1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WojYahooNBA] T-Mac for Butler?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Matt Maloney, Jan 1, 2010.

Tags:
  1. herro

herro Member

How does Washington have better young assets than Philadelphia?

Speights
    Young
    Williams
    Holiday

>

Washington's youngsters.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i'd be worried Z would retire on us...there's a lot of talk about him staying a cav his whole career, how he loves it and thats what he wants and i think the team feels the same in a way.

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

where is all this iggy talk coming from, he's not getting traded! Not for tmac anyway...everyone is talking about him like he's been offered to us...

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I read it perfectly. I just assumed a poster of your caliber would know the NBA 101 type stuff that draft picks hold $0 worth of value for salary matching purposes. And i'm sure you do. So rather, what you're suggesting is we use our ability to match whatever offer he receives as leverage in order to steal a draft pick from whoever attempts to sign him? That sounds risky but feasible I suppose. Just know that whoever attempts to sign him is basically going to forfeit whatever cap space or means they're using to acquire him AND a future draft pick -- that's quite the expensive proposition for whoever is trying to get him. Seems unlikely to me.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think the bottom line is this:

It would seem that Washington would be willing to give away Caron Butler and expiring deals for Tracy McGrady if they don't have to include anything else valuable. So, you compare any other potential trade in comparison with this baseline-scenario.

For those who want to take on Dalembert to get Iguodala, is the difference between Iguodala and Butler great enough for the Rockets to want to either (1) spend an extra $12 million + in tax considerations (in addition to the salaries to be paid) to bring back Chuck, Scola and Lowry, (2) letting Chuck Scola and Lowry go, or (3) dump Shane Battier (and probably lose either Chuck or Lowry at least) for free?

I very much doubt it. If Philly insist on packaging Dalembert with Iguodala, I think the Rockets just take Butler for next season and see what they can do with either Butler or his expiring contract.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I didn't like Tracy's softness or his behaviors but he had a great skill set.

Iggy can't create his shot,and is an unreliable shooter despite his ability to hit some big ones and finish around the basket. He can fit in with our new running style,with his age,health and defense,but he is overpaid. I don't know if he can make us better in the long-run even after Yao is gone.

7. Egghead

Egghead Member

There was an article out a day or two ago saying Young was untouchable...
    Speights has high efficiency rating like Carl Landry..http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3460... I think it would be very difficult to get Speights in a deal

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

how so? all of a sudden 30 is the new 36 around here...maybe it's the tmac effect. Guess how old is Yao? Many stars have won their rings around their early 30s...we cant assume that's over the hill in the NBA, he's got at least 3 to 4 more years. This year that team has just had issues and his production took a hit.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

GET IT DONE GET IT DONE

i love butlerr

10. saleem

I agree with you. I would rather get Haywood's expiring contract.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

If you assumed that I knew what I was talking about, then why did you question my post in the first place? :p

Also, what risk are you talking about? The risk would have already been taken when the Rockets trade for AI and Dalembert. At that point, retaining Scola at all becomes less than likely. A S&T for a draft pick would just be gravy, with Morey at least salvaging SOMETHING in exchange for a very productive player they'd have to lose due to taking on Dalembert's contract.

12. saleem

You're right. It's just hypothetical talk from most of us.

13. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I thought you were suggesting we S&T Scola for another player plus a draft pick. I was merely questioning how that would strengthen our cap situation if we were hypothetically taking back salary rather than just acquiring a draft pick. But we're not, so we're good.

The risk I speak of isn't from our end, it's for whoever tries to sign Scola under your scenario. Basically a team would have to risk their cap space or whatever means they're using to acquire Scola (MLE, whatever) AND a future draft pick. That all amounts to quite the pricey proposition that I have a hard time seeing any team agree to unless they BADLY want Scola. But hey, I guess if they can agree to it...it's better than losing Scola for nothing.

14. YaosDirtyStache

I dont want Cutler on this team, we already have a problem with turnovers...

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've always thought Butler was a tad overrated. Even so, we're starting to see a consistency to the level of the gossip. (actual GM to GM and beat writers ) We figured to pickup some real value on his contract and to see this begin to unfold warms my Rocket heart.

16. olajuyao

olajuyao Member

make it happen!

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wing players in their 30s are on their decline......most of them have their peak between 25-31......before their athleticism starts to wane.

DD

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

and i dont think i saw anyone mentioned arenas...wouldnt it make the most sense that the wiz are trying to unload arenas by throwing in butler? Not saying we'd take it, but that may be what they're offering.

19. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

There's our shooting guard right there. LOL

20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We don't need him near Carl.