1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: Butler Willing to Expand List if Wolves Can Make a Deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DonKnock, Sep 19, 2018.

1. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Lol none of those player make them blink. Like someone said. Gordan is actually pretty comparable to butler. Butler is better. But both are 2 way guys.

D-rock likes this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That's what everyone thought when Indy traded Paul George for OKC-version Oladipo and Sabonis. Roberson was an elite defender before his injury and Shroeder would be a quality 6th man for them. Is it a knockdown, minds blown package? Nope but I've learned to never count out OKC from any big-name trades.

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Phoenix really thinks they were going to get anything significant outside of draft picks for their participation? lol McDonough is not smart.

5. basketballholic

I'd be shocked if they do. That only puts them in the hole more. The Wizards are facing the repeater's luxury tax. And they've already been losing money. Your trade adds another couple million onto their cap which translates to, oh..another 5-10 million or so in luxury taxes. It would back them up even more and make them more desperate to move off salary at the trade deadline.

The Wizards are looking to cut salary. But, you never know. They've done stupid things before.

I could more easily see a 3-team deal with the Rockets or Kings and even possibly a 4 team deal involving both the Rockets and Kings, or even a 3-way trade now and a separate trade later to the 4th team. But most likely those deals would include Washington dropping lower in the salary tax or perhaps getting out altogether. And it would likely involve us taking on salary in some shape or manner.

#425 basketballholic, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
    Deuce and BigggReddd like this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Pretty simple fix, you throw in Thomas Bryant, consummate in November, and salary change becomes almost 0. If you're the Wolves, you don't give a F if that's convenient for Butler. Porter is a relatively good piece who, while expensive for a role player, is a fantastic long term role player at the right age to grow with Wiggins and KAT.

Doesn't sound like the Wizards are in there though.

jch1911 likes this.
  7. basketballholic

How do the Wizards unwind out of the tax? You're proposing trading for an expiring contract with neutral salary considerations. They're still got the same problem. Now what? Not only that but they've got to move multiple contracts out....So now they really need to add players to the roster.

They move assets out for Butler. Stay in the tax. Then have to re-sign Butler next summer and be in the repeater tax for the next 3-4 years????!!!!??!!??

Or else let him walk. Now they're short assets. Doesn't make sense.

The Wizards, unless they are totally insane, are looking for ways to lower their salary. Not higher. Not neutral while losing assets. L-o-w-e-r

#427 basketballholic, Sep 27, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Not sure what you mean losing assets. A chance at Butler vs being locked into Porter = an interesting proposition, given I would expect the Wizards to compete for ECF with that roster. Not that I see Butler getting along with the two whiny guards, but every team believes in itself obviously.

On salary, they can dump some salary next summer. Maybe Mahinmi and their pick in a salary dump. Even without dumping Mahinmi's expiring $15m, they are currently $16m short of next summer's LT threshold. It's not that bad at all.

They are not worried about their current salary. You don't sign Austin Rivers to $12.6m 1 year deal if you are worried about your team salary this season. They must be comfortable where they are.

I feel like you're married to the idea that Washington is in crisis mode about their cap. I don't agree or really care that much about it.

9. basketballholic

Lol. Minny isn't going to trade Butler for a bad contract.

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Back almost 20 years ago my friend and I went to a Rockets game. He followed them a little bit after that. I didn't see him for a while. We meet up at a bar 6 months ago and he starts telling me how he loves Curry and the Warriors now and that they're his team. I felt like I didn't even know the guy after that. Choosing to bandwagon with the Warriors is cowardice. He has zero attachment to the SF area... it kills me.

Long story short.. I don't actually talk to the guy anymore. F the Warriors.

11. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

I bet he wears skinny jeans and says “lit” now also.

don grahamleone likes this.