1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WOJ: Rockets among suitors for Chris Paul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Trade Ryan Anderson, Lou Williams, and a 2nd round pick for Carmelo Anthony;
    Negotiate a sign & trade for Chris Paul using Eric Gordon, Trevor Ariza, Pat Beverley, and a 1st round pick;
    Trade James Harden for LeBron James; and
    Sign Dwyane Wade with whatever cap space you have left.

PG: Paul / Taylor
    SG: Wade / 2nd round pick
    SF: James / Dekker
    PF: Anthony / Wiltjer / Zhou
    C: Capella / Harrell / Onuaku

Start polishing those rings.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

For salary outgoing of 19.6m and higher, you can only take back 125% of outgoing salary plus 100k.

So if Milsap is earning 30m, you need to send out 24m
    If 35m, then 28m.

Vivi likes this.
  3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I don't really like the fit. I'd rather the ball be in Harden's hands than Paul's

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Ty Lawson? No, u can't compare Ty Lawson to CP3. Like I said, CP3 is the point gawd and a top 10 player. Harden will view a CP3 addition differently than he'd view a Ty Lawson addition, especially since Ty Lawson was a scrub the minute he left Denver and has to continued to be so after his stint in Houston.

YOLO likes this.
  5. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

I think if we go after CP, pretty sure that means JH is going to get traded

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

dude, c'mon now...

CP3 isn't gonna be in the corner waiting for Harden to give him the ball, Harden is the one who would have to lessen his ball handling and playmaking duties because CP3 will be the one controlling the offense

stop comparing CP3 to Ty Lawson...he's in an entirely different universe when it comes to running the point than guys like Lawson, Bev, or Lin

DMO (DJ remix) likes this.
  7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Sometimes, we need to look inside and re-evaluate ourselves.

Those "suspect role players" delivered 15+ more wins than you were expecting. If that's what we're doing again, I'll take it.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

we're trying to compete, not hope that some bum prospect taken in the 2nd round can come in and be a reliable player for us

BigMaloe and topfive like this.
  9. AXG

AXG Member

Paul's a great player but he doesn't address a need. The Rockets need to upgrade their frontcourt. Ariza and Anderson just aren't cutting it. That being said, I would welcome Paul in a heartbeat if we can unload the aforementioned players and maybe one of Gordon or Williams.

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

Plus our starting lineup would have 80% guys with first names as last names.

That's exactly the kind of thing that will give Golden State fits!

Pat and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  11. Reeko

Reeko Member

Seriously? CP3 is a far better decision maker.

MrSabotage likes this.
  12. 1Deep

1Deep Member

Wrong person bruh. That is not my post. Nice try tho. Never thought we would win less than 45 games last season. Please refer to this thread I made prior to the season.. http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/maybe-well-be-good.276444/

Thanks for coming..

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

people seem to be stuck on this belief that a cp3 just relegates 100% of the ball handling duties from harden. No there's plenty of time in a game, situations, lineups that allows both time with the rock. You look at any of the top teams in the league, especially the championship level ones, they all have multiple guys that get their share of time with the ball. That versatility is just something needed to win in this league.

Everything is personnel based and what's best to put the current team in position to be successful. that's just common sense. You put the ball in guys like harden's and westbrook's hands primarily because what are your other options? ariza or roberson. You get a guy like cp3, you would hope harden understands and would want to trust him with the ball as well. That is of course if he's all about winning and not being selfish. that's the only way it makes sense to get the ball out of harden's hands a bit. But again that doesn't mean both just watch each other dribble. Now, on the other hand it doesn't make sense to take the ball out of harden's hands to another player that can't impact the game without him. Even if it wasn't a cp3, lets say hou grabs PG or Hayward for example. Those guys aren't coming here to just sit on the 3 pt line waiting for a pass from harden. They would be here with the ball in their hands a ton as well.

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

based on the information that larsv8 provided and me rounding some numbers

we have about 12 mil in cap space...if we get rid of Ryno (20 mil) and Lou (7 mil) then we'd have enough to offer CP3 a max starting at 35 mil/yr

then if Millsap agrees to a starting salary of 30 mil/yr, then it would have to be a S&T that included Ego (13 mil), Ariza (7 mil), and Bev (6 mil)

so we'd have CP3, Harden, Millsap, Capela, Dekker, Harrell, and Onuaku and would have to fill the rest of the team with vet mins and whatever exceptions we have...so that would leave us pretty gutted

Vivi likes this.
  15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I mean let's be honest. Dwight is like a dumb bimbo with big fake shouldERRR boobs. Harden was also not known as a coach killer and playoff chocker yet.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

doesn't address a need? The rockets need another leader, star, added versatility offensively, a guard that still plays both ends. id say he addresses quite a few big needs.

CapelaOnlyFan likes this.
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You guys keep saying this but Harden has never proven to have this big desire or want to play off ball. Even in OKC he came off the bench for that reason.

I'm not comparing Lawson to CP3, but Lawson's role is Harden's role is CP3's role. They all play the same role. Harden is most effective playing with the ball in his hands. As for CP3 playing with Bledsoe, Bledsoe was the backup.

18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I wonder if Spurs, Lakers, and Miami fans are like "great, here goes our dumb GM again trying to sign players we have no shot at even though the are the best in the league."

I wonder if other fans are like "why even attempt or try, there is exactly 0% chance we can acquire this superstar"

Or if they say "hey, you know what it's a long shot and unlikely, but I applaud the effort"

Nah nah your right. That last quote would be stupid and asinine

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Meh,..."Rockets are always interested in big FAs so I'm sure they'll go after him." --- Not that Paul is necessarily interested.

Cavs:
    Cleveland is on a one-year plan. LeBron is a free agent again next year. Not only is there no guarantee, I'm not sure there's an expectation he's re-signing there. They feel within Cleveland & around the league he's in play to leave again & head out West to one of the LA teams. Miami again, based on what they look like. Would Wade go back? LeBron's business interests, Hollywood aspirations, his media ventures are based out there. The fact he came back & did what he set out to do, bring a title to Cleveland, that to me is...his future & uncertainty there not only impacts Cleveland but everyone else in the East. Boston, Toronto - instead of when will LeBron leave his prime, I think they're looking at as we may have just one more year we're sure of & proceed accordingly.

I think their core is locked in. They're not trading Kyrie. They continue to try & rebuild their bench. The hard part is...who is the next David West? Still productive who wants to chase a championship? It's one thing to do it in places near the water, it's harder to do it in Cleveland. While they'll still have a market for a guy who will take less near the end, Cleveland is less attractive because there is still a gap between them & Golden State and you're not confident you'll win a title there.

Gilbert & Griffin have not really talked about an extension. Gilbert has not made an offer to Griffin. He's risking Griffin saying I walk away from this & sit a year out. They have important decisions to be made this summer. The fact Gilbert let it go this long...this is not an easy team to run. LeBron, his group, Dan Gilbert, who is difficult to work for. Griffin has figured out how to navigate it all. You'd think that would have great value to the Cavs but I'm not sure what value Dan sees & he may not be able to replace Griff as easy as he thinks he can.

The team & players who will dictate how this free agency goes is the Clippers free agents.

Chris Paul - everything starts with Chris. Until they can get a commitment from him, it's gonna be difficult for them to then decide how do we build the roster out? Their options are many: bring back everyone. I don't see a scenario where all 3 will be back. Redick will almost certainly be difficult to re-sign. He has options mostly back East. They need to know with Paul before July 1. It will dictate Griffin. Does Chris staying help them? Does it make Griffin want to stay or more apt to go? There will be multiple suitors: San Antonio is certainly there. Houston will always get involved with a big player, having Harden & the core they have. They'd have to do some things with their roster. Spurs would have to do a lot. Miami, the Lakers are on the periphery. It's a lot of money to give up & I don't know how much closer he gets with SA, with the way they'd have to transform their roster.

Blake Griffin - Boston is really the danger for Griffin. Boston's two primary FA targets are Hayward & Griffin. They won't get both. They're both players who would potentially have interest. Griffin was there when Pierce came in for his last game in Boston. He saw how Boston reacted to Pierce & what it means to be a great player in Boston. Blake doesn't have enough left in his career to beloved like Pierce but it gave him a sense & it did not go unnoticed how that city & building love Paul. They're certainly a threat too in this. I think the Clippers are a unique situation. It's one thing to pay to keep Golden State or Cleveland around. It's another to pay this money to keep this team that hasn't achieved yet.

There's a real chance the Clippers & Paul, if they don't feel like a deal to be made on July 1, the Clippers can't wait around. They have contingency plans from going all in to rebuilding. That's unlikely but think of all the options. Re-sign Chris, let Blake leave, do a trade for Carmelo or bring in Carmelo with Blake. How do you get Carmelo? Potentially Crawford or Rivers or S&T with Redick if he was willing to go to NY. At this point, Carmelo has not decided he's willing to waive his NTC. They have talked to the Clippers in the past. Carmelo has issues & decisions to make about wanting to stay or leave. There's a part of him that wants to outlast Phil but there may be a time he accepts a deal. If he does, the Clippers are & have been at the top of his list. If Chris starts to visit teams, I'm not convinced the Clippers don't move on. We have too many other decisions to make. The clock on that will be interesting. Teams will find a place for Chris. Clippers have to put a hard deadline on it. I don't think they can wait on a Paul decision. Maybe they have to trade for a PG & keep the rest of the team together. That timetable will be interesting.

Raptors are in a comparable situation though not as dire. They've drafted well & hit on 2nd round picks. They're not in desperation mode but Lowry & Ibaka are free agents. They'd like to bring back both. It may be more of a negotiation. What number are we bringing them back? Kyle knows if he signs another deal in Toronto he'll have his number retired there & have a post-basketball life in Canada if he wants it. There's lot of reasons for Kyle to stay but again, what's the number? For Toronto, do they have to look at this like this is only one more year of Cleveland? They got drilled in that series. Ibaka had only come over at the deadline. There's reason to convince themselves we can get closer to Cleveland with a full year. Masai has talked about wanting Casey as coach, to make changes in their style of play. Too much 1-on-1. Their style has not translated to the playoffs. I know some people say they should take a step back. I don't know. They should keep knocking at the door. There may be a way in the next 2-3 years to break through in the East. That's a real possibility.

Last summer, Brooklyn wreaked havoc on the league. They forced teams to overpay to keep their players. This year, a couple of intriguing free agents. Kentavious Caldwell-Pope & Otto Porter. Brooklyn has the space to do it. They made a run at Crabbe last summer. Does Detroit want to max Pope? No they do not but are they willing to lose him for nothing? That's the gamble Brooklyn has to take.

Gordon Hayward pursuit will be interesting. Boston & Miami will be in aggressive pursuit. When I talked to Quin Snyder & I agree 100%, if he leaves Utah, it's not because of what they have there or what they aren't. It's geography, it's maybe I want to play in the East instead of West. It's pretty rare & I know there is growing speculation he could really leave, I'm not so sure. If he were to leave Utah, he'll be tortured doing it. He has a great, elite coach in Quin Snyder, who has helped him become an all-star. Dennis Lindsey has surrounded him with terrific talent on the upside. For Hayward, if it's a team on the rise, usually they don't leave. Horford knew Atlanta did all they could do. Durant felt I did all I could do. I don't think Hayward can believe that. They broke into the playoffs, beat the Clippers & look at who's around him, there's reasons to stay. If it ends up being about something else, that might be why he leaves. If it's Boston, maybe he gets caught up in the history & tradition, I get all that, but look at what Utah has done, what they've put around him. I'm not sure they could have done more for him. Miami will be aggressive. Spoelstra & Riley will make a compelling case.

One more RFA I keep hearing about is Tony Snell in Milwaukee. I think it's not unreasonable, based on conversations, $11.5-$12.5M. Teams realize with Milwaukee is there comes a certain number where they have to go into the LT to re-sign him and it's unclear to doubtful they want to pay the LT. Maybe he's a guy you can pluck away. You always have to overpay a little bit in FA but for him to walk away with a 4-year, $50M offer sheet with a player option or something after three, that's realistic for him.

#99 J.R., Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    craguin, heypartner, Rodman23 and 5 others like this.
  20. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

If we are going after Paul, we probably are pitching an Anthony/Harden/Paul scheme.

Capela
    Anthony
    Harden
    Bev
    Paul