1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wonderlic This! New Texans' scores.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Ottomaton, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Background:

At the NFL combine, the Wonderlic test is among the most interesting, though not necessarily useful, tests which they administer. It is a short-form, quick IQ test, in which the test taker has 12 minutes to answer 50 questions. ESPN has some sample questions on their site to give you a feel for what they ask. Generally, if you score too low, teams will downgrade you because you won't be able to learn the offense, and they'll downgrade you for scoring too high, because they believe it predisposes you to being a smartass.

The scores range from 1 (least intelligent) to 50 (super-genus). According to the Wonderlic Corporation, who administers the test, a score of 20 equals an average IQ of 100, and a score of 10 is considered the minimal threshold of literacy.

Since they began administering the test to NFL players in the 1970's, only one player has managed to score 50, Harvard Punter Pat McInally, and one player, who understandably decided to remain anonymous, scored a 1.

What's Normal?
    (From ESPN.com)

For the general population:

Chemist: 31
    Programmer: 29
    Newswriter: 26
    Sales: 24
    Bank teller: 22
    Clerical Worker: 21
    Security Guard: 17
    Warehouse: 15

NFL averages, by position (where available):

Offensive tackles: 26
    Centers: 25
    Quarterbacks: 24
    Guards: 23
    Tight Ends: 22
    Safeties: 19
    Middle linebackers: 19
    Cornerbacks: 18
    Wide receivers: 17
    Fullbacks: 17
    Halfbacks: 16

The Texans:
    (Followed by positional averages)

Score in red if 5+ below positional average/general average.
    Score in blue if 5+ above positional average/general average.
    (Remember 10 denotes literacy.)

1. QB David Carr - 24 (24)

2a. WR Jabar Gaffney - 11 (17)
    2b. OG Chester Pitts - 26 (23)

3a. OG Fred Weary - 16 (23)
    3b. DT Charles Hill - unavailable

4. RB Jonathan Wells - 6 (16)

5a. FB Jarrod Baxter - 29 (17)
    5b. S Ramon Walker - unavailable

6a. CB Demarcus Faggins - 10 (18)
    6b. DT Howard Green - 9

7a. DE Greg White - 16
    7b. DE Ahmad Miller - 12

#1 Ottomaton, Apr 21, 2002
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2002
  2. Major

Major Member

So you're saying we have a running back who's dumb as a doorknob, and a generally not-so-bright group of draftees? Excellent!

3. right1

right1 Member

Let's make Baxter the team captain.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

what was Earl Campbells' score
    [he was drafted in the 70s right :) ]

i heard tales of coming out of the huddle
    they just told Earl which way to run.
    cause he never remembered the plays

Earl Left
    Earl Right
    Earl Center

Rocket River

5. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Chester Pitts looks like a nerd.

6. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

From cbs.sportsline.com
    Hm...

Glasses...

26 on the Wonderlic...

Went to science school...

Science school without football...

I think you're on to something.

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

12 out of 15.

Not too shabby.

I ran a 4.13

Shabby

8. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

Can't give you specifics, but a quick search for 'Earl Campbell' and 'Wonderlic' revealed this quote, from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinal:

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

just remember, as a freshman, gaffney set numerous records playing in spurrier's supposedly complicated offensive sytem. gaffney may not be book smart, but he seems to be plenty football smart.

i thoguht he was a gift at #33.

10. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Amen to that.

All I really care about is Carr's Wonderlic score. I couldn't give a rat's ass about anyone else's. Carr runs (ok, will run eventually) the team. Sure, it would be nice to field a team of nuclear physicists, but Carr needs to be smart. What was Ryan Leaf's Wonderlic score?

11. Ottomaton

Supporting Member

I couldn't find a number for Leaf any closer than the mid-20's, same as Payton Manning. Apparently he did really poorly on the personality tests, which was, in retrospect the 'red flag' that everyone missed.

Jeff George, apparently, scored a 10.

Kordell Stewart scored a 14.

Michael Vick scored a 20.

Dan Marino scored 22.

Steve McNair scored a 23.

Steve Young scored a 33.

Mega-bust Akili Smith scored a 37.

Finally, in 2000, the 49ers took both the highest, and lowest scorers in the first round. Ahmed Plummer scored a 39, while Julien Peterson scored a 3!

I am a bit worried about anybody scoring well below a 10. If you are illiterate, then how are you going to read the playbook, much less understand it?

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

lets see. if i did 12 for 15, and there are 50 questions....

x

do the math, (50)(12)=15x

600=15x

x=40

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I got 14 right. This question does not make sense though:

12. The hours of daylight and darkness in SEPTEMBER are nearest equal to the hours of daylight and darkness in:

1. June, 2. March, 3. May, 4. November.

The say the answer is March. In reality, though, the hours of daylight and darkness in any given month is just the number of hours in a day*number of days in the month.

Spetember has 30 days, as do June and November. March has 31 days, as does May. How can the answer be March?

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jayz, I took the question to mean, "In which month does the number of hours of darkness and the number of hours of daylight equal the number of hours of darkness and the number of hours of daylight for each individual day?"

In other words, if there are 16 hours of daylight and 8 hours of darkness in each day of September, in which month is this also true?

The question does seem to be poorly worded, however, and can be taken many ways.

15. JayZ750

Hmmm. I see. Even then, would March be the answer, whereever you live on earth?

16. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think so, as long as you are talking about the same location for September as you are March. They are exactly 6 months apart, or half a year. The pattern of the daylight/darkness is cyclical, and the amount of daylight is the same 6 months from whatever month you are currently in...

...or at least that is how I remember it from physics or astronomy or whatever the hell class I learned that in.

17. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

15/15.... on my way to Harvard.......................................................... to punt.

18. JayZ750

This sounds right, but I'm no astronomer. The reason I was asking was because it also seems plausible that 6 months apart the pattern of daylight/drakness during any given day (which we concluded is what the question is asking) may be completely opposite, not necessarily the same - meaning March would only be right if there are 12 hours of daylight and 12 of darkness. I guess it depends on the cycle lenght. Anyway, it doesn't matter, I was just curious.

19. Major

Major Member

I think so, as long as you are talking about the same location for September as you are March. They are exactly 6 months apart, or half a year. The pattern of the daylight/darkness is cyclical, and the amount of daylight is the same 6 months from whatever month you are currently in...

That may be true in this particular case (March / September), but it's not universally true. January and July are six months apart, and they have very different amounts of sunlight. :p