1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

With the trade deadline officially passed, Daryl Morey shifts his focus to the buyout market

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Fertitta just knows this team ain't winning.

2. aliadiere25

aliadiere25 Member

Yeah.... just remembered we just traded him. I think it's a worse trade in my opinion. Bell at least has defense.

saleem likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

idk about that. Bruno is a defensive first guy with a 7'7 wingspan. that helps the rockets more than bell to me. but alot of that depends on how much better hes gotten since he was last here

RudyTBag likes this.
  4. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

bmd representing tilman be like:

if the lux tax saving glove does not fit, you must acquit!

Dgn1 and J Sizzle like this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah just saw that. I like that 7'7 wing span!

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Actually seems like Bruno is more promising anyway - albeit that doesn't say much. But a stretch five would be amazing.

7. bmd

bmd Member

I'm not saying he hasn't tried to get under the tax. I'm saying people are acting like his entire goal is to duck the tax. I'm saying no, the goal is to improve the team, even if it means going into the tax. Getting under the tax is a last resort if nothing significant materializes.

Getting under the tax is the last option, not the first like so many here would lead you to believe.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Yes the Rockets had a deal for JaMychal Green and Garrett Temple and ownership drug their feet.

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Do you even believe what you are typing?
    If it was about getting players who can contribute, then WHY did they use assets to dump Ennis? Who was on a min contract, could have contributed this season, played 20mpg for Philly in the playoffs.

Ducking tax was totally the objective. Look at the history of Morey's dealings - he doesn't burn resources (picks/ team friendly contracted players) like he did last season to get a player of Shumperts value... Why would he burn all those picks last season?

Oh right. To dodge the tax.

clutchdabear likes this.
  10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

The evidence is on the table.

Ducking tax is the first option. There is no evidence to the contrary except quotes from fatmouth Tilman saying "oh yeah, I'll pay tax, I'm wearing big man pants" (and then he restructures players contracts so he can delay payments. loooool)

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

That's so sad

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

We’re legit about to have decades of uncompetitive basketball. Not sure some of y’all understand that. Tilman tore apart a contender. You think he’s gonna pay to build one?

13. Nook

Nook Member

Nope.

Three times he has had an opportunity to circumvent the salary cap and add or keep expiring contracts to trade and all three times he has declined.

He did it with insisting the Rockets trade assets to get rid of Anderson. He did it with the Westbrook trade and he did it with Shumpert.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I don’t mean this disrespectfully, but like...how can you honestly believe this? How can you honestly look at what has happened the past 3 years and with the information that has come out, and still believe what you just posted? This is just naive.

15. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

The thing is, once you're over the tax, something is more likely to materialize. You have larger contracts, larger expiring contracts and you still have your FRP's that weren't wasted ducking the tax. You're giving Tilman far more credit than he's deserved. He purchased a team that many people feel had the talent to win it all. He needs to spend like he has a contender. Teams don't just assume going in to LT gives them a ring, they do it and hope for the best if they are a contender. I believe Tilman guaranteed the city a championship, but is also sending mixed signals but saving money because we're not a contender.

The worst part of all is the was the only year the Rockets had a chance. Once the Warriors get healthy and trade their new massive hoard of picks(including 2 lotto picks) for a another superstar, that will be a wrap for another 5 years. I don't want to see the Rockets get bounced by the Dubs 8 out 10 years. This season was really our only chance.

16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

cyber also

17. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Also to all the people that say the "team is better", sure we're closer to the 2nd round now, but further from the Championship.

J Sizzle likes this.
  18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's a bit much.

We have two MVP studs that we just combined with arguably 2 of the top 5 defenders in the NBA. All locked down in their primes.

Then you have EG locked down and he is a monster in the playoffs, and Rivers/Ben/House all growing up before our eyes in this system. I'm also high on Clemons and Stein, and hopefully Bruno figures it out.

We are not in a bad spot. The lack of 1st round 2024 and 2026 picks can be overcome. Hell, I like Clemons and Stein more than 80% of lottery players to come out in the last couple of years anyways.

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

I am not a fan of Tillman from what I see - at the same time I simply don't know how much he is directing things vs. Morey. Westbrook seems like a Harden driven thing. Is there anyone who actually knows how much Tilman is directing these kinds of trade decisions around saving money?

20. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

You're not looking long term enough. The next 5 years may be good (and that's an extremely generous estimate) but if we have Fertitta for 25 years? We are screwed.