1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

"Women who are sexually harassed should find another career"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 1, 2016.

?

Do you agree with Trump's view on this matter?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Trump: women who are sexually harassed should shut up and find new jobs.<a href="https://t.co/qPfbMMQv0G">https://t.co/qPfbMMQv0G</a> <a href="https://t.co/h8OyfwiEOr">pic.twitter.com/h8OyfwiEOr</a></p>&mdash; Jon Lovett (@jonlovett) <a href="https://twitter.com/jonlovett/status/760221309972258817">August 1, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

When did Trump suggest women should shut up?

If anyone doesn't like their job, they should be proactive and look for different work.

If a woman is harassed, it should be brought to management or HR. If it doesn't stop, she has two options. Deal with it and keep working or bring a lawsuit forth and find a new job.

1 person likes this.
  3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

To be fair, Trump was asked what would Ivanka do - and that's what he answered. He wasn't asked what should women in general do.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Minority employees understand discrimination complaints are borderline impossible to prove: documentation, consistent negative treatment to similar employees, witnesses with little enough deterrent and enough personal affinity to confirm your allegations without adding negative feedback of their own, salvaging alternate professional resources for your longest, most recent experiences. So while that's unsound ethically, it's probably the most realistic strategy, though more so at a firm than industry/career level.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

references

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

He was asked what his first wife would have done: find a new job. I assume that is Trump's way of saying she would have stood up for herself by leaving an abusive workplace. Oh I know, that Ivanka, such an uppity immigrant.

7. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

His first wife was Ivana. Ivanka is his daughter.

I swear this is like, the third time I've seen you make this mistake.

8. Carl Herrera

The question isn't about Ivanka, though. "Ivanka" is really a figure of speech here used to ask Donald Trump to put himself in the shoes of the harassed women and their families.

It's like Hillary Clinton talking about the "Chelsea Test" for schools (http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-06-28/clintons-chelsea-test-not-a-reality-for-most-families). It's not really about Chelsea personally, but rather evaluating school overall by putting herself in the other parents' shoes.

BTW, here's Eric Trump:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Eric Trump: Ivanka wouldn't allow herself to be subjected to sexual harassment <a href="https://t.co/fx2TFie6M7">https://t.co/fx2TFie6M7</a> | Getty <a href="https://t.co/i6aiTYLJP7">pic.twitter.com/i6aiTYLJP7</a></p>&mdash; POLITICO (@politico) <a href="https://twitter.com/politico/status/760459876690690048">August 2, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#8 Carl Herrera, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This is the victim mentality the Libtards keep using to complain about life. wipe your tears, take a shower and get on with your life!

-heartless individual

10. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I was hoping for a "Ivanka's heard much worse from her father" statement.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The question, per your post, was:

What if someone had treated Ivanka in the way Ailes allegedly behaved?​

I don't know how it could be more explicitly about Ivanka.

Trump's response:

"I would like to think she would find another career or find another company if that was the case."​

Again, very clearly about Ivanka.

12. Carl Herrera

Mr. Trump, what if it was Eric that died in military service like Captain Khan?

I would hope that Eric would have avoided getting blown up by car bombs.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What's the cost of an extremely wealthy person quitting a job once she finds the conditions undesirable?

What's the cost of a soldier abandoning the military once she finds the conditions undesirable?

I don't think they're comparable.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

OP title is wrong.

There is no quote like that in the article. Show me where Trump says that. I mean, Trump throws us bad quotes all the time, we don't need to invent them.

And, thus, it makes the poll completely wrong, too.

Disappoint.

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

No need to make reaches like this when trying to make Trump look bad. He does it all on his own.

Swing and a miss.

16. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Democrats and Hillary: our supporters are different, they aren't like Trump supporters.

Democrat supporters: post misleading and mischaracterizing threads about Trump.

THOSE UPPITY WOMEN, AMIRITE?

17. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trump is just further showing lack of empathy. The question posed used his daughter to try and elicit some compassion, but Trump isn't capable of really putting himself in someone else's shoes. This question was his "Chelsea Test" question.

Yes, it is true his daughter probably wouldn't tolerate the treatment. Coming from wealth, she can just walk away. Trump doesn't get that there are people facing horrible treatment in the workplace who just can't quit their jobs or give up a lifetime of preparation to change industries.

Just another dumb statement from a guy who doesn't get it. Too much time living in his own bubble. And I am pretty sure he knows he is that guy who makes it tough for these women in their workplaces.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Trump is saying what is in the title - he's basically saying what any parent would say - hope their kid finds a better situation where they will be happy. Fighting these kinds of cases very rarely prove productive as it's hard to prove and comes with great cost.

I also think it's stupid for some people to use this as an example that Hillary supporters are just as bad as some of the Trump supporters.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Not a Trump fan at ALL, but this thread is stupid.

20. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Everything involving Trump is stupid.