etc.) but with the rodeo about to start those options get slimmer. Food variety is good and most is in walking distance. My biggest complaint, as Marky points out in his response, is the cost of parking. My company doesn't offer subsidized parking but we do get a little discount. Good luck with your new job!

HR Dept likes this.
  14. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Forgot to mention Phoenicia. I can eat there everyday...

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Bros what I’ve been doing for parking lately is parking on the street literally right outside the front door of my building. It’s $7 for the downtown hopper. You’re supposed to only stay in a spot 3 hours at a time, but I’ve stayed all day on a few occasions and never had an issue. It’s also nice because you can come and go as you please through the day. It’s a good option if you have plenty of street parking near your building.

HR Dept likes this.
  16. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Mango Tree is solid if you haven’t tried it. It’s on street level. Doozo is one of my favorites. Leaf and Grain is really good if you want a salad.

HR Dept likes this.
  17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Is it really you brother?

18. hvic

hvic Member

Have you tried MKT steak night before?

19. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I'll add as well, if your company doesn't pay for parking, it may be worth it to take the bus. I had a stop close to my house I could walk to, so it wasn't a park and ride bus (I live in spring branch). The cheapest parking near my building at the time was $7 per day. $4 if you got there before 8 (I hardly ever did that). The bus was $2.50 round trip. It actually took a little longer, but I took the time to catch up on reading and such. Limits leaving during the day, but I didn't do that very often any way.

kgw and HR Dept like this.
  20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I used to want to work downtown after I moved back from Chicago. I mostly just wanted the tall buildings. But it never happened, and now I'm over it and would probably more dread the hassle than enjoy the tall buildings.

HR Dept likes this.