1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wizzards sign Russell

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Easy, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/news/2002/09/10/russell_wizards_ap/

WASHINGTON (Ticker) -- Bryon Russell is best known for being posterized by Michael Jordan. Now he's a teammate of the player that gave him his unwanted place in NBA history.

The Washington Wizards on Tuesday signed Russell to a two-year contract after failing to work out a sign-and-trade deal with the Utah Jazz.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

An athletic small forward, Russell averaged 9.2 points and 3.8 rebounds in his nine-year career -- all with the Jazz -- and was a starter on both Western Conference championship teams in 1997 and 1998.

However, those Jazz teams lost twice in six games to Jordan and the Chicago Bulls in the NBA Finals. Perhaps the most enduring image of the 1998 Finals came in Game 6, when Jordan hit the winning jumper over Russell in the final seconds to give the Bulls their sixth NBA title.

Jordan came out of retirement last season and added injury to insult for Russell. In the first meeting between the two since the memorable shot, Russell suffered a hairline fracture in his pelvis guarding Jordan and missed the next 18 games of the season.

Ironically, the Wizards signed Russell, 31, to replace Jordan at small forward. Coach Doug Collins plans to use Jordan at shooting guard off the bench unless Jordan opts to retire.

"Bryon not only fills our need for an athletic small forward, but he also provides us with veteran experience that includes nine trips to the playoffs and two NBA Finals," Wizards general manager Wes Unseld said. "In addition to helping us win games, we are also confident that he will help in the development of our younger players."

The Wizards were hoping to obtain Russell in a sign-and-trade for salary cap purposes. They reportedly were to receive Russell and center Greg Ostertag from the Jazz for forward Christian Laettner, point guard Tyronn Lue and shooting guard Hubert Davis, but could not work out the deal.

Russell is projected to start at small forward with Brendan Haywood at center and either Kwame Brown or Etan Thomas at power forward. Hamilton will be joined in the backcourt by either Larry Hughes or Chris Whitney.

Russell averaged a career-high 14.1 points in 1999-00, but slipped to 9.6 points last season.

My hope of landing Russell ends.:(

2. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

He would of been a nice backup for our team. Atleast Utah loses one of its decent players.

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Woo hoo! Thats good news. Screw the Jazz. What the hell is their starting lineup look like now? What about the bench?

4. mfclark

mfclark Member

Stockton, Harpring, Kirilenko, Malone, and Borchardt (if healthy)/Collins (otherwise).

Whoever doesn't start between Borchardt and Jarron Collins will come off the bench, as will Raul Lopez (if healthy), DeShawn Stevenson, whoever else they keep at backup PG (Crotty, I think), and Amaechi.

Probably forgetting someone there, but I'm not sure.

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Wow! Okay...the revised Washington Wizards roster...

C: Haywood, White
    PF: Brown, Thomas, Laettner
    SF: Russell, Jefferies, Simmons
    SG: Hamilton, Davis, Jordan
    PG: Hughes, Whitney, Lue, Dixon

Okay...that's 15 players they have signed for next season. I guess that means they aren't going to try to resign Popeye, who was their best big man last season by a long shot. It also means that with the signings of Laettner, Hughes, and Russell over the past two seasons the Wizards will not be able to resign Hamilton AND a big free agent next year. They're going to have to choose between one or the other. Looks like RIP, a pheominally talented offensive player, will be gone next season because of these stupid, unexplainable signings. Good job Unseld/Jordan you 'effin idiots! I went to 19 Wizards games last season, but YOU'RE NOT GETTING A PENNY FROM ME THIS YEAR! (Well, except for the Rockets game of course) I swear, the Wizards are the only team who rival the Clippers for worst managed team in professional sports.

Anyways, I guess this means the Wizards can't sign anybody else. Grizzard, anyone?

6. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Anyone want to bet me that Kirilenko will be an All-Star in the near future? The Jazz's future definitely doesn't look good, but it would look a lot worse if it wasn't for him.

7. mfclark

mfclark Member

I'm not taking you up on that bet, DCkid. Kirilenko's going to be really good, that much I know.

As for the Wizards...Russell's signing could well mean that they don't think MJ is coming back next year and thus needed the depth at SG/SF. After all, they did trade Courtney Alexander for (in effect) Juan Dixon, hurting their depth behind Rip.

The future of the Wiz certainly won't be in the free agent market. It'll be in the development of Brown, Jeffries, and Hughes into productive players and filling in the team around Rip (assuming, of course, that they keep him after this season).

Wouldn't be surprised to see Simmons cut for Grizzard, though.