1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[work advice] Facing bullying, should I stay at my current job?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by W22_STREAK, Jul 19, 2015.

1. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Hi Clutchfans.

The issue I have is about bullying at work.

Normally I probably wouldn't post anything like this for fear of embarassment and pride, but I convinced myself what is there to lose on an internet message board. So I would just like to ask for some advice from you guys about my current work situation.

I graduated from an associate degree in Civil Engineering at the middle of last year. Applied for jobs and started at this current company in August last year.

It is a small company(civil engineering laboratory) where we do physical testing of quarry aggregates (rocks) and soils for their quality assurance. So the aggregates/soils can be sold for the purposes of construction of roads and highways. There are 8 of us technicians who do the actual testing, plus 1 supervisor, 1 manager.

It is an all-male environment, ranging from the age of 19 to 25.

Soon after I started the job I began to get bullied by this fellow technician. He is white and I am a local, but of Asian descent. He is the "alpha-male" of among us technicians, always the life of the party, telling jokes, teasing people to make everyone laugh, dominates conversation, issuing orders around, etc, basically the stuff the alpha-male does in a group of young males scenario. Most of our colleagues obviously follows along with him and laughs at all his jokes, and perhaps even adore him somewhat.

I got along with everyone else just fine. However this bully has serious racist tendencies, so I could not get a relationship established with him due to him rejecting my friendly overtures. He was hard to approach and also was not interested in having any casual conversations with me. Never looks at you in the eye when speaking to you, etc.

Soon the bullying began. He would begin making fun of me to all the colleagues and his friends at work in front of me, and generally just treating/making fun of me like I am a total joke. Examples include: "If you go to Japan, you must see heaps of Stevens (my name is Steven) on the street." "Why did your parents choose the English name Steven for you? Why didn't they name you Maximus 9000 or Universal Overlord or something?" Once an Asian friend of mine came for an interview, and he shouted:"Is that your brother? Is that your cousin? ... Do you traffic humans or something? Do you traffic Cubans?" or at the lunch table he would shout: "Steven! Are you ready to do some hard soil testing?!!! No?!! Well too bad!!!"

That is just a few of the examples of the bullying. It continued for about 5 months before it finally stopped in February this year. I spoke to my supervisor last December, however our supervisor adores this bully and all his jokes, and so just said some formalities to me like "Oh hope the situation gets better", but I could tell he didn't really care. My manager would always be away on business meetings/trips so I couldn't speak to him.

Then I confronted the bully in December and had a talk to him, he verbally agreed. However in reality he did not stop and the bullying continued.

In the whole process of the bullying, I lost a lot of sleep, maybe sleeping 4 to 5 hours each night. I was depressed all day everyday. A lot of cigarettes and alcohol were consumed. I dreaded going to work because of this bully, as he dominates the social scene there. I thought about quitting the job, but I thought I would turn the situation around and life could return to normal.

To get away from getting bullied, I would even take breaks and eat lunch in my car and try to stay as far away from him as possible. However its a very small company and so you would pretty much be facing each other every day, and this created an enormous amount of stress for me.

The bullying largely stopped around February this year. From then on there would be 0 conversation between us apart from essential work communication.

However, even though the bullying has stopped, I would still be really terrified of him. I am really afraid of being bullied again by him. Every day at work is really stressful, as since you are pretty much working right next to each other throughout the day. My heartrate goes faster all day as I am extremely stressed about working in the same room as him. I am still only getting 4 to 5 hours of sleep per night, 6 if I'm lucky, and am depressed all day as I hate going to work.

I feel like quitting, but I feel like out of loyalty to my boss who gave me the opportunity to get into this job and has been training me, I feel like its morally wrong to quit so soon.

Does anyone has any suggestions or advice? Anything would be much appreciated.

2. Asian Sensation

DeVry offers civil engineering degrees?

You're Asian?

Why you no go to Harvard or Yale?

You know Karate... Use it.

1 person likes this.
  3. Outlier

Outlier Member

Honestly...this is the kind of stuff that should have stopped in high school. I believe you can also call corporate and complain about this and they will do something about it. This is a make or break situation actually....bullies like this can make or break you...if you don't want to call corporate, I suggest you say dumb things to insult him too, or shrug it off with a smile and call him a bad name. Try to adapt and show you can deal with jerks like this. But seriously..this is something you don't need to deal with and you can call corporate. Don't just quit for something as small as this.

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

Wait I just read it again and you said it stopped yet it still bothers you...? Man that's kind of strange.. in that case, I suggest you attend a church and try to clear out the heaviness you feel within you.

5. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

Document every instance with the date and time and what he says, especially the racist stuff. I would even include other people who are around when he says this stuff. After you have some documentation, take it to HR. Let them handle it. He's creating a hostile work environment which is affecting productivity.

6. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

It's karma for all the bad BBS posting.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

There isn't an HR based on his description of the company.

Go work someplace else. If you can't get over it after 5 months, you aren't going to. If he hadn't stopped, I'd understand your post, but he stopped a long time ago.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Its simple: We kill the douchebag.

9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

he doesnt seem very alpha, just insecure.

stand up for yourself.

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

A new job would be a short term fix. It sounds like you really need to speak with a professional. With the drinking, smoking, depression, and lasting effects that guy caused, its easy to see that you have some underlying issues that you need to work out.

Hopefully you have health insurance with this job and can afford to speak with a counselor or doctor who specializes in helping patients talk through their issues. You'll be a better person for it.

Good luck.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

He stopped and it's still bothering you to that level? Sounds like it's spinning in your head and body. Get some physical exercise, do some yoga, mindfulness training, meditation. It's a great opportunity to get to know yourself and you'll be better for it. If none of that help, seeks professional help.

12. Nook

Nook Member

First, no it isn't appropriate or right for him to have acted the way he did. To him it probably was all a joke but it wasn't to you and it is obvious that it did bother you and still does. HOWEVER, at this point he has stopped and it has been a long enough period of time (5 months) that it isn't just a coincidence and it is unlikely he does it again.
    You said you get along with everyone else, and that the aggressor now leaves you alone. At this point it is on you. There is nothing more that can happen. They are not going to fire someone for something that happened months ago. I appreciate you being loyal to the man that believed in you enough to give you an opportunity. I suggest you talk to friends and family about it and see if you can work out your feelings. This has nothing to do with Bigtexxx and everything to do with inside of you. Just look at it like this, your former bully hasn't bullied you in almost half a year but is still dominating your thoughts and emotions... don't give him that sort of power.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I empathize with you, but I don't think this coworker really thinks he is being racist, but rather just messing with you locker room style in an all guy's environment.

You just have to roll with the punches and make reference to some silly stereotypes about white people. For example ask him where he takes his Klan robes for laundry, or if he is thinking about killing himself since he can't fly the Confederate flag anymore. Things like that. Not too serious, but playful back and forth that usually will make you part of the team.

If you can show that you can take a joke and dish it back to him or anyone things will get a lot better so much faster.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Get another job. Your obligation to be loyal to your boss ended when he failed to stop the racist harassment at work.

You could take it to the point of a lawsuit at work for hostile work environment, but it's a huge drain and I would jus be the bigger man and walk.

This bully will get checked at some point in life, but he will just move on and do it somewhere else. Which leads me to my next point.

Guys (and women) like this are everywhere in life. In fact, something like 80% of workplace bullying comes from the supervisor. You are going to have to figure out how to deal with it eventually. You can either roll with the punches and come back at the new bully (I suggest momma jokes). Or you will have to move on, every time.

Good luck, man. Crappy situation but overall you're employed and getting experience. I wouldn't mention ANY of this to anyone at your next job. Just get a fresh start.

15. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Yeah, this. He stopped because you are no fun to roast because you don't roast back. I don't think he was the steal your lunch money bully.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I doubt you would get much sympathy from anyone in your company if you explained the scenario. As I understand your situation....

Started job
    Got bullied
    Finally confronted the guy in December
    Stopped for a bit
    Apparently started again
    Completely stopped in February
    Five months bullying free

Considering it still bothers you after five months, you should probably go receive professional counseling.

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

Find out where he lives...

[​IMG]

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Bro, you are very sensitive. You are taking this too serious. Roasting is a part of our nature. Your insecurities is whats killing you.

19. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

And you think it is possible that the supervisor told the dude to just layoff you a bit? He may have seemed like he didn't care, but it would be easy to tell dude to layoff if they have a good relationship like you say.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

File an HR report.

Go up the chain.

DD