1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Terrence Jones being shopped for a first round pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dockerland, Feb 20, 2013.

1. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

This guy may well turn out great, and I admittedly don't know much about him, but these videos don't mean much. It's a highlight tape... doesn't everyone look nice in a highlight tape? Does this tape even show he's any better than D-Mo? I'd like to see more than wide open 3's, free throws (lol, just like the Lin highlights), and playing against a 400 lb scrub.

[​IMG]

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

What re you talking about? They've signed every overseas player they've wanted except Lull.

Spinullous (i dont know how to spell it), Scola, Andersen, Donatas, Beverley.

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

[​IMG]

China is overseas and it worked out quite well. Until hit foot broke...:)

4. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

In 2011 the Chicago Bulls traded up in the draft to land the draft rights to Nikola Mirotic, a draft-and-stash European player, rather than make a play for a shooting guard. Almost instantly the entire city of Chicago let out a synchronized groan. That groan has long since disappeared as Mirotic has begun to emerge as the Bulls' best asset not named Derrick Rose.

Mirotic has done nothing short but amaze since he was drafted, albeit in Europe rather than in the NBA. In fact in the interim he became the first player in the history of Euroleague basketball to win their Rising Star Award twice. Now he's a contender for the third straight year—and has even been brought up as a MVP candidate.

In fact expectations have risen to such a point for Mirotic that Nick Gibson of Sheridan Hoops, who covers the Euroleague quite extensively, scoffed at the idea of trading Mirotic in a package that would net the Bulls the Los Angeles Lakers' Pau Gasol!

5. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

What does this say about Morey's approach. Does he regret taking the BPA in the 2012 Draft? The Rockets didn't give or get any PF's in the Harden trade so if we have too many now, then we had too many when Morey drafted him.

I do like Jones. I'm still undecided on who the better player is, Dmo or Jones.

1 person likes this.
  6. rockets137

rockets137 Member

For me, its quite dumb move if happened.
    Ain't Terrence Jones was a first pick himself.
    Not to mention, we just keep groomed him at D-League and he didn't well tested until now in real court, so what da hell with this trade.

7. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

I honestly feel like there's a good point somewhere in there.

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

This is the part I never understood! I wonder if OKC now wishes they could have left us with one of the picks (or Lamb?) and taken Patterson instead. They would look a whole lot better with him coming off the bench providing a little bit of frontcourt scoring, and a little bit of spacing.

9. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

C'mon man. That's copied word for word from Bleacher Report.

10. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

I'd honestly rather have Morris traded instead of Jones. Jones seems like the perfect back up 4 playing behind Patterson.

11. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

More on Mirotic..

"So what makes Mirotic so special anyway? To listen to some he's a stretch forward, which he is. Just be careful to remember that he's not just a stretch forward.

When you typically think of the stretch forward, particularly from Europe, you think of a player like Andrea Bargnani, the seven-footer for the Toronto Raptors, who is about as soft as a warm bowl of ice cream. He doesn't get to the line and he doesn't box out to get rebounds. He plays defense like absolutely nothing depends on it.

Mirotic is nothing like that. He's a bona fide scrapper. CBS Sports Dave-Te' Thomas says Mirotic's a "fiery competitor who can throw the elbow when he feels he is getting out-muscled." Te' Thomas also says he "will scramble for loose balls with little regard for his own safety."

He gets to the line frequently, averaging one free-throw attempt for every 1.7 field-goal attempts, a better rate than Kevin Durant, who averages one for every 2.1 field-goal attempts.

Mirotic is anything but soft. He's a hard-nosed player. He seeks out contact rather than shrinks from it. Don't think soft euro here.

We also look at stretch forwards as being somewhat clumsy when it comes to handling the ball. They're great spot-up shooters—just don't ask them to put the ball on the floor—but Mioritc's skills are such that he could play the small forward as well as the power forward.

He runs the floor exceptionally well in transition. He can also take the ball from the three-point line to cutting through traffic. He has an exceptionally pretty leaning jumper that he hits with regularity.

Mirotic might stretch the court but do not believe for a moment that he's a one-dimensional scorer. He can move without the ball and he can move with the ball. He can score in a half-court offense, and he can torch you in transition. He can post up smaller players, and he can get bigger players to leave their feet early, and score with what Thomas calls a "scoop shot."

And oh, yeah, he's not afraid of the big shot either.

Lest you think that this is just an issue of playing against European competition, it's worth mentioning that this preseason, Mirotic played two games against the Memphis Grizzlies and the Toronto Raptors and averaged 15.5 points and 9.5 boards in those two games.

When you think of European stretch forwards, you think of defensively challenged players but Mirotic is not only not challenged defensively, he's actually a pretty solid defensive player. While he can occasionally get backed down defensively, he does a decent job.

He's drawn comparisons to everyone from Dirk Nowitzki (shooting), to Andrei Kirilenko (defense) and to Toni Kukoc (ball-handling). Exactly what he'll end up being is impossible to say, but that's some pretty good company."

Is that scouting report enough for you?

12. allaroundplayer

Good point. Are you saying there may be nothing to it? We know the Rockets can't be happy with Morris and Patterson, because we've seen them play. Morey may be trying to fool other teams into thinking they are happy with them by pretending they would trade Jones, while actually wanting to trade Patterson and Morris. So if a team offers a non-lottery pick, he will say "not for Jones, but we will give you Patterson or Morris." We know if the Rockets trade Jones, it isn't because they have Patterson and Morris, like stated in that tweet. Furthermore, this is the type of trade which is usually made before the draft.

13. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

T-Jones > Mooks

14. charles_zed

charles_zed Member

But of course, because he can't hit the three we'd rather keep our D-Leaguer who does nothing other than occasionally get hot from deep.

15. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

yes. D-Mo > Mook as well.

16. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

I am not here to try and argue with you my fellow Rocket fan. :) I'm just trying to show you the scouting report on Mirotic. If you disagree, you don't have to be an a** about it. What did i do to you personally for you to act in such a way?

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

It's unfortunate that the Rockets both failed to move up the draft followed by the Harden trade. I feel like Jones was one of their lotto ticket for the next superstar, but now the Rockets no longer what that lotto ticket, given Harden and potential for recruiting Dwight Howard/others.

I think it's best for both parties that Jones go somewhere else. I'm curious to see the protection for any 1st round pick. Of course, my first inclination is to trade Patterson, since he's due for big raise in 2 years and has played awesome. But the Rockets seem to not want to give up winning this year.

18. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Seriously?? Guess we're going to end up with Royce White as the last one left of this draft.

19. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

i liked Mirotic since way before the draft, but come on. He's not the 2nd best asset on a team that has Rose, Noah, Deng and Taj Gibson.

Anyway, your argument right now has become "Mirotic is a more valuable asset than Joakim Noah, so lets trade Terrence Jones for Mirotic and Rip Hamilton." You went a bit too far there..

20. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure if you're serious but he wasn't an ass. I appreciate that you provided that scouting report, but you should try to provide some type of source. Without any source to what you copied and pasted, it looks like you ripped someone off.

1 person likes this.