1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Rockets intend to release James Nunnally if they can't find a deal for Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Jan 19, 2019.

1. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

That would be awesome. But i doubt they trade Zubat, he's too close to evolving into Golbat. Nah fr but that dude real good.

LoneStarDawg likes this.
  2. YallMean

YallMean Member

Not taking those ope treys and then missing all of them when he takes them. He mess up everything. The Nets game and the first half of this game. He is a negative. Rather not having him.

amaru and pippendagimp like this.
  3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Nunally just so looks so nervous out there. Shots flying all over the place and he seems lost on where he should be.

Rocket River likes this.
  4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Really tough situation for him to be thrown into but credit to him for going for it.

5. tallanvor

im sure i would be nervous as hell too, but not worth keeping him around if he can't calm himself and find his rhythm.

6. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

You're right, I don't know all the inner workings of the NBA salary cap. However, I understand more than my fair share of NBA player movement economics. I also don't think that any player deserves to be treated as a primadonna. However, I do believe that, while they are assets, there is a human component to building a winning team, and team chemistry is important. Treating players only as assets, and turning those assets over all the time is highly unlikely to ever lead to winning a championship. For example, you might think it was a coincidence that Eric Gordon played like garbage while all the Jimmy Butler trade rumors were swirling around. I don't.

Also, while Ben Average might be available at any time to replace Joe Average, doing so when Joe Average is doing his job well and the team is winning has a negative impact on team chemistry. Furthermore, other agents and players pay attention when you decide to not honor the contract you agreed to with Ben Average after banishing Joe Average to the G-League over a contract dispute. Especially when Ben Average had other lucrative offers that he turned down to join your organization.

#166 DVauthrin, Jan 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    kjayp likes this.
  7. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Europe, here he comes!

amaru likes this.
  8. DVauthrin

I never said the Rockets couldn't legally cut him before the 10-days are up. I just think it's a bad way to do business, especially when the player had other good opportunities he passed up to join the team.

9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

It does suck we won’t have another game to test him out (unless Melo is traded in the next 24 hrs). But Morey really has no other choice.

Yes, it’s something that can reflect negatively on him by an agent or future situation, but it’s not like we haven’t done right by people before, like Bobby Brown. This one is about roster spots, not money.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Strange cause last game he looked calm

Rocket River

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. tallanvor

Woj report came out this morning and messed him up. I dunno.

ak99999, saleem and mikol13 like this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am thinking so . . . I noted that earlier
    Every time we get rolling . .. some report says someone might get waved
    and then they go to ****

Rocket River

13. DVauthrin

Is it really a lot when you have had a player away from the team (Melo) wasting a roster spot for two months? Unless the Rockets can find a team with cap space that wants Melo, they are going to have to take back salary in the trade.

14. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

In your understanding that means they can't cut him?

A 10 day is a max time, not a minimum time. I bet Nunally understands he isn't owed a 10 day stay more than you seem to...

15. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It really seems they are either **** blocking someone who wants Melo but won't give an asset for him OR Melo.himself as coaches revenge!

16. DVauthrin

I never said the Rockets couldn't cut him at any time. All NBA contracts can be terminated whenever a team wants. They just have to fulfill the salary obligations required in the contract.

17. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

It is a lot. As you said, there is actually a chance Melo can be traded. It is possible. On the otherhand, there is zero chance to trade Nunally.

18. biff17

biff17 Member

have you thought that releasing him early that it might be beneficial to him signing in Europe?

Oh yeah his money is already guaranteed so what are going on about anyway?

He does not get anymore money if is cut tonight or the 10 days.

19. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Meh give him a few more games to get into rhythm

saleem likes this.
  20. tallanvor

Morey has said that a GM must be honest with players or he will get a bad rep in the league. I would think Morey told nunnally and his agent of their plans to possibly drop him after 10 day contract to create space. Woj report cant be too big a shock to nunnally.