1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Terrence Jones being shopped for a first round pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dockerland, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

This doesn't surprise me one bit rockets love to give away players like Terrance Jones... But guys like D-Mo and Parsons don't have nothing to worry about. I'm surprised we haven't signed Nachbar and Turcan back...

2. Nextup

Nextup Member

Jones rebounds and block shots, he doesn't fit what the rockets are looking for. They prefer the toughness and interior defense of p pat and Morris. Jones should be starting now.

3. Rocket_Man_2.0

Did I read this correctly..rockets are trying to trade Terrence Jones and not Ppat, Morris or Royce White...lol nice try..you almost got me!;)

4. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Look, Patterson and Morris aren't world beaters, but Jones just isn't ready.

Given all the PFs on this roster, even if the Rockets were to trade one of Patterson or Morris Jones still wouldn't get playing time ahead of D-Mo.

Looking forward, teams most likely will prefer one or two PF and a draft pick instead of 2 or 3 PFs, so I don't have any issue with the Rockets looking to trade Jones for a first rounder.

In a way, it's similar to the Lowry deal, where Morey actually went on record to say that teams looking to deal generally value draft picks more than comparable players, because they can pick whoever they want in the draft, whereas with comparable players, some teams simply aren't high on the guy, other teams have no need at the position and some teams that actually like the player don't have anything you want.

Thus, in a package deal the TOR 1st > Lowry :))) and a comparable 1st to Jones > Jones.

5. Nextup

Nextup Member

Jones isn't ready because he has zero nba experience. If the rockets started him off with 15 minutes a game, he would be ready to start by now. Morris is not ready and will never be ready to rebound and defend at the 4. P pat is not ready to rebound or play with the toughness needed to play pf.
    T Jones and d mo should be splitting time at the 4 and pat and morris should be gone.

1 person likes this.
  6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This better be the case. I won't be happy if we trade jones for a 1st rounder. In what world is that progress? Trade freaking Morris, Pat, or Smith. Wtf?

We were very lucky to get Jones in the draft. If the drft were held today he'd probably round out the top 10. He is a special talent. You do not trade him for cap relief or because you have a logjam with lesser talented 4s in front of him. If you are converting him into a more desireable asset for a specific trade, that's fine, but other than that, there is no reason to move him for a future 1st rounder. People are really underestimating how good this kid can be.

And people, please stop talking about trading Royce white instead. He has about as much trade value as used toilet paper.

#106 Aruba77, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  7. McWai

McWai Member

keep TJones, shop Royce "One of the city' s finest professional athletes" White instead, please.

8. larry cook

larry cook Member

im with ya, why trade terrence for that old man:confused:

9. quadsas

quadsas Rookie

Mirotic is really good. Not sure about him coming to NBA though.

10. larry cook

larry cook Member

this isn't to surprising, we did give up a young Rudy Gay for an aging spot up shooting Battier. U'd think management would learn from their mistakes but here we go again. We have plenty of shooters why give up one of our toughest players with a high ceiling?

11. slickricky

slickricky Contributing Member

This...

we better have a bigger trade or D. Howard better be a lock this offseason

Morris and PP aren't worth giving up on jones

Jones and DMO are the future at the 4 spot

I agree with everyone that if given the playing time both TJ and DMO will amaze us

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

relax.... they just want someone else do the developing job

13. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I would much rather trade Morris.

14. Aruba77

Sean Highkin @shighkinNBA about 4 hours ago
    Somebody has to jump on that Terrence Jones-for-a-first-rounder thing.

15. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

I think people here are really overvaluing Jones... Yeah I like him too and would like to see what he will turn into. But so far he has just shown, that he isn't quite NBA ready - there are lots of players like that and most of them are out f the league in a couple of years, some will turn into nice role players and about 1 in 100 turn into a star. I'd say his ceiling is somewhere between Millsap and Carl Landry...

Now we have plenty of talent at PF - I think we want to keep DMo as our guy to develope. PPat and Morris coud be had in trades I'm sure, but you won't get much in return. Their rookie contracts are expiring soon and they haven't shown much so far. But right now, they can help our team more than Jones.

Now the question is, what would help us more in the future - a developing Jones or a first round pick? Picks are usually way more helpful in trades... And we probably can't develope Jones and DMo efficiently at the same time. So I'd be fine with a trade.

1 person likes this.
  16. larry cook

larry cook Member

that guy from indiana would be awesome with harden... whats his name ola di po or something like that... lol? still wanna keep tj tho.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

these TJ trades developed some sort of life

18. Aruba77

^ excellent point, but I guess i ave a higher value on Jones than you do, and i don't consider Pat and Morris to be very serviceable. So I'm not interested in trading a guy who I think will be better if given the minutes and opportunity. Now it all depends on the trade scenario. I will keep an open mind. Is it too much to wish for a Henson - Jones swap? :)

19. Geronimo

Geronimo Member

TJ's ceiling is nothing more than a role player, he'll have a couple of a seasons of 11 points and 5 rebounds while shooting in the low 40's. I wouldn't trade him just for the sake of trading someone, but if it means getting a pick for the bigger picture later, so be it.

He plays with a Jay Cutler energy, doesn't really have the handles or lateral quickness to play the 3, so really, he's just another undersized 4 with some hops and no game with his back to the basket, and will probably fall in love with the midrange too much, except he's not LaMarcus Adridge or Chris Bosh...more like DeMarcus Cousins shooting.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He hasn't played much so that is your final conclusion?