1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Austin Rivers returns to Rockets on 2 year deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

he got my respect

rarely you see something like this

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Houston Rivers has more faith in Houston than you people do.

Deuce, D-rock, 34to11 and 16 others like this.
  3. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Nice to bring back quality young pieces. Now we need a defensively versatile front court player who can finish and hit the three.

That said, the Warriors reloaded pretty fast snagging Russell...depth is still an issue but keep in mind this team minus Durant and Russell got to the finals...

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Austin Rivers — good dude.

D-rock, clutchdabear, sammy and 3 others like this.
  5. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

No Klay, no Iggy, no Bell, no Looney most likely. They’re hard capped and without Klay Thompson. They’re not going anywhere next year

clutchdabear and Hakeemtheking like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

pshh he doesn't move the needle. it doesn't matter how much of a paycut he took ;)

harold bingo likes this.
  7. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Russell is a nice get for them bc it allows them to flip him next offseason. He’s not integral to their long term plans and that team is not hosting a playoff series next year. He’s a decent asset for them to reconfigure next year.

8. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Good points. I forgot about no iggy and that they are hard capped.

9. PatBev

PatBev Member

How much of a difference is 5.7mil in other states compared to a vet min with no state income tax in Texas?

10. Rasheed

Rasheed Member

Austin Rivers needs to retire a ROCKET.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

He’s gonna be pissed when he finds out about Kawhi to the Lakers and that we’re no longer the team to beat

malakas likes this.
  12. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

You're exactly right. That's why I hit over 53%. If I had the pressure of Toyota Center, I may only hit 52%. And I'd understand why people think I was a bad FT shooter. Posters like to argue, but really, he's a horrible shooter. Maybe the worst under 6"3 NBA FT shooter I've seen in my life. If his best skill is penetrating and creating for himself, he needs to hit FT's at a professional level. I don't mind the Veteran Minimum, but while I do feel feel he'll overplay his contract, I feel he will underplay what is expected of a championship backup PG.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'll say it. I'm now and Austin Rivers fan.

Pat Bev for 3 years at $40 mil or Austin Rivers for 1 year at $2.2 mil? No brainer. He's already got a first step, he plays good defense and he's a good shooter from range. If he can work on his finishing at the rim and just get a little more consistent, he's gonna be a helluva player

D-rock likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

you would be a terrible free throw shooter in a professional atmosphere. quit kidding yourself

15. Asian Sensation

Loved him since day 1 as a Rocket. Glad he’s coming back.

16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

All the Rockets literally have to do is mature their philosophy

17. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Solid post topfive. I agree with a lot, but actually, I was sort of higher on Rivers when we signed him. He was huge for the Clippers in gaining that 2-0 lead against us in the playoffs when Paul was out, and absolutely lit us up the season before we signed. Didn't he go for like 35 against us?

He played great for the first few months but really struggled the rest of the season afterwards. Then, in the playoffs, he was very solid to be totally honest, but I feel like his jump shot was a fluke in the playoffs. I just don't trust his jump shot. I love his attitude, defense and intensity. Unfortunately, the 2020 Houston Rockets are going to live and die by the free throw line and the 3. Rivers isn't good at either.

I mentioned this in another post, I really feel Rivers will outplay his contract, but underplay what is needed from a championship backup PG. Rivers is the scratch-off lotto ticket that tells you that you won a dollar. What's the point?

D-rock and topfive like this.
  18. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with you, never said I'd be good. And if that did happen, Austin Rivers can come to Clutchfans and talk about how unreliable I am and I'm the worst FT shooting PG in the NBA. I wish that would happen because I would be a millionaire. Also, pay me a million dollars a year to work on my game and I honestly think I could hit 54% from the free throw line in a professional setting on my 7th year. I repeat 7th year.

19. jasonmurray29

jasonmurray29 Member

We shall see how that works out. I hope he is right and have a great deal of respect for him doing what he did.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

You also have to keep in mind that rivers doesn’t get to the line enough to even have his 1/2 free throws to be much of a factor. Getting to the line isn’t his game. So even if he was an 80% ft shooter it wouldn’t matter bc his game isnt focused on that

withmustard likes this.