1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Maury is trying to land another "wing"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Yordan, Oct 25, 2019.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I hope I'm underrating him. especially his trade value because I do believe we have to trade him to seriously improve because we didn't expand the Westbrook trade and Nene was nixed.

He's one of my favorites on this team and he's actually really a good guy off the court from everything i've heard.

I just think this team needs to play four out more and we cannot afford to have CC and RW in at the same time in clutch moments. That's why a guy like Holmes or Noel would be useful to provide what CC does to a much lesser extent but doing it while not taking too much of the payroll. Covington would play Center in the theoretical closing lineups. 6- 9 with a 7 -2 wingspan

Russ
    Harden
    Eric
    PJ
    Covington

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Why on earth would anyone trade Capela without getting an all-star like player in return??
    He's the only player on the Rockets over 6'8 that can play regular consistent minutes contributing to winning.

3. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

I don't think that's enough for Capela, personally.. Also, not sure why the Wolves would want Capela when they have KAT.

D-rock and Y2JT like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Gersson gonna trade rape the Rockets ;)

Gersson don't want Towns AND Capela AND Gorgui.

"He can always flip him later." Yeah except more than 2/3 of the NBA has a center.
    Maaayybbbee Hawks, Celtics, Hornets, Cavs or Spurs?

J Sizzle likes this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

listen.

i'd love to get Jonathan Isaac and Mo Bamba in a three way trade with Orlando and CC going to the Celtics or something but i'm just responding to Covington. There is no feasible way to get Covington without trading House, Tucker or Capela. CC is likely the odd man out.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. Fantasma Negro

House, Sefolosha, Fraizer, Nene and a first could work. The only guarantee is House so in essence its like House and a first for Covington. Then Morey could fill in the roster with buyout players

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

i seriously have no idea why minny would do this nor do I think those salaries even come close but I guess guys can be hopeful

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

And here's the rub...

Losing Capela to bring in Covington is not a step forward.

The Rockets want to make trades and win but they wanted to do it at a discount. They weren't willing to pay. They asked for this.

9. Sanity2disChaos

I’d do it. Not a big fan of Gordon anymore. He’s been streaky long enough. I would say sell high but those days are gone. Putting a 1rst with Gordon should draw interest.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

A) the salaries match
    B) I don't think Covington is that much better than House value wise.
    1) He's older
    2) he has injury history
    3) he's paid much more
    4) he's not under team control as long

That was a reductive post and you should be nicer to others who share their views vs dismissing them at first glance.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

i mean its well known fans tend to overrate their own players. and I'd venture to say that minny can get a much better package than that one being offered

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Maybe.

I think we are underrating House because we essentially got him for free.

I personally think he's our most valuable asset not named Harden due to three factors.
    1) he is a good starting level SF on a playoff team.
    2) he is under team control for two seasons after this one.
    3) he's being paid less than $5 million a year.

It's insane how valuable those things added up are. He's not necessarily a game changing star but his value is about as high as it could be as an asset.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

I think house has been solid overall. I don't think that's underrating him. He sticks to his role as much as he can and that's all we can ask. If there's not much difference between the two as you pointed out why do that deal in the first place. Couple that with giving up another pick when the rockets are emptying their pockets already to begin with

J Sizzle likes this.
  14. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Who is Covington? The rockets do not need a role player. Morey is still interested in Butler? Who is a very good wing player.

15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I wouldn't do it to be honest.

I think we need to add a Covington type to this roster with House and PJ Tucker on it.

I wish we could all be surprised and there is some way to turn Nene + 2 FRP into the package for Covington. I know the league nixed the original idea of having him be worth 2.5 guaranteed with up to $10 Million in incentives as tradeable yet waiveable but maybe there is a method to make it worth more than 2.5 that Morey hasn't shared with the public. (I know this is highly unlikely but it would definitely be best case scenario)

Rudyc281 and YOLO like this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

aka not happening

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, it's the "old" and "poor" part that prove to be the real deal-breakers. :D

18. JayZ750

Ok, but how would the answer to getting Covington for House, Tucker or Capela... be Capela??

Move House for Covington I guess - though not sure why, they're kind of similar players. If that doesn't work, trade Tucker - great guy, necessary guy, etc. but in terms of importance to the team is behind Capela.

Again, the Rockets have literally no one that is 6'8+, can play 30 minutes per game, and guard the interior in any meaningful way other than Capela.

We could trade Capela for Isaac, Aaron Gordon, Blake Griffin and the like and not get better. Heck, we can trade him for Paul George and still struggle. This is ABSENT a Capela replacement. I might do any and all of the above (obviously Capela for PG, lol) and take the chance I can find some kind of Capela replacement even if not as good... but I also think int he middle of the season its relatively overrated how easy it might be to find that replacement. It's not just trade for Nerlens Noel or pick up Joakim Noah (who's 733 minutes in the last two years is barely above Clint's 620 minutes played in 19 games this year).

19. JayZ750

I wouldn't do it either.

What we really need is a taller version of this player. Everyone's current man-crush - Jonathan Isaac - being the prototypical choice even though he's not a great 3 point shooter. But he's got to be the Magic's most unmovable asset at this point, even more so than future picks.

While a three team deal with the Celtics makes some sense on paper, it's still impossible to see a scenario where Orlando gets enough assets back. They could end up with Marcus Smart, Ben McLemore, Danuel House and picks... but there's nothing there that would entice them to move Isaac, or Isaac + Bamba, even if they were able to move a contract like Aminu in the deal.

Capela to Boston, Bmac, House to Orlando, first round picks to Orlando
    Smart, Semi Ojeleye to Orlando, first round pick to Orlando
    Capela to Boston
    Isaac, Bamba, Aminu to Houston

Works in the trade machine, but not enough for Orlando... even though I'd personally appreciate they'd be adding some serious defensive grittiness potential and more shooting.

20. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

probably the worst trade idea I've ever heard