1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Woj) Spurs buyout DeMarre Carroll, Houston frontrunners to sign him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Feb 17, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

6'7 Ryan Broekhoff 6'10 wingspan 40% from 3 this season.

cerophilik and don grahamleone like this.
  2. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

He is good as we lose Gerald Green and Gordon has injury. We need to sign more good players to upgrade our existing bench players

D-rock and BaselineFade like this.
  3. Chamillionaire

Green is probably a better defender and definitely a better athlete, but Broekhoff probably would have been more of a threat offensively. Hopefully Green plays better with Russ and James.

Love the DMC signing. This dude fits like a glove.

Adiano-Malko, D-rock and BaselineFade like this.
  4. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Our bench is suddenly rounding into shape. EG has to stay healthy. I wouldn't be shocked if MDA eventually starts Carroll.

A bench consisting of EG, House(or Carroll), Rivers, BMac, is pretty darn good for a "small ball" team. Thabo has been solid defensively as of late and he still has one of the better defensive IQ's in the league. Bruno and Green are the two wildcards imo. MDA said before the break that he hopes that Bruno is ready, but he didn't seem to be convinced. If Bruno and Green "fit" then we suddenly have one of the deepest benches in the league.

In our 17-18 season MDA did play 10 players occasionally. We started that season starting Ryno at the 4. PJ, Luc, EG, Nene all saw consistent minutes while Green was in and out of the rotation from time to time. MDA even tried to force Joe Johnson into the rotation. It's not a stretch to believe that MDA has to go at least 10 deep with the options that he has available to him.

I'm starting to get that 17-18 feeling again and we haven't even gotten started yet. I can't wait until this team is fully healthy, and our new guys get fully acclimated to our system. This is going to amazing!!

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

would love if carroll still has the legs to end up starting for us. his skillset is exactly what's missing from that lineup

D-rock, clutchdabear, B-Bob and 2 others like this.
  6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm with you, but those are not usually being bought out at this time of the season. Crossing my fingers that Moe Harkless gets bought, but it's understandable if he doesn't. Why would he want to lose his bird rights this early in his career?

D-rock, clutchdabear and saleem like this.
  7. Le$$

Le$$ Member

This is great the bench is getting a tad better, i really hope jeff green can come in and get some shots. good job morey :)

D-rock and BaselineFade like this.
  8. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

again why would u waste roster spota on guys coaches dont trust in the playoffs. not just mda btw. those end of the bench guys can be guys like ariza gerald green veta thats are situational that u can actually get a big time 3 or stop from....smart experience...to me, just my Philosophy is when u in when now mode its no point in development guys...i know a smart fan would point me to the spurs developing young guys. but i also think thats a product of necessity of a small market team.

then people will say but what about when harden is not good enough to win a ring. u then trade him n russ n get those picks back to rebuild. to me thats a simple more Efficient strategy. at some point you will come to the point where u think maybe its time to move on.

so me i go hard win now n worry about duture later, with the knowledge even later russ n harden are assets too

9. Bo6

Bo6 Member

this might be the first time MDA actually runs a 10 man rotation...in the playoffs

Hakeemtheking and D-rock like this.
  10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Once again...I'll bet millions that he doesn't.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, this time you do not have millions to bet. ;)

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Those 3 roster spots are already filled with players that will not play in postseason.

Tyson, Clemons and Harty are not only bad fits now but going forward.

Fill those 3 spots with players who have the skillset to actually contribute without altering our style of play. We will only see them during blowouts or emergencies anyway but better that the players have FIT and FUTURE with team.

6'10 Jonah Bolden (24)
    6'6 Justin Anderson (26)
    7'0 Dragan Bender (22)
    6'3 Tyler Johnson (27)

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Could not agree more, Bruno and Green are the wildcards.

Also our longest playable options.

BaselineFade likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

to me Bruno, House, Bmac are all the wildcards. We have no idea what these guys will look like in the playoffs. The last time we saw House in it, he looked completely lost. With Green, he's actually been battle tested and even been in the finals on more than one occasion. he's going to be a solid pickup for the rockets come playoff time for depth, something they so desperately needed a year ago

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Broekhoff is essentially a longer/taller McLemore (6'7 with 6'10 wingspan similar to Demarre) but better rebounder, defender and 3ball shooter (40% 3P).

BMac is better pure athlete however.

Chamillionaire likes this.
  16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Asked this previously with no answer...

Is Carroll signed or what?

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

he doesn't officially clear waivers til tomorrow

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Green is a bad defender.

Chamillionaire and J Sizzle like this.
  19. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Wondering when this will officially happen as well so he can practice with the team. May still be in waiver process.

JayZ750 likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree but it is not question of talent but of effort.

When motivated he is a very good defender.